The Notebook

Part Nine

“That was awesome,” Frankie exclaimed, grinning. “I mean- They just- That was so cool.”

Gerard laughed, leading the way out of the theatre room. “I think my favorite part was when Ingrid tried to eat Leon’s brains.”

“Oh yeah, that was wicked. I was sure he was a gonner.”

“Nah, I knew he and Ashley would end up fucking because the thing was over.”

“I didn’t think she’d make it either, once that little guy got a hold of her. Oh, but my favorite part,” the younger boy said, nearly bouncing with excitement, “was the end. When Leon just- BAM! Blew Saddler’s head right off! I swear, that was the coolest thing I have ever seen!”

“Shhh,” Gerard said, laughing as people stared after Frankie’s little outburst. Frankie blushed bright red and quieted down, following Gerard through the lobby.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, embarrassed. “Got a little too excited, I guess…”

“Don’t apologize. It was cute.” Gerard stopped once they were outside and turned to face him. “Are you hungry?”

“Uh… Sure, if you are. What did you have in mind?”

“Well, I would normally just walk over to the Taco Bell, but if you’d rather have something a little nicer…”

“No, Taco Bell’s fine,” Frankie replied, smiling. Gerard nodded and they walked across the parking lot to the small fast-food restaurant. After looking over the menu for a few minutes, Gerard turned to him. “Do you know what you want?”

“Yeah, but… I didn’t bring any money,” he admitted, smiling sheepishly. “And you already paid for the movie…”

Gerard chuckled. “It’s a date, silly. I’m supposed to pay.”

Frankie blushed. “O-okay, then, if you’re sure…”

“I am. Now go ahead, you can order first.” He lightly pushed Frankie forward, and the younger boy listed off what he wanted. When he was done, he stepped aside so Gerard could place his order.

“And…” Gerard began after telling the purple-clad woman at the cash register what he wanted. He turned to Frankie. “Do you want to share an order of cinnamon twists?”

“Sure,” Frankie replied, smiling.

“One order of cinnamon twists,” Gerard finished, handing over some money and taking his receipt. They found an empty booth nearby and sat, relaxing as best they could against the plastic seats. “I’m glad you liked the movie,” Gerard said finally, breaking the silence. Frankie grinned.

“It was awesome. Thanks for, um, taking me.” He blushed again. Gerard grinned and Frankie’s heart beat faster. He’d always found Gerard’s smile to be one of the older boy’s best features.

“My pleasure.” He turned his head as their number was called. “I’ll be right back,” he said, getting up to grab their food. He returned moments later, setting the tray between them. “Quite the romantic dinner,” he said. Frankie giggled.

“It smells great.” He hadn’t realized how hungry he was; he’d been too focused on the movie and the boy sitting next to him to eat much of the popcorn.

“That it does,” Gerard agreed, taking a bite of his taco. They ate silently for a few moments before Gerard spoke again. “You look nice tonight.”

“Thanks,” Frankie muttered, blood rushing to his cheeks once again. He wondered how many times he’d blushed just in the few hours they’d spent together. “Uh… so do you. But you always look good, so that’s probably not much of a surprise…”

Gerard laughed. “You think so?” The younger boy nodded. “Huh. I don’t necessarily believe that, but it’s nice to hear.” He grinned.

“Why wouldn’t you believe it?”

“Well, there are definitely days when I look in the mirror and know that I do not look my best. And I can look rather horrible on a bad day.”

“I don’t think that’s possible,” Frankie told him, and he smiled.

“You’re sweet.” When they’d both finished eating, Gerard threw all of their wrappers away while Frank put the tray where it belonged. “Are we ready to go?”

Frankie nodded and they headed out, climbing into Gerard’s car. “I love this song,” he said as soon as the radio started. “Mind if I turn it up?”

“No, go ahead.”

Gerard turned the volume dial to the right and the song played louder. He sang along as he drove them back to Frankie’s house, smiling in his direction every once in a while. He parked the car when the reached Frankie’s driveway and they climbed out.

“Sorry you had to listen to me sing,” Gerard said, laughing as he walked with Frankie up to the door. “When I know a song, I can’t really help it.”

“That’s fine. I like your singing voice.” They stopped when they reached the door. “Uh… Tonight was really fun,” he said quietly, hoping his parents had gone to bed by now.

“It was, wasn’t it?” Gerard grinned. “I’m glad Mikey called me.”

“Me too.” He glanced at the door. “Well, I’ll… see you around?”

“Yeah.” The older boy seemed to hesitate for a moment, then leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “Goodnight.”

“’Night,” Frankie whispered back, his stomach fluttering. He opened the door and stepped inside, smiling and giving a quick wave before closing the door. He squealed and ran up the stairs, sure that that had been the best moment of his life.

-----

A/N: I made up that zombie movie they're watching, using characters names from Resident Evil 4. But what they describe is nothing like the RE4 storyline. Just in case anyone's curious. [And if you like video games at all and you have a PS2/Gamecube/Nintendo Wii (ESPECIALLY the wii) I recommend you go out and get that game because it's sooo much fun.]