Just to Hold You Close and Tight

Just to Hold You Close and Tight

Image

When we got back to my house, it was only eight.

“You’re home early,” my mom pointed out. I was just about to make a smart remark about her stating the obvious when she continued, “How was your date?”

Now instead of being sarcastic, I was angry. Trying to control my outbreak of emotion, I clenched one fist. Attempting to speak calmly, I said, “I already told you, it wasn’t a date. I was just going out to dinner with a new friend of mine. Okay?”

She looked at me blankly for a second, and blinked. “Oh. Sorry,” she said, backing off.

I sighed, knowing I had hurt her feelings. I went to my room without another word.

I sent my friends a quick email, telling them about Ray’s friend Ben. After hitting sent, I spun my chair around to face Ray.

“Do you think he liked me?” I asked.

He was taken off guard. “Of course he did.” Then he laughed. “Trust me. You’d be able to tell if he didn’t like you.”

I smiled. “I believe you.”

I took a shower, did some homework and climbed into bed at nine. I figured I could get a few hours of sleep before I snuck out.

I slept how I normally did: under a sheet with Ray’s arms around me, cradled in his chest. He woke me by stroking my side and whispering my name into my ear.

I got up, smiled, and pulled the sheet off my bed. Handing it to him, I whispered, “One sleeping bag, one sheet.”

“If you want,” he said, shrugging, but he looked as if he was much more pleased with my decision than he would admit.

It was a little colder out. Summer was coming to a close. I pulled on my hoodie and held the sleeping bag closer to me. I realized that soon it would be too cold to sneak out.

When we got to ourplace, I spread out the only sleeping bag. Then I wrapped the sheet around me and climbed into it. Ray followed. The sleeping bag was pretty big, so we weren’t squished, but we were comfortably close. I wasn’t cold at all.

Ray had the arm closest to me around my shoulder, acting as my pillow. I was quiet for a long time. I was trying to think of the perfect thing to say… and I found it. “Ray,” I whispered. “Do you know that I would do anything just to hold you close and tight?”

He took time to think of a good answer. Finally, he said, “I know. I would to anything to be alive again.”

I laughed. “Isn’t it funny that even after people get what they need, they still want what they can’t have?”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“I mean that even after I got what I needed – you to keep me from being alone – I still want what I can’t have.”

He sighed. “You’re so right. Even after I got what I needed – to stay on earth – I still want what I can’t have. I guess that’s how it always is, though.”

I sighed too. What I wanted right then was to kiss him. I wanted it more than I had wanted to kiss anyone before. I wondered if it was simply because I loved him more than I had loved anyone before, or if it was because it was totally and completely impossible. Then I realized the answer didn’t matter. It didn’t change how I felt.
♠ ♠ ♠
No, I'm not really near the end. Please comment!