I Love You, I'll Kill You

On The News

Image

I felt like I had never been betrayed more. I couldn't believe I had been so naïve. So many clues had been given to me, and yet, I still fell right into the trap. Now I felt more miserable than ever. If the car crashed, I would only hope to die. I was expecting Desmond to do something extreme, but he remained quiet the whole car drive.

After we had left Dawn’s and Ivan's, we were back on the road, neither of us speaking. I refused to speak; only glare. Some would call me ignorant and difficult, but I learned in the past two days that if I wanted to get back at someone such as Desmond, you had to remain silent. I could feel hate course through me, stupidity for ever thinking he would be the nice guy. Hell, I found him worse than Cain, the guy who wanted me for unknown reasons...other than to make me his bride. That was one thing I was going to make sure did not happen.

The car was finally stopping, and that was the first time in a while I looked away from the passenger window. We had been driving for only about 2 hours, but it had felt like an eternity. Desmond climbed out of the car and appeared on my side of the car within a blink of an eye, opening my door for me to step out. He held out his hand for me to take it, but I inched away from him in disgust.

"Don't touch me," I warned in a low growl, looking at his hand as though it were possessed. His teeth flash at my reaction. He really did enjoy tormenting me with mock. He was glad I was scared of him, which I was. From my perspective, he could crush me with his hands without trying.

"Don't think so," he replied in an amused tone, grabbing my wrist before I was able to react in any way, and pulled me out of the car and lifted me up, throwing me over his shoulder as though I were a dead carcass. I coughed in pain, my stomach slamming into his shoulder, knocking the wind out of me. He shut the door of his car, carrying me like a dead deer. I beat on his back, struggling for him to release me.

"Let go of me!" I demanded, kicking and punching him, but nothing loosened his grip on me. I looked down at the ground in pain, looking at the asphalt.

What was he going to do with me now?

He carelessly threw me on the ground, and I grunted in pain. It wasn't until then did I realize we were in a yard. I took a quick glance around the area, noticing the streetlights and houses. We were in a neighborhood, one that looked like something from Beverly Hills. I gazed back to Desmond and saw him crossing his arms over his chest while he stared down at me with a raised eyebrow. My face immediately turned into a dark glare. He was obviously amused by something.

"Are you just going to sit there on the grass, or are you going to come inside?" he asked, dropping his arms from his chest and putting his hands in his pockets, walking past me on the ground.

I grunted, crossing my arms over my chest this time. "I think I'll wait out here," I growled, refusing to budge.

He shrugged his shoulders and began to walk toward the house that lay behind us. “Alright, but I hope you don't mind fending for yourself against the creatures of the night." And then, almost on cue, many sounds began to come from different areas. The streetlights seemed to get darker, shadows taking over the area. Half the houses turned their lights out, making the area seem a lot scarier than one would first expect.

A shiver ran down my spine. I was sure I could hear different snarls come from some of the bushes. I almost tripped over myself while I stumbled to get to my feet, panic rushing through me. Desmond was waiting for me at the door, an all knowing smirk on his face. He knew I would choose for staying inside a warm house than out on the misty lawn where I was open to any of this world's creatures.

"I thought you would want to come inside," he said with a smirk, closing the door behind me as I walked into the house. I glanced around the house, staring in awe of how clean the house was. Not one thing was out of place. I slowly paced into the kitchen, my mouth ajar. My stomach grumbled loudly at the sight of the large refrigerator.

"There's food in there, if you want some," Desmond spoke from behind me, holding back a chuckle from seeing a bit of drool coming out of my mouth. I paced my steps to the refrigerator, not wanting to act like a ravenous being at the moment. I reached out and opened the fridge door, my eyes bulging at the sight of all the food. I had been expecting only blood in bottles, but it was mostly normal food. My hands were twitching, wanting to snap out and snatch all of the food. A bit of fruit was not my kind of every day meal.

"It's heaven..." I whispered, grabbing random pieces of food and carrying them over to the large kitchen counter. I ignored Desmond the whole time, hating the feeling of his gaze on me constantly, barely blinking once while I took lots of food out of the fridge. Finally, I grabbed all the food I knew would fill me for the moment, taking a seat in one of the tall chairs at the kitchen counter.

Image

I did my best not to tense when he walked over from leaning against the wall of the kitchen to take a seat next to me, watching me stuff my face with random pieces of food. I was not going to let his nice attitude fool me. He was, after all, the bad guy. He sensed my nervousness and lifted an eyebrow. I glanced to him from the corner of my eye, making sure that he wasn't going to attack me.

"You're angry," he commented, watching my eyes narrow at him as I continued to eat. I rolled my eyes while I swallowed the large bite of sandwich in my mouth, turning to face him a bit.

"You think?" I asked with my mouth still full of food. I didn't care if I didn't use my manners; it was Desmond, not my parents. His face turned into a frown when I continued to glare at him, eating my food with annoyance. He was such a jerk. I grabbed a napkin from the counter, wiping a bit of food from the side of my mouth. I was happy I was devouring all of his food.

My eyes narrowed at him when he sighed, shaking his head and rubbing his eyelids, looking suddenly stressed. Good. I stopped eating my food, my stomach suddenly hurting. I knew it; I had eaten too fast. I ignored the pain and pushed away the food, acting like I was just fine. I hated stomach aches.

I growled, "Now what?" I was trying to ignore the pain in my stomach. His eyes remained closed for a moment, looking perfect, just like the first time I met him. He looked a bit on the stressed side, but gorgeous none-the-less. I wanted to slap myself for thinking such things, but even the most handsome model could not pass his attractive looks. It just figured I was stuck with him.

He took a minute to reply, his eyes casted down. "I don't always enjoy being the bad guy. Even though it is amusing, it gets old after a while," he murmured, his eyes refusing to look to me. I lifted my eyebrow a bit, leaning away from him, not understanding his motives. Only hours ago he was telling me he was working for the ass who wanted me, now he was telling me he didn't like to be the bad guy all the time. What the hell was he getting at?

"Cut the crap. What are you trying to prove?" I was a bit surprised by my own words. For some reason, I didn't feel the evil I felt earlier illuminating off him. I was now feeling like I could insult him and be myself without risking my life. His aura was calm, unlike earlier. I tried not to lose my breath when his eyes looked up from the ground, looking straight at me, piercing right to my soul. His eyes weren't dark anymore, but a calm and serene color.

"Trying to prove? Nothing. I'm merely curious as to what you are thinking. The look on your face seems...irritated," he said with a pause. I grunted louder than usual at his comment. Did he really not get it?

"What do you expect? You've kidnapped me, treated me like dirt, and are working for Cain, Lucifer's son. How could I not look irritated right now? I just want to go home." I knew my words meant very little to him, but they were true. I wanted to go home and spend time with my uncle Jeff, the very reason why I had come from England in the first place.

To my surprise, he looked away, as though almost ashamed. My eyes narrowed to him, not sure if this was another one of his acts. So far, he had been good at tricking me into thinking he was a nice guy. I watched him with careful eyes when he stood from his seat, keeping his eyes to the floor.

"The sun is going to rise soon. I'm going to go get some rest," he mumbled in a low voice, almost so much that I couldn’t hear what he had said. "And don't leave the house." His eyes rose from the floor, giving me a look that told me he would know if I tried to escape this house. Why would I? I had no place to run. Plus, I had no idea where we were or what lived around this area.

I turned my head away from his gaze, grumbling a few insults under my breath. I turned my eyes back to see that he had disappeared. I swung around to hear footsteps, watching him climb the stairs lazily, almost dragging himself to take each step. He reached one of the rooms on the top floor and slammed the door behind him. I sighed, feeling my heartbeat pulse wildly. Why was I so nervous? The look in his eyes was so sad when I told him I just wanted to go home? What was his reason?

"Whatever,” I grumbled, grabbing a coke from the fridge and walking into the living room. I still had no clue whose house this was. For all I knew, it could be Cain's. Not likely, but it didn't seem like something Desmond would own. It was way too light, perfect, and Beverly Hills looking. I had to admit, if I ever wanted a house, it would resemble something like this one. When I walked into the living room, I wasn’t surprised to see a widescreen plasma T.V. I took a seat on the large black leather couch that sat in front of it, picking up the remote and pushing the ‘Power’ button.

"What the..." I began, a little shocked when the T.V. screen lit up with color, revealing to me what was being played. It was the news, but not from the human world. A girl with red eyes was speaking into the microphone, her black hair hanging over her left eye. I took a sip of my soda, but almost choked on it when I saw what was written in the corner of the T.V. program. Hell’s News was written in messy red letters.

"They have their own news channel?" I wondered aloud, listening to the girl talk on the news about random events in this strange world. I almost dropped my coke when she spoke the name of the man I wanted to escape.

"'I'm here with Cain, one of the most popular bachelors in this world, soon to be husband. Cain, who is this mystery woman you plan on marrying?'" I almost screamed when the camera moved to face toward Lucifer's son. His looks were the same, the same evil look in his eyes as the other night. I tried to not have a heart attack when he glanced into the camera, looking right at me. I was going to die from panic.

"'Well, I can't tell you yet. That would spoil the secret now, wouldn't it? But, I can tell you this much; she's going to amaze you," he replied in a joking tone. I felt like I was going to be sick. I had a feeling he was referring to me. The girl chuckled in one of those fake and jealous tones. She obviously didn't like the words that came out of his mouth, and neither did I.

"'I'm sure she will. And where is the wife-to-be now?'" I didn't like the questions she was asking. I shivered again when Cain smirked, that same evil smile I saw on Desmond earlier, only darker.

He paused for a moment, looking at the girl for a moment. "'She's with a friend, watching the news,'" he replied smoothly, but with hidden amusement. My jaw dropped open, not believing the words I was hearing. I felt my heart stop as he stared straight at me through the T.V., his blue eyes piercing mine.

"'Hi Honey. I hope you're having a pleasant time. I'll see you soon.'" The changer fell out of my hand. He kissed his finger and blew a kiss to the T.V.

He knew I was watching.

I snapped myself out of my dumbfounded look, stumbling to pick up the changer. My hands shook while I stumble to push the 'Power' button once more, turning off the T.V., making Cain disappear from the screen. My breathing was quick, as though I had been suffocating. How could this be? How could he possibly know I was watching him? It wasn't logical. Then again, he was the son of Lucifer, so maybe he did have that kind of power.

I tried to stand to my feet multiple times, but each time my knees buckled under me. I was in pure shock. The powers of this world were too extreme for me to begin to understand. My wide eyes stared at the television, afraid he was going to step out of it and take me. I swallowed the lump in my throat, climbing onto the couch, lying down and bringing my knees to my chest, staring at the T.V., afraid he was going to appear on it once more.

"It's just T.V., nothing more," I began to chant, trying to convince myself that I was just paranoid. I closed my eyes, wanting the thought to disappear. I relaxed a little, feeling safer staring at my closed eyelids. Darkness was helping right now. I sighed, letting my body loosen up, my exhaustion taking effect on my body, letting me fall to sleep.

*****

The feeling of something running across my cheek awoke me from my sleep. I sighed, not wanting to open my eyes, loving the soft feeling. It sent strange sensations through my body, telling me to move closer to the touch. I moaned a bit, trying to open my eyes. I slightly opened my eyes, waking myself from my nice nap. "Ah!" I screeched, opening my eyes to see light brown eyes staring at me less than an inch away from my face. I immediately jumped away from him, gasping in surprise. Desmond smirked at me.

"Don't scare me like that," I breathed out; holding a hand over my chest, making sure my heart was still beating. His teeth flashed at me in a kind smile. He was acting strange again. His eyes remained on me, scrutinizing my every move.

"Apologies—I couldn't help myself," he said, ending in a murmur.

My eyebrow lifted at him in skepticism. "You couldn't help yourself from touching me?" I growled, a sudden frown falling over my features.

He gave an innocent nod with one of his flashy smiles. "Yeah, something like that. Your skin is so warm and smooth; I couldn't help myself," he replied smoothly. I kept my hand over my heart, feeling it beat faster at his words. I was afraid that my face was turning red from embarrassment. Why on earth could he not hold in the impulse to touch me?

I swallowed hard, letting some nervousness slide down my throat. I tried to act relaxed and sat upright on the couch, leaning my back against the black leather. I attempted not to tense when he stood from his position on the floor to sit next to me on the couch. He grabbed the remote, acting as though he hadn't just said embarrassing words to me, and turned on the television. To my luck, the news wasn't on anymore.

Desmond coughed from beside me when the movie playing on the screen was Cruel Intentions, a movie about two lovers wanting to destroy a girl's life, but the boy ends up falling for the girl he had originally set out to destroy. His finger immediately moved to change the channel, his eyes glancing to me from his peripherals. I crossed my arms over my chest, pretending I hadn’t noticed the glance he had sent me, or his sudden tenseness. I slapped his arm when I saw a movie flicker on the screen, one that I loved.

"Wait! Go back!" I demanded, still hitting his shoulder in complaint. He groaned and pushed the back button to the channel. I smiled when I saw that the movie had just started. I noticed the raised eyebrow Desmond was giving me. "I haven't seen this movie in so long. I love it!" I said with enthusiasm.

He groaned a bit, putting a hand to his forehead, rubbing it slightly. "You've got to be kidding me. This is such a sappy movie," he complained. I ignored him, rolling my eyes while crossing my legs on the couch. "I can't believe I'm actually watching this movie," he grumbled under his breath, just enough so that I could hear him whine. The movie was one of my favorite romance movies. Before Sunset was a movie that gave you goose bumps after it finished. It may be a romance movie, but it wasn't too sappy.

As soon as the movie ended, I sighed, feeling the movie take effect on me, just like every other time. Desmond was slouching toward me on the couch, looking more bored than ever, but I could see in his eyes that he had enjoyed the movie. Why his attitude was so different from the day before, I didn’t know.

"It was bearable," he mumbled, lifting his eyes to meet mine. I didn't understand why he suddenly changed from the monster he was earlier, but I liked this side of him. I couldn’t help but smirk at his comment, knowing better that he liked the movie almost as much as I had. It was a sweet movie. He lifted his hand to change the channel, not wanting me to make him watch another romance movie.

"Grace..." he began, not taking his eyes away from the T.V. screen. I looked to him, signifying to him that he had my attention. He paused for a moment, sighing loudly, as though stressing over something all of a sudden. I heard him swallow loudly. "I've got some bad news that I think you should know about, even though Cain specifically asked me not to tell you." I suddenly became tense, not liking his words one bit. What bad news could there be? I remained silent, making sure not to miss one syllable. He sat up straight on the couch beside me, his eyes moving from the television to me.

"What bad news?" I pushed, impatient to find out this worse news. All of this was bad news to me. Everything about this world, this situation, was bad news. My eyes turned to the television when I heard the sound of the news once more, but instead of saying Hell's News in the corner, it had a "normal" news name. I stared in confusion while Desmond kept his eyes to the T.V., gesturing for me to watch. I watched a blonde woman sigh as she held the microphone in front of her.

"'It's a worst nightmare for any parents to lose a child. It's no different for an Uncle. Jeff Steven’s niece, Grace Evans, died earlier today for unknown reasons.'" My heart stopped. I was literally speechless, not believing the words coming from the woman's mouth. Jeff showed up on the screen, his eyes red from crying, and I felt my eyes grow hot from the sad look on his face. Oh god, what had happened? I watched as tears began to fall down my uncle’s face, and I felt mine begin to fall as well.

"'I don't know what happened. One minute she was walking, the next she was on the floor, lifeless.'" I wanted to run to the screen and yell out to my Uncle, hoping that he would hear me. My mind went blank at the sight of my crying parents. More tears flowed from my eyes, the sight of my parents the most wonderful thing, and yet, the saddest. I had never seen them look so upset. I put a hand over my mouth, trying to prevent myself from hyperventilating. I let the tears fall, hating the sound of my parents speaking in raspy voices.

My mother choked, "She was a good girl." I let out a cry at the sad sight of my mother. She couldn't get out more than that and turned to my father, crying into his shoulder as he embraced her. I wanted to run over to the screen when it went back to the blonde woman, wanting to see my parents again.

"'Officials are still trying to figure out the tragedy of this normal teenage girl. Our condolences go out to her family. This is Laura Davidson, reporting from Astoria, Oregon.'" At that point, Desmond turned off the television, putting the remote on the coffee table in front of us. I sat there, stunned. I let the tears fall down my face, not caring if I looked weak to Desmond. He did nothing but watch me cry for five minutes, not knowing what to do. I covered my hands over my face and sobbed.

"H-how did this happen?" I choked out, gasping through tears and cries.

"The clone we used to take your place failed. It can only live in an alien world for a certain period of time."

I choked out another cry, trying to gather my words. "But now my parents think I'm dead...when I'm not." My voice didn’t stay strong through my sentence and ended in a whisper.

He sighed loudly, closing his eyes for a moment. "That was the plan," he replied, almost regretfully.
♠ ♠ ♠
No news is good news, I always say.
Keep up the comments, and I'll keep up the updating! :P