I Love You, I'll Kill You

Running & Chasing

Image

I was sure that my face was red; it felt hot. It was one of two things; one: I was still shaken up from all that had happened tonight, or two: I was embarrassed from Desmond's last comment. He had spoken as though I were an object, a thing to own. What kind of world was this?! One where they owned people? It was getting weirder and weirder as the night went on.

"Relax. You look like you're about to be eaten or something," Desmond said, taking notice of my tense body and red face. I, once again, cringed from his words. Was that supposed to imply something? Was he planning on eating me? Desmond, again, noticed me jolt from his words and shook his head, rolling his eyes a bit.

"Okay, I didn't mean it like that," he tried to correct himself. It was too late to try to make me feel less nervous. I felt like a worm on a big hook, unable to break free of this trap I could feel wind itself around me like a dark cloud. What was to happen to me? And why me?

"Why me?" I repeated the question aloud on accident, getting lost in my own thoughts. Desmond looked to me while he drove his sports car, an eyebrow rising to me and my strange and lost look. His eyes moved back to the road, a short silence falling between us. I usually hated silences, but I didn't care right now. In fact, I was happy there was a bit of silence. After what had happened tonight, I didn't mind the quietness of the air. For some reason, it didn't feel uncomfortable around Desmond like it would other people. My eyes closed, finally trying to relax for the first time in the night, other than the short nap I had had earlier.

"Are you okay?" Desmond asked from beside me.

I opened my eyes a bit to stare out the passenger window, a plain look falling across my features. "I'm not sure anymore. How am I supposed to believe I'm not crazy when I'm seeing vampires and red eyes?"

He chuckled. He quietly nodded his head. "Good point," he agreed with amusement. "But if you were crazy, would you really be admitting it?" I wasn't sure how to reply to his question. I had never met a lot of crazy people, other than my friends, but that was a different kind of crazy.

I shrugged my shoulders a bit. "I don't really know what to believe or think anymore. You're a vampire, and you say there are other creatures out there," I replied the best I could without really sounding too upset.

"Yes, many other creatures," he said with a sudden seriousness in his voice.

I couldn’t help but ask the obvious question, already dying to know the answer. "What are the other creatures?" I tried not to sound too interested, but it was hard to hide it. His lips press into a hard line while he remained silent for a few moments, his eyes scanning across the road for anything that might come in its path at any random instant.

"Too many to identify, but I'll just name off the ones you are familiar with. Or you might even be able to," he said, sending me a quick glance.

I smirked a little, loving the idea of naming off some of my personal favorite creatures that I had studied or read about. "Well, of course, vampires. Werewolves, demons, witches, dark angels, nymphs, faeries, zombies-"

"Yeah, I think you've got the point. In other words, you're in a dangerous world where not a lot of humans survive, and generally if they do, they frequently end up a snack." I choked at his words, gasping for air as though I had just been suffocated. I coughed a few times, not sure if it was my saliva or lack of saliva from coughing. Why did he have to say something like that? I had just relaxed a bit, and now I felt even tenser than before!

"Hey, I said there were not a lot of humans. That doesn't mean there aren't any. Actually, now that I think about it, there are quite a few. Heck, I know of few vampires who fell in love with some. You want to know the truth, don't you? Well, you got it." He was acting as though I was supposed to take this all lightly. He was trying to help me out? How was telling me I was most likely going to be eaten helping me? It just made me feel even more paranoid now.

I growled, "Thanks for being so blunt."I crossed my arms over my chest, watching as we drove on through the night. "Where are we going?" I finally asked the question that had been eating at the back of my mind.

"Somewhere they won't find us," he replied. It was my turn to roll my eyes.

"That's what you said when we went to your house." Why did I get the feeling he was lying about all of this? His lips pressed into a hard line again, keeping his eyes ahead of him.

"True, but I also said 'for a while' when we were at my house. They'll have a much harder time tracking us down at this place." I sighed. I knew I had no choice but to trust him.

"What about your family?" I asked. I had been thinking of mine for a while, though I was trying as little of that as possible. If I thought of my parents, I would feel upset. My mother had practically begged me not to leave. I wished I had listened to her. Would I ever see them again? It was a question I hated to ask myself, but worried more than anything of the answer. They were off in a different world, far away from where I could be.

Desmond heard the concern in my voice and his eyes get warmer, seeing the look of worriment on my face. He knew what I was thinking. "They'll be fine. They can take care of themselves. Besides, they are not the ones they're after. Like my brother said, you seem to be getting popular in this world." He ended with a small smirk, making shivers run down my spine. He just had to be so cute and good looking. And he knew he had that effect on me, even though I had only known him for a day. He was probably used to seducing humans. Heck, he had to if he was a vampire who drank human blood, though most of them were probably willing. A vampire has to be very good at seducing humans if they want to get what they want. I had read in some stories that just by looking in their eyes they could put one into a reverie, giving them the perfect chance to get what they want without the human feeling pain. It was only fair, I thought.

"Why do they want me anyways?" I asked with a shaky voice, feeling nervous from his crooked smile. He could look so cute and innocent one minute, and then the next he can look evil and malicious. Both were very appealing when it came to Desmond. Once again, he paused for a moment, pondering his thoughts. It was times like these I wasn't sure I could trust Desmond. He was unpredictable, powerful, and a vampire. His looks couldn’t entirely convince me he was a good guy with good intensions. What part did he play in this story? I looked to him when I heard him swallow, obviously not looking like he wanted to tell me.

"Truthfully," he began with a sigh, "I don't know. You have something they want, that's all I can tell at this point. If I could tell you more, I would." I could tell he was lying. The look on his face and his eyes proved to me that he was lying and hating to. I sighed sadly, turning back to the passenger window, trying to ignore his presence as we drove on through the night. Finally, sleeps found me for the third time in this long night. When was the sun going to rise? It had felt like forever since we had been in this nightmare. Maybe this time when I fell asleep I would wake from the nightmare and be back on the Grey Hound Bus. I could only hope.

**********

I was slammed awake, my head hitting against the window I was leaning against, my eyes snapping open while I grabbed my head in pain. I groaned, opening my eyes, looking to see that Desmond's teeth were gritting as he was zigzagging across the road. We were going too fast for me to see anything.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I shouted, my head now pounding in immense pain. I was sure I had a minor concussion. He snarled beside me when he suddenly jolts the car, slamming on his breaks, and then pushing on the gas pedal.

"They caught up to us quicker than I thought they would,” he growled, turning on the steering wheel hard right, missing something that was standing right in the middle of the road. I covered my mouth to keep myself from screaming when I saw red eyes from many areas in front of us, all spread out amongst the trees and shrubberies. Desmond slammed his foot on the gas, pushing the car's speed past 100 MPH again. I felt sorry for his car, even if it was made for speed. I started to hyperventilate when I looked in the passenger side mirror, only to see many red eyes following us in hot pursuit. I bit my tongue, trying my hardest not to scream.

"Shit," Desmond grumbled from beside me. I jolted my head to him, my eyes widening in panic. When Desmond cursed, it was a bad sign. My seatbelt locked, threatening to choke me, when he abruptly turns the car, just missing the red eyes that had jumped in front of the car.

He quickly mumbled, "Hold on.” He swerved the car again, going off the paved road and onto another dirt road, only this one wasn't as bumpy. I closed my eyes, holding back the impulse of looking in the mirror to see if the red eyes were following us. I grabbed a hold of the door handle, like it would save me from all that could go wrong. I felt like crying from panic, but knew that I had to keep myself together. I had made it this far; I couldn’t breakdown just yet. I felt Desmond take a quick glance to me, making sure I wasn't having a heart attack or anything. I was close to having one.

He spoke. "I hope this works." I opened my eyes a fragment, to stare ahead in the same direction he was, a determined and fierce look on his face. I stared ahead, finally noticing some strange sort of barrier right ahead of us. It looked as if a giant piece of light purple visqueen had been placed across the road, only it reached the top of the trees and looked like it went on forever. I closed my eyes, grabbing onto the door even tighter, which I hadn’t thought was possible. I screamed, covering my face with my arms when we finally looked like we were going to run into a wall. I knew that between the two people in the car, I was more likely to die if we hit a wall. The next thing I knew, the car was screeching to a stop. I brought my arms down a tiny bit and peeked my eyes open a bit, afraid that I was dead from crashing or ramming into the wall-like barrier. To my surprise, we were now parked in front of a nice looking summer house. I blinked a few times, trying to register what had just happened.

"W-what? How did we get here?" I was completely lost. How did we get from driving 100 MPH through a forest to parking in front of a summer house on the water? I felt like I had just been through a moment of Back to the Future. It was as though the car had gone so fast that we ended up in a different dimension.

I looked over to see Desmond staring down, a plain look crossing his features, looking lost in thought. He probably didn't even hear my question. I finally exhaled, letting the air that I had been holding since the chase had ended, feeling a little light headed while we both sat in silence.

"Say something," I finally begged, now hating the silence. It scared me for some reason. The fact that I thought that we were truly going to die made me want to be comforted by his words. Desmond glanced to me, sending me a passive look before returning to looking down. He unlocked the door and opened it before he climbed out, shutting the door behind him. He stuffed his hands in his pockets as he began to make his way toward the house. I, on the other hand, felt like a Popsicle. I felt as though I were frozen in place, still trying to recover from what had just happened.

I never took my eyes off his back while he walked up the steps and onto the deck. He grabbed something from his pocket, taking it out of its package and sticking it in his mouth, followed by lighting the end and taking a large inhale. I hated smokers. I watched him from inside the car, his hair blowing in the wind while he continued to inhale and let smoke escape his mouth.

I finally found my bindings after moments of watching him and unbuckle my seatbelt, opening the door slowly. My legs were shaking when they touched the dirt ground. I really wasn't dreaming, which was too bad. Desmond didn’t even care to take a single glance to me while he smoked his cigarette, looking off into the distance with a calm exterior. I followed his line of walking up the steps until I reached the deck, cautiously walking to him.

He said, "It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." I slowly inched my way toward him. I took in a deep breath while I made my way to him, my feet finding more courage to step toward him. I walked next to him and leaned on the same banner he was. I sighed and I looked over his plain face while he held the white stick in between his fingers.

"You shouldn't do that, you know?" He finally looked at me, lifting an eyebrow at me while I glared at him.

"Why? I'm already dead," he replied plainly, taking another drag.

I scoffed at him quietly. "You may be, but I'm not. Ever thought of secondhand smoking?" I questioned. His lips twitched a bit, repressing a smile. I did the same when he took the cigarette and put it out.

"I bet you're a little confused at this point," he admitted, staring down at the broken cigarette.

I chuckled a bit, fake humility perfect in my laugh. "A little? Try completely lost," I corrected. I shivered when he chuckles. Damn it, this was getting ridiculous. Everything he did was angelic, or whatever it was that described perfect.

"I suspected as much. I was hoping you would have slept through that little chase, but I guess you're a light sleeper." I didn't comment. He was beating around the bush, and I was waiting for answers. "I saw the look on you face as we entered the portal. You looked as though you were going to die," he joked, sending me a smirk. I didn’t return it, but instead looked down to my fingers, trying to avoid his gaze.

"I did. I was sure it was a wall you were going to ram into. I'm sorry for freaking out, but we don't have portals in the human world," I explained to him. He probably already knew that, but I thought it wise to remind him anyways. I laughed quietly when the thought of the Back to the Future entered my thoughts again.

He smirked with me. “What are you smiling about?”

“I was just thinking about how much the portal had reminded me of Back to the Future. Going so fast that we end up in a different dimension thing, you know?”

He shook his head then, but he couldn’t hold back the smirk. "Come on. I bet you're pretty tired. You look like you could get some sleep," he said, reaching for my wrist. I turned red when his hands felt warm and soft when he led me into the summer house.

"Whose house is this?" I inquired as he opened the glass door and led me into the dark house.

"Mine," he replied as though it was obvious. My jaw dropped a little. He had two nice houses? If I were lucky, I would maybe get to visit one of my aunt's or uncle's houses that looked maybe half the size and half as nice.

"How many houses do you have, exactly?" I asked with my eyes wide. Everything in the house was nice. Of course, there was the large plasma T.V. hanging on the wall in the big living room. Two large couches sat in front of it, speakers placed in at least twelve different places. Half of them we are least four feet tall. He chuckled, ignoring my question and leading me past the kitchen, which was big and pearly white, just like the rest of the house.

"When you've been living for so long, you tend to gather quite a bit of money." That was the other thing that made me curious; how old was he? "I'll tell you how old I am after you've had some rest," he said, almost like he had read my mind. I stared down at our connected hands and blush a bit. It was strange; his hands weren't cold anymore, unlike the first time he had touched me.

I followed him up the stairs and to the second floor, trying to take a glance into some of the rooms as we passed them, but he was pulling me past them too quickly for me to tell what the rooms looked like. I almost ran into him when he makes an abrupt stop at one of the doors and opens it.

"This is my room, but you can stay in here," he said with clandestine amusement, as though hiding an inside joke.

I raised my eyebrow to him in perplexity. "And why does it matter that I stay in your room instead of any of the other hundred rooms we passed?" I was exaggerating. There weren't as many rooms as there were at his family house, but it was still a point to make cross. He gave me a twisted look, finally letting go of my wrist and sat down on his bed, an appeased smirk crossing his lips.

"I want to keep an eye on you. Which means you'll be sleeping with me tonight." He ended by showing his fangs with his smile. I tensed from his words, glancing to the bed. Sure, it was a king size bed, but for some reason, the wicked smirk on his face and the thought of sleeping in the same bed made it look even smaller.

"Excuse me?" I asked, trying to keep up with his words. He patted the spot next to him, his smirk never leaving his face.

I swallowed hard, taking baby steps to reach the bed. I glanced to the other side of the room to see another giant couch. "You know, I can just sleep on the couch." Sure, I was trying to think up of an excuse. For some reason, the tone of his voice, the look on his face, and the thought of being close to him suddenly made me nervous. Earlier he sounded like he didn't give a damn whether or not I slept on the same bed. Now he sounded like he had something up his sleeve. He rolled his eyes while he watched me walk very slowly towards him.

"I'm not going to force you to do anything. Besides, you're hardly my type." I frowned at his comment. That one hurt. My ego fell right out the window and splattered. Why did I even care? He was just a really hot vampire, nothing more. I slumped onto the bed, sitting and falling onto my back as far away from Desmond as possible. I rolled over on my side and turned my backs toward him, suddenly feeling pissed. And from the way he was smiling, he knew it.

"Sleep—I’ll go and get you something to eat." At that, he stood up off the bed and walked out the door, leaving it open incase anything happened. I groaned. I was a little more than tired. I let sleep take over me, hoping to get more sleep than I had in the past couple of hours of trying to. I knew by this time it was pointless to think that I would awake from a dream, this nightmare.