Status: Complete

My House is NOT Haunted

Brandon

Now, that was not something I expected.

Brandon? What are you doing here?” I squeaked.

Whitney’s eyes widened. Brandon smirked. “I couldn’t be away from my father for very long. He’s fairly angry I haven’t come home sooner, actually.”

My sister leapt up from her chair next to my bed, and took a defensive stance. “Brandon, I suggest you leave. Now. And don’t come near my sister again.

I got out of the bed, a little unstable at first, and mimicked Whitney’s position. Somehow, I knew she had the right idea.

He snickered. “You really think I’m going to take that seriously?”

“You should,” Whitney snarled.

At that moment, four people barged into the room. Brooke was first, her now-light brown hair flying behind her. Next was the blonde guy, Taylor. Third was a guy I didn’t recognize with messy black hair. The last person was someone I really didn’t expect to see here. Jason. Wait. What was he doing here?

Brooke stepped forward, so that she was standing almost directly behind Brandon. “That would be a smart idea, Brandon. Whitney can even beat Aiden-” she pointed to the black-haired guy “-in hand-to-hand. I wouldn’t mess with her.”

He whipped around to her. The next thing I knew, she was sprawled out on the ground, her face already getting red on one side. “Shut up, b*tch. And don’t even think I’m finished with you,” he spat.

I stared wide-eyed at Brooke, who now lay still on the floor.

Whitney didn’t seem affected. “I swear to God, if you even think about going near my sister again-”

He cut her off. “You’ll what? Kill me? I really don’t think that’s going to happen.”

Brandon reached into his jacket and pulled out a gun. Things just got a whole lot worse.

My gaze traveled to the gun’s barrel, which was pointed right at… my heart. Crud.

“You see, you’re not really in any position to be threatening me. All I want is Kelly, and I’ll spare you if she comes quietly. How does that sound?”

Jason stepped up behind him. “Why do you want my girlfriend?” Hate dripped from every word.

I blinked at him with surprise. It may not have been a good time, but I was secretly jumping for joy that he’d actually said I was his girlfriend aloud.

Brandon’s smirk widened. “The same thing you want.”

Two things happened. First, Jason ran over and tackled Brandon. Second, knowing what he was doing, I ducked, barely missing a speeding bullet.

I knew I had to do something. “Brandon!” I screamed, getting his attention. “You want me? Come get me!” And with that, I raced out of the room, but not before kneeing him where the sun hopefully doesn’t shine.

The hallway seemed endless, but I got out to a warehouse-looking building where a bunch of men were standing around. Normally, I would’ve been self-conscious, but running for your life tends to make things like grown men staring at me seem unimportant.

The funny thing about imminent death is that it really puts things into perspective.

I could see at the other end that there was an exit. I sprinted toward it, praying it was unlocked. Just as I got there, I heard Brandon shout, “Get back here, b*tch!”

Again, if he hadn’t had a gun in his hand, I probably would’ve reacted differently.

I wrenched the door open and ran out into the parking lot. I mean, really, a secret assassin’s training facility has a parking lot? I didn’t think much about it, though, seeing as my insane ex-boyfriend was chasing me with a gun.

As soon as I was a few steps outside, I was soaked. It was just my luck that it was raining.

Miraculously, I spotted a car in the lot with keys in the ignition. I hadn’t seen it before, but it was my only escape. I hopped into it, and started it. As the engine roared to life, I heard gunshots hit it. Great.

I sped out of the parking lot, not knowing where I was going, but not really caring, either. As I turned out of there, the passenger side window shattered, obliviously hit by a bullet. It didn’t hit me, but it scared the heebie-jeebies out of me.

I raced down the street, in and out of traffic. People honked and I’m pretty sure one boy flipped me off, but I was desperate to get… anywhere but there.

I reached a stoplight, and dimly, I recognized that we were right near the high school. I knew my way all over town from here. The light turned green, and I pushed the gas pedal to the floor.

More honking sounded, but I didn’t care less. A large thunder clap roared overhead and shook the car. I honestly hadn’t realized, even then, that it might not have been such a bright idea to be driving around.

Not knowing where else to go, I took a right at the next stoplight, toward my house. I knew my parents were gone, they’d left for a week when I was kidnapped, so I wouldn’t have to worry about them being hurt next door. Same with Jason’s mom.

As I pulled up in front of my house, I got a strange feeling of déjà vu. It was then that I realized where I recognized this from: my dream.

More shots rang out, and I hustled into my house. Thank God, it was unlocked. I sprinted up the stairs two at a time, knowing full well that Brandon was right behind me. Unlike in my dream, I was sure it was him.

I heard someone clambering up the stairs, and shots being fired in my direction. I didn’t dare turn around. I ran down the long hallway, my legs burning, threatening to give out. I ignore that as I reached my bedroom door.

Just as in my dream, the searing pain erupted in my left shoulder. I knew I’d been shot, and normally I would’ve been paralyzed, but by now you should know that this night was anything but normal. I wanted more than anything to cry out in pain, but I forced it back and made my way out to the balcony.

“Come on, b*tch!” Brandon called while pounding on the door. “Come out, come out, wherever you are!”

I was vaguely reminded of the wolf from the three little pigs. “Not by the hair on my chinnie-chin-chin,” I muttered under my breath.

I darted out of the room and onto the balcony. Knowing full well that Brandon was going to crash through the door any second, I wasted no time scrambling to get onto the railing, despite my now useless left arm.

I stood there, dangerously unstable, as he bashed the door open with a smirk. Knowing that I was going to fall if I didn’t move, I jumped.

I’ll tell you this: it felt nothing like flying. It was more like, jump-over-to-that-railing-or-fall-to-your-death. I chose the first one. I gripped the railing with my right hand, seeing as how my left one dangled uselessly by side, and pulled myself onto Jason’s balcony. I landed with a soft thud before whirling around to face my pursuer.

Brandon was perched on my balcony’s railing, staring at me intently, the gun’s barrel pointed at my heart. Again. I just then realized I’d made a mistake: I was a sitting duck.

Something clicked in my head. Heck, if I was going to die, I might as well die knowing the truth. “You killed Amber, didn’t you?”

His wicked grin grew, and I knew I’d gotten my answer.

He leaned forward to jump balconies when it happened again. He lost his footing on the railing, since it was pouring and really slippery. His feet fell forward, and on his way down his back collided with the railing and I heard the sickening crack of bones breaking.

I watched as he fell through the gap, shooting randomly, most likely trying to hit me. His body fell limply to the ground, the loud crack sounding again. I flinched. I’d never liked that noise. Brandon’s form lay still on the ground three stories below. Even through my soaked bangs, I could tell he wasn’t moving.

It was only when I’d looked to my balcony that I realized Layney was standing there, just behind where Brandon had been standing. When she saw me staring at her, she smiled. “You have no idea how good that felt.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Turkey Day! This is my present: finishing my story. Oh, this isn't the last chapter. And it's not really even Thanksgiving anymore... But you get it. Enjoy!