Night of the Monster

The Only Chapter

Once upon a time there was a man. He was going through a rough time in his life at the moment. His girlfriend broke up with him, he was about to loose his dead-end job, and he was always drinking and depressed.

This man had a rough life, his foster family never loved him the way he wanted them to, while his real parents were drug addicts that neglected him and the only time they even acknowledged his existence was to beat him, and a number of traumatic experiences that had built up over the years.

Well, this man was walking home from The Loser, a bar that was his home away from home, planning to kill himself. He was going over the details on how to do it crossing off the things that he thought wouldn't work.

"Hanging? No it could go wrong... Overdose... Yeah, I like that but I also like the idea of drowning..." He had never thought he would find himself here and that the most important decision he ever made in his life was how to end it!

Soon he heard a scream. It was the most horrible, terrible, blood-curdling scream he ever heard in his life and it terrified him. But he always tried to be a nice, good person so he decided to delay his death and go help whoever screamed.

He followed the screeches into a dark alleyway where a woman was being attacked by a monster of a man. This person was at least 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide. The man jumped on this monster and it threw him off like a rag doll. He was laying in a puddle when the monster picked him up and held him by the throat.

"Why did you help her?" It asked in a enraged growl.

"L-let me go, I c-cant breathe." the man choked out.

The monster-man dropped him and turned to walk into the light. And the lamp light revealed that he was, in reality, a monster. Its face was all contorted into a savage expression deformed and it had horrible fangs that made it slur when it spoke.

"I will not kill you," the thing said, "in fact as a reward I will bless you... But if you ever tell another soul about this night, about meeting me, everything you've gained will be lost..." It told the man as it walked into the shadows and vanished.

The woman that was attacked was left lying, shivering, scared to death in a pooling puddle of blood.

"Wake up!" The man shook her.

She opened her eyes and stared at him, as if she was in a world other than this and he was no more than a hallucination caused by her terror. Then, reality snapped back and she started to cry.

"I'll bring you to a hospital" He said.

"No! Please, I was attacked by this... this creature and I'm scared, just please take me home."

So he took her to his crummy apartment and they sat on his bed talking about what had just happened to her. He did not notice until now how beautiful she was. Her beauty was unsurpassed by even the most famous supermodel. She was perfect. And even though she was inhumanly beautiful on the outside, she was twice as beautiful on the inside.

She wasn't from this country, she was living with her great aunt since her mother died a few days before.

"I don't understand. I just came to this country, I have nothing of any value and still I was mugged." She muttered.

"I don't understand either. What was that thing talking about..?" he asked himself under his breath.

"Why? What did it say to you?" she asked, confused.

"Oh, nothing... Its nothing..."

Years went by and things got much better for the man. He and the woman that he met that night got married. But she forgot all about that night, thinking it was a bad dream. He was now an artist, well he always was but his work was not selling very well at all. But after meeting her his paintings started selling like crazy. Newspapers and magazines were calling him "the next Michelangelo".

He brought the house of his dreams, in the mountains of Colorado. And he had two, intelligent, handsome, talented sons. Life was perfect. But thinking of his blessing as he sat on a balcony looking out at the mountains, he cried.

"Whats the matter?" his wife came out when she saw him crying.

"Nothing." He sniffed.

"Then why are you crying?" She rubbed his back.

"That's exactly why, nothings the matter..." he whispered. "There's something I really want to tell you about, but I cant."

"What is it? Why not?" She asked, looking at him with concern.

"I feel like I have to tell you if I want to be happy again." He continued, ignoring her question. "Yes, I have to." He decided.

Taking a deep breath, he began. "The night I met you I was planning to kill myself... Then I met this monster when I came to rescue you and it did the strangest thing. I thought it was going to kill me but instead it rewards me and vanishes... Its weird how the night I met you was the night I was reborn... And all because of that monster..." He stared at his wife, looking to see her reaction. She stared back, emotionless.

Silence...

In a moment he hears cries coming from the children in their rooms. When he rushes to them to see what was wrong he finds that they've transformed into little monsters, just like the one he met that night.

"I told you," his wife said as she walked up behind him, only she was no longer his wife. For she had changed into the monster before his very eyes. "You had everything, we had everything, the perfect house, the perfect kids... The perfect life! And all you had to do was keep your mouth shut! Now no one will be happy!"

With that it rips out his heart and he dies... The monster was true to its word.
♠ ♠ ♠
We will never know why he wasn't allowed to tell anybody about his encounter, and we never will... Was it some kind of test? Or do forces unknown to us just like to screw around with our feeble human minds and emotions?

Hmm....