Status: Complete

My House is NOT Haunted

School

A month later, school started. Jason and I talked almost every day, and Whitney had hit almost every store in town.

You know how they say you always need to make a good first impression? Yeah, that isn’t really how to describe my first day of school.

Oh, sure, it was all right. But it wasn’t exactly the star-studded metropolis Whitney and I thought it would be. Luckily, we had Jason to show us the ropes, so to speak. Since I was a “smarty-pants” (Whitney’s name for me), I ended up in all the same classes as Jason, while Whitney found some cheerleader with the same pants as hers. Oh, and the same classes, too. Like that really mattered.

I was sucking on my lemon-lime Tootsie Roll Pop (my food of choice for when I get nervous) as Jason and I walked into homeroom. He took a seat next to a bunch of nerdy-looking guys in the first row and motioned me to sit down with them. I took a seat right behind them, and they introduced themselves as Paul, Rich, Dexter, and John. I didn’t realize it at first, because he was so quiet, but there was another boy there as well.

Rich was the first person to speak after Jason introduced me. He let out a low whistle. “God, Jason. Is she brainwashed, or something? Because usually hot girls like Kelly here -” he winked at me “– Don’t even know we exist.”

I blushed a little at hearing that. I mean, I’m not ugly. Just nobody ever thought of me as hot. Maybe it was the new miniskirt I was wearing.

Jason had a confused look on his face. “What are you talking about?”

“You’re smokin’ new girlfriend, dude.”

I blushed even darker.

Every one looked around to find who had said that. Well, I did anyway. It was the real quiet guy in the corner. Boy, he was hot.

“She’s not my girlfriend, Brandon,” Jason snapped.

Brandon stood up and walked across the room. “Oh. Well, you won’t mind if I ask her out then, will you?” A small smile crept across his face.

“What makes you think she’d go out with you?” Jason glared at the newcomer.

“Well, why would she settle for you, when she could have me?” He laughed at his attempt at a joke.

Brandon turned to me. “So, how about Friday? I’ll take you down to the beach for a ‘back to school’ party?”

The lollipop I’d been sucking on almost fell out of my mouth. “Sure,” I croaked.

“Sweet. What’s your number?”

I was really glad I’d taken the time to memorize our new phone number. “555-7456,” I told him.

He wrote it down on his arm and winked at me. “Cool. See ya,” he said and went back to his seat.

“What’s your problem?” Jason demanded as soon as Brandon was out of earshot.

“What are you talking about?” I said.

“You said yes to Brandon Smith! Are you insane?”

“Well, I don’t know anyone here! What’s wrong with him?”

Jason’s lips parted like he was going to say something, but I never did get to find out what, since the bell rang and the teacher, Mr. Davis, walked in.

-----

I sat with Whitney and the cheerleaders at lunch, since Jason still wasn’t talking to me. And after listening to all that stimulating conversation (“OMG I love those pants!”), I was pretty fed up. I picked up my books and headed to the library.

As it turns out, Jason and Rich were there checking out a book. I saw them and was about to go and say hi until I heard Jason say my name. They were one row over, so I could hear them talking, even in hushed tones.

“Look, I’m just worried about Kelly… You know what happened to Amber last summer!” Jason whisper-shouted.

“Dude, he was just careless, and it was an accident. They didn’t mean for it to happen. And anyway, why do you care? You just met her this summer,” Rich responded.

“I know, I know. But… I can’t explain it. But you know Brandon only asked her out because it looked like she was with me.”

“Maybe he thought she was cute?”

“No, I’m serious. That’s the reason he asked Amber. Because she was going out with me. And I’m pretty sure he wants the same thing from Kelly.”

I was leaning against the shelf, listening, and when I heard about this Amber, I leaned even more, until I accidentally pushed about half of the shelves’ books onto the floor on the other side.

Jason and Rich looked at me, alarmed.

“Sorry,” I muttered. “I was just trying to get a book on one of the higher shelves.”

“Kelly, did you hear what we were talking about?” Jason wanted to know.

“Kind of,” I answered shyly.

“Jason, just tell her. She’ll find out sooner or later,” Rich said.

“Fine,” Jason replied stiffly.

“Find out what?” I said.

“The truth about Brandon. The reason I freaked out on you this morning.” He sighed. “At the beginning of last summer, I was going out with this girl named Amber Foster. Then one day, while we were at the beach, she and Brandon took off somewhere, leaving me alone. I tried calling her cell phone, but she never answered. I didn’t see her again that night.”

“A couple months later,” Rich went on for Jason, “She found out that… that she was pregnant.”

Jason nodded. “Right, and Brandon was the father, since we never… well, you get the idea. She told him, and about a week later, she disappeared. And no one’s ever found her.”

I stood there, my mouth hanging open.

“That can’t be true!” I croaked, “I don’t believe you.”

“Kelly, please,” Jason pleaded, “Don’t go out with him. I don’t want that happening to you.” He put his hands on my shoulders and looked into my eyes. My heart did that little flippy thing again.

“Look,” I said, shrugging his hands off, “I’ll be careful, all right? I’m smarter than you think.”

“I know that, Kelly, but just listen to me!”

“I’m outta here,” Rich said and left. Jason and I were alone.

“Jason,” I said softly, “I promise I won’t let anything happen to me. OK?”

“Kelly…” he breathed.

Let me tell you, I was freaked out. Jason leaned closer and closer, until his face was inches from mine. He was going to kiss me. I was sure he was going to kiss me. But then the bell rang.

“S – Sorry,” I stammered, “I’ve got to get to class.”

“I’ll walk you.” He had to trot to keep up with me.

“No, really, I know where I’m going.” And with that, I ran ahead into the crowd of people in hall.

I walked into study hall feeling a little overwhelmed. Well, you would be, too, if your first friend in a new city had just tried to kiss you.

I sat down next to a tough-looking, red-headed girl in the first row. “Hi, I’m Kelly.”

“I’m Brooke,” she said, “You must be the new girl.”

“Is it really that obvious?”

“Kind of.”

The teacher walked in and told us all to quiet.

-----

After school, I got in my car and sat in the driver’s seat for a while, contemplating the day’s events. I’d gotten asked out by a really hot guy, almost kissed by my best friend, and made friends with the class bully (Brooke).

So, all in all, a good day.

As I was thinking, Jason walked up and tapped on the passenger seat window. Then I remembered that I was supposed to drive him home because he’d forgotten to fill up his car.

I unlocked the door and he got in and fastened his seatbelt. I started the engine.

“Thanks,” Jason said once we were on the road, “for the ride, by the way.”

“No problem,” I said casually.

“Look, I really hope you’ve given thought to the thing about Brandon.”

I was really caught off guard when he said this and swerved the car. Jason gripped the dashboard.

“Sorry,” I panted, “Um… I guess I have. And Jason —” I turned to face him, “I’m going.”

“Well I guess I can’t do anything about that. But I swear if he tries anything, call me, OK?”

All I could manage to do was nod at this point.

“And… about what happened… almost happened in the library—”

He didn’t get to finish his thought, though, because we pulled up to our houses to find a swarm of police cars in front of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um.... yeah. Still trying to figure this site out... This story is all written out, so i can post it whenever I want. I also have a few more stories to post, so if u like this one, let me know!