Endless

Remember

Chapter 4

"Come on! Wake up, Cory we'll kill me if you don't wake up soon." The flawless voice of my ass of a brother swirled around my head.
I groaned and forced my eyes to slowly open to see Tyler face etched with worry. I quickly looked around to see I was in my living room. Flashes of what happened before imprinted itself in my head. My body shot up. Tyler leaned away.
"You okay Hailey?"
I turned to him, it was unbelievable on how stupid he was. "Am I okay? I JUST WALKED INTO MY BROTHERS ROOM TO FIND RANDOM NEWSPAPERS DESCRIBING THE DEATH OF PEOPLE QUITE VISUALLY! AND TO TOP THAT OFF FOR SOME FUCKING REASON SOMEONE WROTE DEMONS ON EVERY CORNER OF EACH AND EVERY NEWSPAPER! YOU TELL ME IF I'M OKAY?"
Tyler sighed, "Sorry I didn't know you were going in there. It's just a random project I started."
Oh, that did it. "I really doubt that was a 'project' Tyler because really, who would put newspaper all over their walls about mutilated girls for a 'project.' No one does! You and Cory vanished from my life and I never see you and now that I'm back you act like nothing happened. SOMETHING DID! I saw my daddy killed in front of my eyes!" Tears slid down my face.
Tyler looked down, "Dad and I never got a long. I wanted to do something that he quit. He said he wouldn't have it in his house. Ever since mom died, he was so careful. He knew me and Cory were already fucked up. He didn't want me or Cory near you if we started, so he moved without telling us and vanished. We seriously tried to find you guys to explain."
"Your not telling my anything! Who cares about that, it WAS the past! I want about now because every since I came here I knew you were hiding something BUT YOU WON'T TELL ME!" Tears kept falling as I got more frustrated.
Tyler growled, "HAVEN'T YOU BEEN LISTENING! I CAN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING BECAUSE I SWORE NOT TOO. IT WAS THE ONE THING WE PROMISED DAD, HE NEVER WANTED YOU TO GET MIXED UP IN THAT LIFE. NOT MUCH OF A LIFE, MORE LIKE A PRISON, BUT I KEPT A PROMISE AND I PLAN KEEPING IT TOO!"
I choked back a sob as memories of dad that Tyler helped come back to me. Flashes of when we went to the park for a play date. Times when we went out for special occasion like birthdays and grades. When I was little he would take me to the pond and point out the little fishy.
*Flashback*
"Hail, look over here. See that one, isn't she pretty?" Dad's deep voice floated over to where I was looking about a blue-green fish. I ran over to him to see a pure purple fish and I squealed.
"Can I have him daddy...I've always wanted a fishy!"
Dad smiled, "No sweets, it wouldn't be fair because what will happen to her family. You wouldn't want to take her from her family?"
I shook my head.
He looked up to the sky, "All life should be treasured because you never know when someone will take it. Your mother and I always had a saying; "We can discover this meaning in life in three different ways: (1) by doing a deed; (2) by experiencing a value; and (3) by suffering." I leaned the thats the hard way. Remember when---"
"End of Flashback*
"We can discover this meaning in life in three different ways: (1) by doing a deed; (2) by experiencing a value; and (3) by suffering." I whispered it. Looked at Tyler.
"Sometimes keeping someone ignorant is as bad as someone knowing too much." I got up and ran to my room and slammed my door. I flopped onto my bed and cried as I remembered the awful day I tried but failed to forget.
*Flashback*
I pulled my earphone out of my ears, "Dad! When is dinner ready?" I was pretty sure he heard me.
"A few minutes, you should start cleaning up!" I smiled and paused Miley Cyrus, 7 things. Weird song but it was annoyingly good. My math text book flopped onto the floor with a pop and closed. It'll live. The door bell rang and echoed through the hall.
"I'll get it!" Dad loud footsteps caused the floorboard to creak. The door groaned as he pulled open and I slip over to the top of the staircase. I sat on the top step so they couldn't see me but I could see them.
"Mr. Johnson?" The first man voice was young about 22 years old with a small accent I couldn't place between Irish or British.
My father leaned against the door, "Yes?"
A loud BANG exploded through the house. I covered my ears and held my breath. The door slammed shut and I heard an oomph as people dragged someone across the floor to the living room--better for me to see.
Dad looked haggard now and his left leg had blood blossoming around it. He looked at them and growled, "What the fuck do you want with me."
And elderly man with who looked like he had whiskers came forward. "You ruined my plan Jeff and so did your wife. We dealt with her and now we need to deal with you."
The men came to form a circle around dad and pulled objects from their belts. Next thing I heard were groans and occasionally a gasp as each man came forward with their objects. Whisker guy parted the circle so I could see me dad.
He body was cover with deep gashes all over. Each would oozed slowly down his body to the finished hardwood. The crimson color of the blood became more richer and deeper and the even deeper wound crept across his body. How was he able to hold then pain?
"You days of peaceful leisure are over Jeff, you should have stuck with that cult, they would have helped you. But your too late." Whiskers brought a large butchers knife and raised it high. He swung as hard as he could and I closed my eyes as the sound of the SWISH and gurgle as my fathers head was dismembered from his body.
I screamed and leaped down the staircase to where my dad was. The men were surprised to see me as I knelt by my dad, I sobbed and cradled his body. "Daddy, you were brave. Daddy I'm so sorry." Tears slowly fell onto the hole that was his neck, his blood soaked my light blue t-shirt.
I kept repeating the words when everything went dark.
*End of Flashback*
I sobbed and pressed my pillow to my face, I was never going to forget. When you see something like that, the death of your father. It leaves a scar no matter what size it does and you can't do anything but to heal it as best as you can and try to move on.
If only it were as easy as saying it...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry, I got really bad writer's block and my teacher would always have stuff to do on Friday other than writing journal. I'd like to thank my friend Kay who forced me to write or I never would have!
Lots of Love
J