Just to Hold You Close and Tight

Responsible Enough

Chapter 45: Responsible Enough

Image

So there I was, eating a perfectly peaceful dinner with my parents. It was a nice steak dinner, too. I was dreading ruining it, but it had to be done.

I took a deep breath, deciding to drop the bomb quickly. “Mom? Dad? I’m moving back to Miami.”

My mom dropped her fork, making me wince. “What?” she said quietly.

My dad recovered more quickly, and he used his parenting voice. “Oh no, you’re not, young lady.”

This was going to be difficult. “Yes I am, Dad. I hate it here and I miss my friends.”

“What about that boy?” my mom asked.

I sighed dramatically. “I like him, but that’s not enough to keep me here. I’ve made up my mind. I’m leaving.”

“I’m not going to let you do this,” my dad said.

“I don’t need your permission,” I replied, looking at my nails. “I’m an adult now. I’m going back.”

They were frozen in shock when they realized I could leave if I wanted to. Finally, my mom said, “Why did you even tell us this? Why didn’t you just leave?”

I put my face in my hands. “Mom, I’m not leaving because I don’t love you. I figured I’d finish my last year of high school in Miami, where I know people. Then I’ll be going to college anyways. I thought that if I asked nicely – begged – that you would help me pay for it.”

My dad laughed. “Are you kidding? Why would we help you pay for something we don’t approve of? No, we aren’t giving you money, so you aren’t going anywhere.”

Now it was my turn to laugh. “You think I’ll stay if you don’t give me money? Sorry, that’s not going to happen. I’m going to Miami. I was hoping you would understand. Please, it’s not that I don’t love you. I just need to go back to Miami. I was hoping you’d love me enough in return to help me out.”

My dad’s face was turning red, and I suspected this was going to turn out badly. “This is-” he started, but, surprisingly, my mom interrupted him.

“Maybe she’s right. We can’t keep her here, she’s too stubborn. What we can do is help her. We could get her a place near her friends, have their parents keep an eye on her… She’s not irresponsible,” she said.

My dad glared at her. “Is she responsible enough to live on her own?”

I wanted to tell him that I was, but I was too stunned. It sounded like my mom had already made up her mind, she was in my favor, and she was trying to convince my dad.

My mom looked me over carefully. I smiled sheepishly. I knew I probably looked very responsible, unless my red dyed hair was a mark against me. Looking back to my father, she said, “I think she is. I really think she is.”

My dad eyed me cautiously and sighed. “Are you completely positive about this? I’m serious. Are you sure?”

The way he was looking at me made me think. Was I really sure? I was leaving my parents. I hadn’t thought about the magnitude of what I was doing until that moment. My parents seemed to think I was responsible enough, but were they right? I knew I wouldn’t be alone, though. I could do it. I nodded solemnly.

Rubbing his temples, he replied, “Okay. We’ll have to make some phone calls, find a place for you to stay. I’ll tell you right now, though. I don’t approve of this.”

“I’m sorry you feel that way,” I said grimly. Mentally jumping for joy, I added, “Thanks, though. I love you guys. I won’t disappoint you.”

“We know you won’t, honey,” my mom replied. “How soon are you planning on leaving?”

“Um…” I said slowly, not wanting to upset her. However, I wasn’t going to lie to her. “As soon as I can. Friday at the latest.”

“We’ll pay for your apartment and your plane ticket, but that’s it,” my dad warned me.

“I’ll get a job,” I replied.

“Okay,” my mom said. “I’ll call Mel right now.” Mel was Gabby’s mom.

“Oh!” I exclaimed, jumping up. “I have to call Gabby and Chelsea!”

Before they could stop me, I jumped up from the table. Leaving my dishes unattended, I ran up the stairs. I knew they would be so excited! I had to dial my phone quite a few times before getting it right because I was so excited.

Gabby didn’t answer, so I called Chelsea. She picked up after the third ring.

“Hello?” she said.

“Chelsea! Guess what?”

“Hey Amber! I haven’t heard from you in ages. What is it?” she asked eagerly.

“My parents are letting me move back to Miami!” I exclaimed.

“No way!” she squealed. “Are you serious?”

“Yes! They’re letting me get an apartment.”

She paused for a second before saying, “Don’t get me wrong, Amber, I can’t wait for you to get back, but weren’t you getting adjusted in Denver pretty nicely? I mean, you have a boyfriend and another friend, don’t you?”

Crap. In my excitement, I had forgotten that I was supposed to call Ray before I called my friends so that we could get our story straight. “Um, I have to go, sorry! I’ll call you back in a few minutes, okay?” I said quickly.

“But-”

“Bye!” I said, cutting her off.

“Bye,” she said reluctantly, and I hung up my phone. Then I started dialing Ray’s number.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright so... there's another one for you.
Please comment. Please?