Baby I've Got My Eye On You

Eleven

11 am the next morning and I found myself tapping my fingers away on the kitchen unit, knowing that the sheer, minimal sound of my nails against the laminated surface would be a knife through my sisters well hungover brain.
'Tap. Tap. Tap'.
She cringed.
'Tap. Tap. Tap'.
“Roz fucking stop it” she grumbled burying her face in the long sleeves of her pink fluffy dressing gown.
'...Tap. Tap. Tap'.
She picked up an apple from the bowl of fruit that sat to the right of her and through it across the kitchen in my direction. I giggled as it flew over my shoulder and in to the sink.
“Missed” I said biting my lip, causing her eyes to blink open and give me a demonic stare. As intended, she let out a small laugh and a weak smile at my pathetic efforts to cheer her up. Yes, annoying the living hell out of people is my way of making them feel better. It works with Beth at least.

“Are you going to get a shower?” I asked “you stink”
“Thanks Roz” she grumbled.

I felt so bad for her; she had been with Tommy since she was eighteen, three years. I recall one night last year when she pulled me in to her bedroom at midnight because she was seeing him the next evening and was sure he was going to pop the question. We giggled excitedly, both of us nervous about the suspicion: the night after I helped her do her hair so that she looked gorgeous; in the end, Beth went round and Tommy had no big news for her, and the only question her asked was what film she wanted to go see at the cinema. Beth loved him, I was sure of it. Like myself, she was in complete denial of her own name, she wanted to completely detach her self from the very thing and just be known as Beth, which of course is what everyone called her… but not Tommy. To Tommy, Beth wasn’t Beth, she was Elizabeth, and she let him and only him call her by it. To me, knowing my sister at least, I knew that that meant something special. She loved him. And now he had told her he didn’t love her, and I felt sick for her.

“How about you go get a shower or something and I’ll go in to town, pick up some painkillers, a DVD and some ice ream for when you feel better” I said optimistically. Chick flick and ice cream. How original.
“Yeah that sounds good” she said stretching, “How are you getting there? Is your limousine picking you up.” The look on her face was so serious that I wasn’t sure exactly what to do. She looked like stone. I was hoping that she wouldn’t remember going home, and that the later half of the night would be a complete blank like last time. Lightning never strikes twice, I suppose.
“Ah…” I said, thinking of an excuse. She raised an eyebrow and smirked.
“Yes, little sister I do remember.” She laughed, thankfully. “Those guys are always at Tommy’s… they’re quite a bit…older than you you know don’t you?”
I nodded
“I only know one of them…”
“Yes, you were getting to know him quite well if I remember rightly”
I felt my face getting hot.
“Well-”
“Basically Roz, if they were good enough to carry be home when I’m in an obliviously hammered state, I approve. It’s not like I’m going to be a hypocrite. I mean, Tommy has a good 4 years on top of me. Well… he had a good 4 years” she went back to her previous state of depression, and I gave her a weak smile. I was happy that she was understanding, but at the same time felt so guilty that just as her romance was ending, I was playing tonsil hockey with Syn and she knew.

She got off her chair and walked towards the corridor leading to the bathroom.
“Raspberry” she turned and said to me.
“What?”
“Get Raspberry ice-cream” she smiled and shut the door.
After returning from the shop, I placed the ice cream in the freezer and passed the pills to Beth, who was now lounging on the couch with soaking wet hair, watching MTV. I let out a great sigh as I thought about the night before. How much difference would it actually make if Syn were in a band? Of course, it obviously made him a thousand times more attractive, but the competition was huge. I looked over to my computer and the thought occurred to me that if I hadn’t heard of his band, or him himself, then maybe they weren’t that big a band, success wise. Of course the limousine said otherwise, but there was still a chance.
I opened up google.

Synyster.
Results 1 - 10 of about 421,000 for Synyster.
Synyster Gates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YouTube - Synyster Gates Solo...
Synyster Gates - AOL Music...
MySpace.com - SYN GATES Clothing - 66 - Male - Worldwide ...
Buy Schecter Synyster Custom Electric Guitar online at Musician's ...
MySpace.com - Avenged Sevenfold - Huntington Beach, California ...
Amazon.com: Avenged Sevenfold: Avenged Sevenfold: Music...
AVENGED SEVENFOLD LYRICS...

I swallowed hard. His band was huge. He was well and truly a fucking rock star. Google was fucking stuffed full of pictures of him, there was magazine interviews, music videos, fan pages, hell – he even had a clothing line. What’s more, I had even heard of Avenged Sevenfold, my friend Sally listened to them a lot, it was amazing that I never put two and two together.
After twenty or so minutes of browsing and wondering whether what I was doing could be considered stalkerish, I heard a squeal from the living room. I jumped up, going through to see what was up with Beth, and she was on her knees on the floor, remote in hand pressing the volume button furiously until the sound reached it’s highest level.
“What the fuck are you doing?” I asked standing beside her. She just pointed, unable to speak.
I looked at the screen.
It was Syn. Synyster Gates. It was Avenged Sevenfold.
Coincidence or what?
I wasn’t ready to explain any of this to Beth yet, Jesus I had only just found this out, but as the video finished, Beth turned to me completely gobsmacked and said: “You have some explaining to do Lady.”
“Well…what?” I said quietly.
“What!? What? You’re seeing a rock star, Rosie! This is huge”
Was I seeing him? I wasn’t sure what I was doing, or what my relationship with Syn was or meant. All I knew was that I’d sat oblivious next to him on a park bench every week for five months, not knowing that he was in one of the most famous bands in the world. I had kissed him twice, not knowing that he was in one of the most famous bands in the world.