Lost Forever in Eventide

1.

Chapter 1:

It was 12:32 in the morning and I couldn’t sleep as always. Father and the others where in the other room discussing there ‘hunting’ for the next night to come. No not your normal hunting, feeding rather. My father, Arthur, and the others are vampires. Creatures of the night. As for me, I am a human. The only one in the village might I add.
Its quite difficult living in a town with vampires as the residents, but I have grown used to it. Its been like this since I was four. You see before the day of improvement we were just an ordinary human family living in the hidden village, my mother was still alive and we lived happily amongst other humans. But my parents, at the time knew what I did not. That our lives would soon change on the 1st full moon of the new year.
“Audrey” my father called from the other room. Of course he knew I was awake. Vampires’ hearing and other senses are much better than humans.
My father walked into my bedroom and smiled “Couldn’t sleep again I see, Honestly Audrey, what am I going to do with you?”
“My apologies father I guess my sleeping habits were altered due to my being in the presence of Vampires everyday. Or I could be suffering from insomnia”
“Nonsense child, you just refuse to sleep” he pointed out.
“perhaps”
“Well, enough talking. At least try to go to sleep. Ill see you in the morning. Sleep well”
“Thank you father.” He smiled and left my room.
~
I was laying on my bed for a while until sleep finally caught up with me. I dreamed about my mother. How beautiful she was. I remember her face perfectly, and I refuse to forget it. In my dream I was four years old and walking with my mother and father to a village close to ours. It was the first full moon of the new year. Once at the village, two men caught my eye. One was tall and handsome with radiant golden hair and the other was short and very buff with long brown hair. I noticed the short one staring at my mother and the other at my father. I didn’t understand why then, but I do now. The short one removed his shirt and walked closer to us and as I stared at him I noticed that he was growing fur. My mother screamed “Not while the child is here!” She picked me up and held me close , my head buried in her chest, as she tried to shelter me from seeing the transformation. She was too late, the man began transforming faster than my mothers reflexes to shelter me.
Then I woke up. Sunrise already. I sighed. Every night is the same dream. I’m not even sure if its considered a nightmare. As hard as I try to forget that day, it always comes back to haunt me.
I got out of bed and changed into my everyday long dark crimson colored dress. I was the only one in the village that wore something other than black. The vampires refused to wear anything colorful. Plus they could tell who the human girl was because of this dress. My father was the only one that acknowledged me. He’s changed a lot since he became a creature of the night, but he still has his father instincts.
Once dressed and decent, I walked outside just In time to see the males returning from there “hunt”. I simply ignored them as they did to me.
I looked up at the sky. Cloudy and foggy as always. In this part of England its always like this., never sunny nor rainy just stuck in the middle. This was perfect weather for vampires, since they cannot live in sunlight.
“Admiring the scenery?” my father appeared right beside me and I jumped startled. I should be used to this already.
“I guess you can say that.” I finally said.
He smiled “I have a favor to ask of you, Audrey. Tonight a few vampires from a different clan shall be joining us. I want you to be on your best behavior” I opened my mouth to asked him something but he motioned his finger so I could let him finish. “ because you are going to meet them.”
“Pardon?” I asked confused. Whenever vampires came for a visit I was always told to stay in my room as if I never existed. Why the sudden change?
“Our leader, Nathaniel, has informed the travelers of you because his brother, Luther, is one of them. He is eager to meet the human girl who lives with the vampires. At least, that is what Nathaniel told me." I didn’t know what to say.
“I…I see.” I paused “am I to talk or shall I be mute?” I asked sarcastically but truly wondering as well.
“Speak if you are spoken to and please pick your hair up you must look presentable.” My brown curly locks were as I always had them, falling down to the middle of my back.
I didn’t argue.
“Yes father.” why must I pick my hair up? This is preposterous.

I walked to my bedroom and grabbed what I thought would work best to hold my hair up. A rubber band. I picked up my hair and put it into a bun, and after I made sure I look presentable enough I walked back outside to show my father.
“perfect” he said. “Now, do as you please until Twilight, that is when they will arrive.” Then he was off. No doubt he was making sure everything and everyone were ready for the newcomers.
~
I stayed in my room all day reading. It was a new book I just started “A Great And Terrible Beauty” by Libba Bray. I am quite fond of the narrator Gemma, strong and independent. I wish I could be like her. She moves from India to England and still manages to make friends. I sigh. Friends. The truth is. I don’t know the meaning of friendship. I have never even been close to having a friend. You can argue that am anti-social. But I’m not! I honestly do what a friend, terribly, but everyone In the village, accept for my father, refuses to acknowledge me.
I glance outside. Sunset. Its almost time for the Luther and his followers to arrive. I close my book and place it on my nightstand, and look in the mirror just to make sure I’m decent. Alright. I’m off.