‹ Prequel: My Heart's Melodie

Forever.

eight.

“In third place, taking home the bronze trophy, is Hollywood High Harpies’ Drill Team!”

Cheer, hurrah, scream, yell, cheer somemore…

“In second place, taking home the silver trophy and going to Nationals, is West High Warriors’ Warriorettes!”

Somemore screaming, some yays, blah blah blah. Can we just get to first already?!

“And in first…”

Yes…

“Taking home the gold trophy and leading us to Nationals…”

Come on…

“Is…”

Just say it already!

“The Jordan High Panthers’ Advanced Dance Team!”

Holy. Schnapple.

I screamed with the rest of my team, jumping around and cheering like crazy. I couldn’t believe we had just won Regionals. Which we had never been to before. And we were going to Nationals. For the first time in Mountain Lion history.

“Would the Panthers’ team captain please come up here and accept your trophy?”

I could feel two pairs of hands on my back, shoving me out into the aisle to walk to the stage where the announcer was standing, holding our massive first place trophy. I turned back for just a moment to see Hannah and Cass grinning at me, giving me a thumbs up, and making me smiled harder than before. I laughed.

Finally, I made it up onto stage, where the announcer handed me the overly-large trophy, and gave me an equally large congratulations.

I couldn’t help but laugh more when I looked back out into the audience to see Stacy the only only one not acting like a maniac. She was glaring at me from her seat, where she was still sitting and not standing, probably plotting my death. Even though we had won, I had proved to be a better leader than her.

I walked back to my team, earning the most hugs in one minute than I had ever had in my life. Could this day get any better?

**--**--**

The whole team was back in their hotel rooms, chilling now that we were finally done with the stress of Regionals. I knew that we were all going to need some serious down time before we made it back to school on Monday, so I left everyone alone after the competition for some rest and relaxation. But my R & R was being disturbed.

I looked at my phone, which was currently ringing, scrunching up my nose in confusion of the number. It was one that I didn’t recognize, but I fliipped it open and answered anyways.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

“Melodie Thomason?” a voice answered me.

“Yes, this is Melodie,” I responded with a tired voice.

“Good morning, Ms. Thomason. This is Principle Smith.” I suddenly felt awake. Why would the principle be calling me?

“Oh, hello Mrs. Smith. How may I help you?”

“I’m calling about your grades.”

My eyes widened. My grades? I was in all AP classes, and last time I had checked, I had an A in every single one of them.

“Mrs. Smith, there must be a misunderstanding. I’m passing all of my classes—”

“Which would be why I’m calling,” she interuppted. “You’re in all AP classes and you have close to one hundred percent in every single one of them. Not only this, but you’re also the captain for the advanced dance team, which is usually the role of a senior. Ms. Thomason, it’s almost like you’ve skipped you’re entire junior year.”

I didn’t respond, afraid of where she was getting at. Was she mad?

“Ms. Thomason, do you realize what I’m saying?”

“No, not quite Mrs. Smith,” I responded nervously.

“Let me put it this way. I’ve talked to the school superintendent and he quite agrees with me that you should graduate early.”

My voice was completely gone when she said that. I was a junior, and it was two months until senior graduation. She couldn’t possibly mean that she wanted me to graduate this year. Surely, I had some credits still to be finished before I could graduate.

“Ms. Thomason?”

“Yes, I’m here,” I replied hoarsely. “Are you meaning to say that I’m graduating this year?”

“Well, yes. Your actual senior year would be completely pointless, seeing as you have finished all of your credits this year. I’m not sure how you did it, Ms. Thomason, but you sure did.”

I was astounded. I had finished all of my credits, and my grades were high enough that they wanted me to graduate early. I wouldn’t have one year left of high school without Joe, afterall.

“The school board has already discussed it thoroughly, and they all agree with the superintendent and I. Now all we need is a few signed papers from you and your parents, and it’ll be all set.”

Parents. The word sliced through me like a knife. I hadn’t been to the cemetary since my dad had died last November. But that wasn’t the reason the tears came to my eyes.

The mere thought of my father brought a sharp pain to my heart. I missed him so much, and felt so bad for not even thinking of him lately. He wouldn’t see me graduate, he wouldn’t hear of our win at the dance competition, and I wouldn’t be able to tell him how much I loved him.

“Y-Yeah, okay,” I stuttered. “When do you want us?”

“Any time before June hits. And thank you, Ms. Thomason.”

I let out a sigh and ran a hand through my hair. “Thank you to you too, Mrs. Smith.”

“Goodbye.”

“Bye,” I muttered after she hung up.
♠ ♠ ♠
woooooo! finally updated (:
comment, subscribe, and refer!
love you guys <3333