Endless

House Meeting

"What do you want for dinner?" I rolled my eyes at Cory's desperation to get me to talk.
"Don't know." Cory sighed and began getting ingredients for pasta. One of my favorites, but I didn't tell him.
It's been pretty quiet the past few days. I'm not in school because it's summer (thank god!) and Cory's been working almost everyday, but he took the evening off to spend some time with me.
It was silent for a while, both of us not knowing what to say. I haven't seen him in about 14 years and I don't remember much from my toddler years.
"So what you've been doing for the past 14 years?" I may as well try to be nice.
He smiled at me for trying, "Well I was in school for about 7 years and I worked as an archaeologist in Egypt and Arabia for 5 years. But for the past couple of years, I worked as a museum curator."
Someone's kept busy..." No wonder we never heard from you."
"Dad didn't always like keeping contact with us. Especially Tyler; I rarely hear from him, but when I do, it isn't for a family g--"
The doorbell rang loudly, I jumped. Cory sighed and turned the water on. "Come in!"
I heard the door yanked open and slammed shut. Footsteps crossed the hallway and reached us in the kitchen. "Cory, I need you help."
The man standing in the doorway looked familiar. A lot like dad but he had Cory's deep blue eyes. He was probably 6'2 and well built.
I was 99% sure that he was my other brother, Tyler.
"I don't have the time to deal with your problems, Tyler." Cory kept his eyes on the food and continued to work.
Tyler ran a hand through his dark hair. It was a bit greasy, but that suited him quite well. He looked at me, "Who's she?"
Cory sighed and put the raw noodles in the boiling water. "Her name is Hailey."
I guess he didn't want to tell him that I was their sister. And Tyler didn't seem to know.
"Is she like a new girlfriend? A bit too young for you, is she like 17?" Cory gritted his teeth.
"If you were around long enough nowadays to visit your family, you'd know that Dad was killed a couple of months ago." I looked down at the table.
"But what's she got to do with it?" He's extremely stupid...
"Hailey happens to be our sister. She's been in the hospital for weeks because Dad's killers attacked her."
Tyler's jaw dropped and he looked at me, "You mean what I think you mean?"
I groaned in understanding, they don't want me to know something. "If you want to keep whatever it is a secret, could you do that in another room."
Tyler glared at me, "I've had a bit of a ruff day, so if I want to keep something a secret while you're in the room; I can!"
Someone has anger issues, I shrugged, "First, you didn't make any sense, and second, I've had a worse couple of months, so I beat you."
Cory looked meanfully at Tyler, who groaned, "I'm not letting my 16 year old sister boss me around! She knows nothing and you're still going to let her boss me around?"
He sighed and looked at me, "Could you give me and 'grown-up' Tyler a chance to talk in private. I'll call you when dinners ready."
I nodded and got up to leave. Boys and their problems, like seriously, I've had a lot worse, haven't I?
Whatever they're talking about I'm going to find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate writing short stuff but this is all I could write...hope it was good and chapter 3 in my opinion is so much better!
J