Painful Confusion

Chapter 2

A quick splash of water on my face always woke me up and cleared my thoughts. But now, I think I needed a little more than that.

The past week had been hell. Every night since the midnight call, Jessica had stayed the night. She only left briefly left to get more clothes and pack a few more of her belongings into cardboard boxes. It was getting hard not to break down and cry in front of her.

I loved her as a friend, I liked her as more. And now she would never know.

"Lore?" my mother whispered through the bathroom door.

"Yes ma'am?" I answered.

"Can I come in?" she asked.

"Sure."

The door opened and my mom stepped in.

"Is Jessica around?"

"No ma'am," I said, muffled by the towel I was using to dry my face.

I only heard silence, then my mother's sigh.

"When is she leaving?"

"I don't know."

"Oh, well I was just wondering, because we're about to have a full house," she informed me.

"Really? Why?"

With a sigh, she mumbled," Leah's coming home."

"Is that a bad thing?"

A knock on the bathroom door prevented my mom from speaking. Jessica walked in and met my eyes.

"I'll give you girls some privacy," my mom said.

She rushed out before I could protest. Jessica's face was serious, and she stared me in the eyes.

"What?" I mumbled cautiously.

"I love you."

"Jess, I love you too."

"No, I mean..."

She didn't finish, she just pulled me to her and pressed her lips to mine. She tasted minty from her toothpaste and salty from the hot air. Her lips were gentle, soft, and warm, but the kiss sent shivers down my spine like electricity. My hands intertwined with her hair before her hands snaked around my waist. A second later, I was being hoisted onto the bathroom counter. She only pulled back for a second so we wouldn't bump heads. We kissed for fifteen minutes straight before coming up for air.

"I love you too."