Her Escape

Don't Make Promises You Don't Intend To Keep

“So what’s you’re story?” Mikey wonders.
Jade looks up at him confused.
“You sure you want to know?”
With-out hesitation he answers
“Yes, I want to know everything”
Jade smiles seemingly to herself, took a deep breath,
“Hear goes nothing” she paused
“Well right now I’m home on summer session. I go to school in London. It’s been my plan since I was a freshman in high school. I had a rough childhood. Both my parents were alcoholics. It got to its worst at night. They were never home and when they were they physically and mentally abused me. After someone tells you, you’re not good enough for so long you start to believe them. I started living in my head creating an alternate reality for myself. And soon or later I lost track of what was real and what I thought up in my head. This method worked out fine until I was in 7th grade. A friend of the family died, his name was Anthony, he was a twin, and his brother is gay. This shocked me out of my alternate world and forced me into reality. I was forced to deal with memories and experiences I had blocked out for so long and for good reasons. I started hiding in my closet and writing poetry. First just quotes on the walls and then full poems. After he died I sank into a depression. I tried taking my life numerous times over the course of a year or so.”
Jade’s voice gets low and shaky. She begins to cry. Mikey grabs her hand, softly stroking it with his thumb. Letting her know it was ok.
“I’m really sorry” he continues
“How?”
She answers looking down at her feet then into his eyes witch infused a feeling of comfort and security through her whole being.

“I overdosed on pills. Nothing major, Advil…one hundred and seven Advil. And I slit my wrists. I still have the scars. The thing is I was doing it non-stop for almost a year and I’ve had the scars all along. And my parents never cared enough to notice. No one did.”
She pauses again to regain her strength. Mikey continues to gently stroke her hand with his thumb.
“So naturally I was insecure and guys would lour me into being friends with benefits and then leave me. I would get attached and not be able to let go as easily as they could. I got hurt…a lot. I lost the ability to trust people, my faith in the world, other people and my faith in myself.”
Mikey teary eyed still grasping her hand in his leaned down and whispered in her ear
“I’m here for you. I promise”
Jade picks her head up swiftly and states with authority
“Don’t make promises you can’t or don’t intend to keep”

Not exactly the response Mikey was looking for. She got up and walked into her bunk. Leaving Mikey confused and alone on the couch, he got up slowly and walked back to the bunk area as-well. Instead of climbing into his bunk he climbed into hers. Jade was surprised and unaware of his intentions but still she trusted him and se she moved over letting him in. He just laid there on his back.
“After tonight’s show we have 2 days off. I will drive you back to New York so you can get clothes and stuff for the tour.”
Jade is calm now. She turns and says softly,
“Ok. Yeah that would be good”
Jade lays her head down on his chest as her wraps his arm around her. They just lay there together, listening to one another’s heart beats until they sound as though they beat as one. Their eyes close, they fall asleep.