Status: Complete

My House is NOT Haunted

Secrets

Whitney’s P.O.V

Ok, I’d just like to clear some things up about me and my family.

First off, Kelly is totally right about my parents being crazy. They always have been, and unless they get into therapy, I’m pretty sure they always will be. Regardless, we love them.

Second, I’m not as much of an idiot as Kelly thinks I am. I’ve always been a cheerleader, so I can’t be smart, too. Although, I am taking college-level courses right now, but none of my friends know it.

Also, I don’t hate Kelly, by any means. She’s my sister. I could never hate her. But… I guess I don’t hang out with her because she’s so damn smart… and she’s allowed to tell people about it. Not that she does.

And third, I do not have a crush on Jason. I know, I flirted with him on the first day, and yes, I think he’s cute. However, if you’d seen the way he looks at my sister, you’d easily be able to tell he’s crazy about her. Apparently, she’s the only one who hasn’t figured it out yet.

I don’t know what could have possibly happened to Kelly to make her break down crying like that. She was usually the strong one, the sensible one, the one everyone counted on. This… this wasn’t like her. And I knew Jason would know something about it.

He was lounging on the couch in the living room when I found him. The TV was on, and he stared at it blankly, as if he didn’t realize it was there. I sat down next to him, and grabbed the remote to turn it off.

Suddenly realizing I was there, he turned to me, and raised an eyebrow.

I sighed. “Jason, I need to talk to you,” I said quietly.

He sat up straighter, and I could tell he looked… nervous. “Look, Whitney, you’re really nice and all, but-”

I held up a hand to silence him. “Don’t worry. It’s not about that. I need to talk to you about… about Kel.”

Relief showed in his face, and I let out a small giggle. “Oh, ok. What about her?”

“Well… look, I know you think I’m a horrible sister, but-”

“I don’t think that. Not after how you treated her tonight, anyway,” Jason said.

I blushed lightly. I was never one to take compliments well, surprisingly. “Oh, thanks. But, about Kel… What happened to her, exactly? I want to help.”

He stared at me for a moment, probably debating whether to tell me or not, before answering. “Brandon took her on a date tonight. He kissed her, and I… I watched through the door.” He hung his head shamefully. “I could tell that she wanted out of it, so I grabbed her and pulled her inside before Brandon knew what was going on.”

“Yeah, she told me that much… but what happened between you two?”

He went scarlet. “Well… I… I got mad at her on Monday for saying yes to Brandon because I don’t trust him. And when I talked to her about it later in the library…” he trailed off. I kind of got the feeling he didn’t trust me all that much.

“Jason, I won’t tell anyone, I swear. You can trust me,” I whispered.

He sighed. “I almost kissed her. I was going to kiss her, but then the bell rang and she freaked. I haven’t really talked to her much before tonight.”

I just stared at him. Why would he kiss her? I mean, I knew he was completely in love with her, but… it just seemed weird. Boy, that was random.

I nodded slowly, and opened my mouth to say something else when my cell phone rang. I excused myself, and headed to that bathroom once I read the caller ID. This was a private conversation.

-----

Kelly’s P.O.V.

Honestly, I didn’t know what woke me up later that night.

All I know is that when I did wake up, Layney was perched on the end of my bed, looking around blankly.

“Layney!” I shrieked, and hugged her. I hadn’t seen her in a long time! And she was a good friend.

She laughed and pulled away, holding a finger to her lips. “Shhh! You’ll wake the whole house up!” she whispered.

“Sorry. What are you doing here? Where have you been? What time is it?”

“Can’t I visit without facing the Spanish Inquisition? I came here to check on you, I’ve been staying at you’re house, since mold doesn’t have an effect on me, and according to your alarm clock it’s… three in the morning.”

I rolled my eyes. “Why would you need to check on me?”

Her face, or what I could see of it, became serious. “Kelly, some things have been going on around here lately that people don’t know about. Ghostly things.”

The way she said that made my shiver, but not from the cold.

Whitney came into the room, yanking a brush through her hair. It was wet, so I assumed she’d just taken a shower. Why did she take a shower at three in the morning? She sat on her bed, and grabbed the book she was reading from her nightstand. When she finally noticed I was in the room, she just said, “What?”

I glanced at Laney, and she giggled. I stared at her, and motioned for her to leave. Whitney looked at me like I was crazy. “What… what are you doing?”

I groaned, finally realizing that Laney wasn’t going anywhere, and pulled the covers over my head, hoping she would get the hint. She did, because when I peeked out from under the blankets a second later, she was gone, replaced by Whitney, who continued to look at me like I was bananas. I opened my mouth to defend myself, though honestly I didn’t know what I was going to say, when she cut me off with, “I don’t even want to know.” Heck, that worked for me.