I Love You, I'll Kill You

Betrayal

Image

The sound of the door opening and closing awoke me from my short sleep. I sat up; my eyes clouded from the salt in my eyes as I grabbed the sheets to the bed and brought them closer to me, glancing around the room. I looked to the chair and noticed that Desmond was no longer sitting in it. I sighed loudly. I suddenly felt very vulnerable. When he was around I found a sense of security.

I quietly slid off the bed and felt my feet touch the carpeted floor. I lurked like a mouse over to the door, hearing the sound of voices on the other side of the door. I listened carefully, pressing my ear against the door, still holding the sheets to my body. I felt cold, like something ominous was hanging over me.

"What is taking you so long?" A male voice I had never heard before scolded Desmond. I heard a silent grunt emit from Desmond's throat. He obviously didn't like being scolded in such a way.

"Relax. I've got everything under control," he retorted almost immediately. I tried not to gasp and make a sound when I heard a couple of growls come from the other side of the door. They were standing right on the other side of the door.

"You better hope you do. If anything happens to the girl, it's a straight way ticket to Hell for you. You know Lucifer hates it when his son doesn't get his way." The other male voice was darker, but just like the rest of them, attractive. I heard a loud sigh, and knew that it is Desmond who had emitted it. I pressed my finger tips to the door, trying to hear more of what was going on.

"Yes, I know. This is girl is more troublesome than I first thought." Desmond ended with a growl. I could feel the other male smirk from the other side of the door. I tensed when he chuckled darkly.

"Just as I thought; this girl is really getting to you. Desmond, I'll tell you this now as a warning; do not get in the way of Cain's wanted prize. You and I both know there is something very special about the girl. Do your job and find out what her power is before you take her to Cain." I jumped away from the door, covering a hand over my mouth to keep me from screaming. I shook my head, not believing the words I had just heard. Was Desmond really on Cain's side? Was he working for Lucifer all this time? It was at this point that the door was jolted open.

I gasped at the sight of the dark glare from the cute young man as he held the door open. He had a different cuteness to him than the rest of the boys I had met in this world. No, he was not drop-dead gorgeous like Desmond and his family. He was cute, but nothing more. He dressed in a tight black shirt, his hair brown, and his skin just as pale as Desmond’s. His dark brown eyes held such anger and power that I took a step back from him. His glare was almost as dark as Desmond’s when he got mad, but he didn’t have that gorgeous and deadly effect Desmond held.

"How long have you been listening?" he growled, taking a step toward me. I stared in horror and took a step back on reflex, terrified from the look in his eyes. I covered my hand over my mouth again to keep in a scream when his eyes flashed from brown to crimson. Dear god, his eyes were red and shinning.

"I-I-" I couldn't speak. Fear was rushing through me, and I could do nothing but stare in terror. Desmond appeared in front of me, blocking my sight from the frightening and angry vampire, and I felt relief beyond words. I knew the young man was a vampire from the similar traits he and Desmond had. He growled at Desmond's defensive gesture, revealing his fangs in a snarl. I gasped and grabbed the back of Desmond's shirt in fright.

"Leave her alone, Bryce. Go back to Cain and leave the rest to me. Do not interfere with my work." Desmond's voice was low, angered, and yet, I could still sense his dismay. Bryce growled. He shut the door behind him, locking us in the room with him. He had shut the door before Dawn and Ivan had seen him. I could hear them talking out in the hall, asking from the other side of the door if everything was all right. I wanted to scream No! Everything is not all right! Bryce looked around Desmond and to my hiding form that was clutching to the back of his black dress jacket. He smirked, revealing his bright fangs, and winked at me before disappearing into thin air.

The door smashed open. Dawn and Ivan stood in the doorway with cautious eyes, glancing around the room for the attacker.

Dawn asked, "What just happened?" I released my hold on Desmond and now back away from him, pulling the sheet closer around me. I was not scared of Bryce anymore, but the creature that stood in front of me. He turned around to stare at me. I shook my head slightly with frightful eyes, tears beginning to form in my eyes.

"You monster..." I whispered in disgust as I began to back away from him. His eyes seemed unchanging, as though not caring of my insult.

He turned with his hands in his pockets. “Dawn, Ivan, would you please leave us,” he said with his back to them. They glanced to one another with lost expressions, but left and closed the door behind them. I wanted to yell for them to come back, but I heard their footsteps down the hall and fade. Desmond took a step toward me, and I followed it by taking one back.

"Stay away from me!" I practically screamed, feeling more hurt than I had in almost 17 years. I was starting to feel something in my chest. It felt like my heart was breaking in half as he stared at me as though I were a low-life. There was nothing kind in his eyes. How had he changed so quickly? Where was the kind Desmond who had saved me many times these past few days?

"You lied to me...you lied. Why?" I screeched, tears slowly beginning to pour from my hurt eyes. Desmond's eyes finally showed some kind of emotion, but not the kind I was hoping for. He rolled his eyes.

"You really think I would have saved a little girl like yourself for no reason at all? Sorry Grace, but we vampires have no time for sympathizing humans. Especially vampires like me." His voice was dark and harsh; it made more tears stream down my face.

"Why? Have you been working for Cain this whole time? And why did you go through all that trouble to keep me safe?" My voice had now lowered to a whisper. I wanted to escape this reality. I wanted the bad dream to end now.

Desmond grunted loudly at my questions, putting me down for asking such lame questions. "Simple—it’s part of the job. Dear Cain wants me to find out why his father senses something special about you. It may be a power, a certain gift, we don't know, but we are going to find out." His voice sounded so far away, unlike the kindness he had shown me in the past couple of days. It amazed me how someone so kind could turn on you, as though you were nothing to them from the beginning.

"Then why were you so worried when all of those creatures were after us?" I was hoping to catch him in a corner, something that would tell me he did feel some kind of care for me. A wicked smile, one even eviler than Cain's, slipped onto his beautiful face, revealing his fangs. I was now resting my back against the wall, just to make sure I didn't fall down from going into shock. I was sure I was going to break down at any moment. He knew how to break people very well.

"Those creatures were minions who were working for me. It was all part of the plan, my dear. I thought that fear would trigger something in you, but I guess that was the wrong approach, since you are still just as weak and useless as before." This was not happening. It couldn't be happening. My head fell a bit, a sense of a strong bond breaking into shattered pieces. It was one of those inevitable moments where I could do nothing but react in a girlish way.

I could feel his malicious smile on my figure as my head hung in defeat, tears continuing to slide down my cheeks. I didn’t struggle when his fingers slid under my chin, lifting my head up to stare at him. A shiver ran down my spine when my eyes landed on his. The look in his eyes was so dark and cruel, it was almost as though I whole new character had taken over his body.

"Now, we are going to leave and have a wonderful night together, since it might be your last with me. We want to make it memorable, don't we?" The dark sarcasm in his voice made my face cringe and turn into a glare. I was beginning to feel the effects of his cruel treatment. I jolted my head out of his hands, glaring at him with more hate than I had shown anyone. He smirked, his eyes showing excitement to my reaction. Why did I have to fall for the bad guy this time? The one time I finally found my Prince Charming, he turns out to be worse than the devil.

"I already like this reaction from you; it’s a turn on. Disobedient woman have always been my favorite. It's fun to watch them crumble. Their strong will is so easily shattered," he said with unkind eyes unlike any I had ever seen. They were full of cruel intentions. I spat in his face, something that surprised me more than him. He growled, wiping away the saliva from his face. His smirk had disappeared as soon as I had shown any movement.

"I think you will learn to respect me, Grace. I am not such a nice guy."

"No kidding," I retorted with venom. I gasped, feeling a stinging sensation run across my whole face side, my head turning to the side. He had slapped me...hard. I could already feel a bruise begin to form on my cheek.

"I repeat; you will learn to respect me, or face the consequences. In the end, Grace, you will have no choice to become an obedient bride," he growled. It took me a second to register what he had spoken. I slowly lifted my aching head to turn back to him, an incredulous look showing in my eyes. It quickly faded when I saw the wicked smirk on his face. Instead, I glared as darkly as I could.

"I refuse to be your bride. You'll have to kill me first." I snarled with gritted teeth. I lost my bearing when Desmond began to laugh hysterically. I shivered from his dark laugh. Everything he now did I found dark. I could now feel the evil aura around him, illuminating off him like steam. He quieted down quickly before staring at me with pure amusement.

"Oh, Grace, it's so nice to know that you consider me a person who has desire for you. But even though I enjoy watching your reaction to my words, I have to tell you that I am not your wanted lover. I believe Cain wants you as his own, not I. I'm not much for powerless girls who act like a damsel in distress. I favor girls who have more womanly attributes. Besides, I only use humans for my desires and food, not for loving." Every word he spoke was stabbing me. I could feel myself become numb.

Is this what it felt like when you were betrayed? I lost my will to stand and began to slip down the wall. I groaned when I felt Desmond catch me from falling to the floor, lifting me up and bringing me close to his body.

"I will admit that you have one fantastic body. Too bad I can't try it out once before I give it away. Oh well, let's go," he said with a shrug and a sigh. He really didn't sound that upset about it. I gave up fighting, wishing to just die. I was waiting for some creature to come and kill me. My heart had been ripped out, so death could come at any time. I only hoped that the day came soon. Desmond lifted me into his arms and began to carry me bridal style out into the hall. Ivan and Dawn were waiting patiently out in the living room, sitting across from each other in the single chairs. They both sat up when they saw Desmond carry me into the room.

"Leaving already?" Ivan asked. Desmond nodded his head, his smirk never leaving his lips, as though happy he had accomplished breaking me for the day. Dawn glanced to me. She sent me a quick look of sympathy before turning back to Ivan. I didn't care anymore. These two probably already knew about what Desmond was planning to do to me. I was guessing that they were playing the innocence card even though they knew what kind of person Desmond was. They were part of the game. I stared down and away from Desmond's chest, feeling completely inadequate.

"Yes, I'm afraid I have some unfinished business to take care of. I bid you both adieu and thank you for letting us stay here for a while." I couldn't understand it. He was now acting like the good friend/ guy. I was beginning to believe he had a split personality.

"You're welcome anytime,” Ivan said, and then glanced down to me in Desmond’s arms. “The both of you are welcome.” I didn't stare back. Instead, I stared deadly at the ground. Ivan's smile turned upside down from the look on my face as Desmond nodded his head to his friend, carrying me down the stairs and out the door without a second glance. Before the door closed, I glimpsed back to see Dawn and Ivan staring at me with concerned eyes. The door closed, and the fallen angels were out of sight. I looked up to the sky, and it was still pitch black. It couldn't have been more than one in the morning. It would be a while before the sun would come up.

Desmond carried me to the black sports car, shoving me in the front seat carelessly before slamming the door and walking to the other side to get into the driver’s seat. I looked away and stared plainly out the door, feeling his eyes on me while he sat next to me in the car. I thought of running, but knew it would futile. How does a mortal outrun a vampire?

"Grow up, Grace. Your moping is going to get you nowhere,” he practically snapped, starting the car, putting it into reverse before screeching the wheels down the path, putting it in drive, and driving off. I didn't know where he was taking me now, nor did I care. I only hoped it was somewhere I didn't have to be around him. Maybe he would take me to Cain. At least Cain hadn’t stolen my heart from me.

It was only about 5 minutes later when Desmond broke the silence. I could have cared less if he never spoke to me again at the moment.

"Have you ever felt like you're special in any sort of way? Like you have a special talent?" he asked in a low voice. I knew what he was trying to do. He wanted to find out what my talent was so that he could take me to Cain, get me out of his hair. Too bad I had no idea what this talent was.

I remained silent, not even glancing to him as we drove on. I could feel his eyes switch back and forth between me and the road, waiting for my reply.

"Grace, you heard my question," he pushed me on to answer him. I didn't have answers to give him. He growled in annoyance when I continued to remain silent. The car jerked so suddenly that my head slammed against the window. I grabbed my head in pain; I was sure I was seeing stars.

"Answer me," he said in a more demanding tone.

I finally turned to him and glared with menace. "I don't know! Leave me the hell alone!" I was in so much pain, I couldn't control my voice. I cringed as I held my head in my hands.

Desmond sighed and turned back to the road. "Well, we'll just have to wait until you figure out what your gift is."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, a not-so-happy ending to a chapter. Desmond is a bastard, I know.
Please comment...I'll update faster. :)