I Love You, I'll Kill You

A Dangerous Situation

Image

"What? You mean I'm stuck with you?" I said loudly again to Desmond, who was taking no interest in me while he laid himself stretched across his large bed lazily. I was standing on the other side of the room, keeping my distance from him. If he really was a vampire, could I really have trust in him? I mean, if he was what he said he was, than he sucked blood, the stuff that was pumping through my body very quickly. He groaned, rolling over on his side to face me while he plunked his elbow up and rested his head on his hand. He stared at me, seemingly unfazed by my outbursts.

Was it normal for dinner to hang around in his room? I shivered at the thought.

"Yeah, you're stuck here until I figure out how to get you back to your world. It's not as easy as you may think. So, I would consider taking a breath and seat before you pass out and fall onto the ground. You've barely taken ten normal breaths in the past four minutes." he said, watching me lean against the wall, staying as far from him as I could.

"And I'm not going to eat you. Quit looking at me like I'm the bad guy. I saved your life, feel grateful that I got to you before Cain's guys could do any more to you." I, once again, tensed at his words. I was used to him being the cold vampire by now. I could tell he was annoyed. He groaned again, rolling back over onto his back and covered his hands over his eyes and sighed. I twitched when he swiftly sat up, catching me by surprise and scaring me, thinking he was going to attack me. He shook his head and began to walk across his large room and to the door.

"Don't go anywhere," he warned, opening the door. My eyes widened. He was going to leave me here…alone?

"Where are you going?" I blurted out before he walked through his door.

"To get something to eat," he replied in a low voice before closing the door behind him. I ran over to the door just when I heard a click. My heart was pounding in my head while I reach for the door handle. I growled when it didn’t move, confirming that it was locked. I could hear him talking to someone on the other side of the door. I pressed my ear against the cold wooden door, trying to listen to the conversation.

"Don't let the girl out of this room. And don't even think about doing anything with her," Desmond warned in a dark voice.

The other person chuckled. "Whatever gave you the idea I wanted her?" the voice questioned with hidden amusement. It was Desmond's brother, Lucas. I could feel Desmond's glare from the opposite side of the door.

"Don't play dumb. I saw you eyeing her earlier. Heed my warning, little brother." I figured that Lucas didn't like being called that by the following growl he made.

"And just where are you going?" he demanded in a darker tone than before. Yup, that proved that he didn't like the title of “little brother”. Desmond's footsteps stopped after a second.

"I'm going to go get something to drink," It sounded almost like he was upset about telling his brother that.

Lucas laughed. "What's the matter? Is the girl already driving you up a wall? Or is it that you're afraid that you can't control yourself?" Lucas mocked. I heard Desmond growl, followed by a loud bang. I held myself back from wanting to turn the doorknob again to force the door open. What had happened? I pressed my ear closer to the door and dearly regretted it. I loud bang came from the other side of the door, sending vibrations through my ear.

"Ow! Damn it!" I almost yelled, grabbing my ear, sure I had broken an eardrum. Someone had hit the other side of the door, sending loud vibrations through the door and into my ear.

"Maybe that will teach you not to eavesdrop on people's conversation." Desmond's voice held amusement. I pulled my hand away from my ear. It now had a constant ringing sound. I cursed Desmond, barely able to hear him walk down the hall.

How did he know I was listening?

As soon as Desmond's footsteps had faded, I heard the door unlock. By this time, I had moved away from the door and to the other side of the room, afraid of whom it was. Lucas stepped into the room, a crooked smile on his face while he closed the door behind him. My heart almost dropped when he reached for the lock and clicked it over.

"W-what are you doing?" I stuttered, beginning to back away from him. His smirk turned evil when he pulled away from the door and began to walk toward me.

"Stay away from me!" I yelled, trying to be brave, when really I was scared for my life. Why did Desmond have to leave? He knew what was going to happen, didn't he? The thought alone made me want to cry.

"Come on. It won't hurt, trust me. It will just be like a little prick, and then it's over. You will barely feel anything." he said with a sadistic smile. I backed away from him until I felt there was no more room for me to back away, coming in contact with the wall. Within a blink of an eye, Lucas was in front of me, looming down at me, staring at me with predatory eyes.

I found some courage in me and tried to slap him to get away, but his reflexes were so fast that he caught my wrist as though I had moved in slow motion. I lost my breath, feeling his hand reach out to touch my neck. I shivered, his hand freezing cold, just like Desmond's and everyone else in his family.

He chuckled at my reaction. "Shivers of pleasure?" he mocked, moving my hair to the side to reveal my bare neck. I gasped when I felt his head bend down to my neck, sharp pointed fangs sliding across my milky skin. I did the last thing I could think of doing at that second.

"DESMOND!" I shouted as loud as I could with every bit of voice I could conjure up. The next few seconds were all a blur. Lucas's fangs began to sink in, but didn't get very far before he was suddenly thrown off me and across the room and against the wall, denting it as he came in contact with it. Desmond was standing protectively in front of me, his fangs showing as he growled. It was the exact same look I had seen earlier.

"Get out...NOW!" he snapped at Lucas, who was picking himself off the ground. As Lucas stood to his feet, he glared at Desmond, as though a defeated wolf who had just lost his prey to a stronger foe. I shivered at the thought, again. He stomped out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him. His footsteps are heard walking down the hall, and eventually fade. Desmond loosened up from in front of me and sighed loudly while shaking his head.

"You're going to be more of a problem than I thought," he grumbled, slouching and walking back over to his bed and plopped down on it as though he were a rag doll. I was a bit lost at this point. Well, the ravenous blood urges proved the vampire part of this family. I carefully walked over to the bed to stand next to it, staring over Desmond's closed eyes and pleasant face. Well, it wasn't quite pleasant; more annoyed than anything.

I chewed on my nails, staring over him, making the only noise in the room. He opened one eye, looking at me from beside his bed. He sighed, rolling over and motioned for me to lie beside him. I gave him a shy and slightly afraid look. I didn’t know what he wanted, or if he was serious about me lying next to him. Only a couple minutes ago he had been complaining about how he needed to get something to eat.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you," he assured me as he rolled over to make more room for me on his big bed.

"I thought you said you needed to get something to eat." I wondered aloud, raising my eyebrow at him. He sighed again and he murmured a few things under his breath.

"I already did. Now get in the bed," he demanded in a stern voice. I jolted from his sudden command and slowly began to sit on the bed, not wanting to make any wrong moves and push him over the edge. I gasped loudly when one of his hands surrounded my wrist and forced me onto the bed and onto my back in a quick flash. I had lost my breath…again.

"Was that really necessary?" I asked. My back had gone all rigid from landing on the bed wrong. I was sure I had pulled something from being so tense all night.

"Yeah, you were taking too long." he replied frankly with his back turned toward me. I sighed and began to close my eyes, feeling comfortable on the soft bed and forgetting Desmond was lying next to me. That was enough to make me fall into a well needed sleep.

*****

My dreams were terrifying. Everywhere I turned, I was faced with red eyes. I couldn't escape from them. They were the darkest and evilest eyes I had ever seen. They were all eyeing me with hunger, beckoning for me to follow them. Coldness surrounded me, the coldest feeling you could possibly feel. It was as though I had been dropped in an icy water and couldn't escape; couldn't breathe.

"Grace!" I heard a loud voice echo through the darkness as the red eyes faded away. My eyes shot open and revealed a worried looking Desmond. I sat up, pushing Desmond off me while I gasped for air. My face was wet with sweat.

"Are you okay? What did you see?" Desmond demanded in a serious voice, grabbing my shoulders and forcing me to stare at him. I was still shaken up, shivering from the sudden cold hands of his touching my burning wet skin.

"Yeah," I breathed out, trying to slow myself down. Desmond turned my face to look at him. He looked deeply into my eyes with a sudden worry.

"Tell me what you saw," he said in a less demanding tone, now taking into consideration how scared I was right now. I breathed in a few more times before I found my voice.

"There were red eyes everywhere. I couldn't see anything but red eyes, and they were telling me to follow them, only they weren’t speaking. It’s like I felt I had to follow them." I had to take deep breaths a couple of times, still having trouble breathing. Desmond's eyes widened when he listened to my reply, the first time of real worry I had seen in his eyes.

"What?" he whispered. I looked to him and stared at him in horror. His face showed true worry. That couldn't be a good thing. I jolted when his head suddenly shot to his window with a growl. I quickly followed his gaze and gasped. There in the window were two beady red eyes, staring straight at me. I almost screamed, but Desmond covered my mouth with his hands to shut me up.

"Shit. We need to get out of here," he said, exasperated, grabbing my hand and quickly pulling me off the bed. He dragged me out the door and down the many steps of the mansion until we got to the first floor where his family was sitting around the T.V. They all stood, seeing Desmond running with me dragging behind him toward the front door.

"What is it?" Darien demanded. The hurried look in Desmond's pace was proof that something wasn’t right. All of his family suddenly looked just as panicked as him.

"It's Cain's guys," he quickly replied. He grabbed the car keys from his pocket and continued to drag me by my wrist out the front door. We jumped the stairs of the front porch and ran to his black Dodge Viper.

"Get in the car now!" he shouted hastily while he ran to the other side of the car. Before I could even get in the car, he had already gotten in and started the engine and putting the car in reverse. I fell back into the seat and moved my foot out of the way just as the door shut. Before I knew it, we were backing quickly out of the gravel driveway. Desmond didn’t even care to look behind him while he drove the car backwards at a fast speed.

I closed my eyes tight, afraid to look out my window as we drove backwards for minutes, the bumpy road making me feel nauseous. It felt like forever before I felt the car stop when we reach another dirt road. Desmond gracefully put the car in ‘drive' and slammed his foot on the gas, making the wheels screech, spinning for at least a few seconds before the car took off with amazing speed.

I closed my eyes tighter, the bumpy road continuing. The moon didn't help at all either. It was reflecting off the trees, making them more visible than I would like while we zipped past them. I gasped when the car hit a hard bump, making it jolt wildly. I was never good with bumpy roller coasters.

After ten minutes, which felt even like an eternity, I finally felt the smooth feeling of concrete. We had reached another road. I sighed loudly and almost I had to bite my tongue from keeping myself from getting sick. I was lucky I didn't get sick in the very nice car. I finally looked up from the floor and looked to the speedometer of the car. My eyes widen when the speedometer read over 126 MPH. I looked to Desmond with a frightful look in my eyes, not sure what to think of this whole situation.

"What is going on?" I demanded in a half scared voice. He looked to me from the side, as he usually did, not taking his face away from the road in front of him. He sighed, shaking his head, and growling while he gritted his teeth.

"Damn it, why did he have to choose you? Why did you have to run into him?" he asked more to himself than me. My heart was pounding in my head again.

"Who? What are you talking about?" I asked exasperated.

His grip on the wheel tightened, opening his eyes to glare ahead of him. "You remember how I told you about the Lord of the Underworld taking an interest in you?" he asked slowly, making sure that I heard his every word very clearly.

I slowly nodded my head, afraid about where this was leading. "Yes. What about it?" I asked in a shaky voice. The adrenaline was messing with my voice again.

He growled again, slamming his fist on the steering wheel so hard that I was worried he was going to break it off.

"Damn, why did he have to choose you? You just had to run into him," he growled with disappointment. I didn't know who he was talking about.

"Who? Why do you keeping saying that over again?" I asked.

He glared daggers at the road ahead of him as he spoke the name, "Cain.” His hands tightened around the steering wheel again. “You had to run into Cain." He said the name with distaste. I twitched uncomfortably when he spoke the name. "You see, Cain isn't like anyone else, kind of like Lucifer." I jerked again. For some reason, when he spoke of those two, it gave me the shivers.

"What do you mean he's not like anyone else? What makes him so special?" I asked spitefully, disliking Cain more and more. Sure, he seemed like a nice guy when I first met him, but as I heard his name over the last couple of days, I had grown to detest the guy. Desmond looked away from the road and sent me a looks that said “do you really want to know?” I remained silent, staring into his eyes, afraid to know the truth.

"What makes him so special?" he repeated my question. He paused for a moment while he stared ahead of him, intensifying the moment for me.

"He's the son of the Devil. He's Lucifer's son." He made sure that I knew what he was talking about, that’s for sure. He could have gone without saying the same thing twice. I was sure my mouth was ajar in shock. I had thought that I couldn’t be surprised any more this night but, oh, I had been wrong, very wrong. I coughed a little bit, forgetting how to breathe for a second, trying to make sure I had heard his words correctly. I knew he had, but my mind didn’t want to take it in, to admit it.

"You're kidding me? Please tell me you're joking." I was practically begging, wishing that he had been trying to worry me even more. I knew he wasn't. Desmond wasn't the clowning around type.

He shook his head. "Why do you think I warned you to stay away from him? You didn't think it was because I was jealous, did you?" My eyes dropped to the floor. If he saw what answer was in my eyes, he would know without a second glance. He noticed my silence and smirked at me. I saw it, and I cringed on the inside. He had seen right through me. I almost felt a blush come to my cheeks. Yeah, I had assumed it was because he was jealous and was being protective. Well, I was half way correct.

"You really thought I was jealous?" he mocked from beside me, taking short glances from me and back to the road. My face scrunched up into a glare. I crossed my arms over my chest in annoyance. I hated being humiliated, especially by cute guys. Cute was an understatement when it came to Desmond. He chuckled quietly beside me, obviously amused by my annoyed and embarrassed look.

"It's not funny!" I shouted loudly, glowering not at him, but at the window. I knew I wouldn’t be able to stare into his eyes and remain angry, not for long.

He laughed louder at my demanding tone and angry face. "Grace, I think I am beginning to understand why they want you."

"And why is that?" I growled, just as annoyed as before. Desmond slowed himself down. I gasped; caught by surprise when he grabbed my chin and forced me to stare at him. My face turned willingly on its own. My eyes landed on him, and I blushed at the sight of his beautiful smirk, his fangs shining in the moonlight.

"You're unlike any other human,” he replies in a soft voice.

I scoffed considerably loud, tearing my chin from his grip."If you think so, you should really study your humans. I am nothing but a normal human girl," I replied, just as bluntly as he had while I looked away from him and out the window. I was getting tired of being embarrassed around Desmond. I was really going to have to work on my facial expressions if I was going to try to keep my emotions to myself.

He replied with a small smile. "I wouldn't be so sure of yourself.”