Her Escape

Going Back

Mikey’s phone started ringing at eight thirty, waking only him and Jade up. Tired and confused she mutters.
“What is that...what time is it?”
Mikey who is used to getting little sleep looks over at her and smiles as she rubs her eyes and begins to roll back over to go back to sleep.
“That’s my alarm. Come on we have to get on the road soon, or we are going to get suck in traffic”
Jade rolls out of bed after him, half dead.
“Where’s the coffee?” she groans
Mikey pointing to the couch, “Sit I’ll get you some. I thought we would leave in ten and get breakfast on the way”
Jade still tired and her eyes not fully open. Smiles at the scent of the coffee and takes a sip.
“Yeah sounds good…but are we taking the bus?”
Mikey laughs as he pours himself coffee.
“No. I ordered a car for the trip. It’s outside.”
She takes another sip of her coffee and smiles brightly she was slowly waking up.
“Ok I’m going to go brush my teeth and stuff… do you have another t-shirt I can barrow I smell like a rotting ocean left in a dumpster”
Jade asked gradually getting louder and chuckling at her description as she walked in the bathroom. Mikey laughs and shakes his head. then walks into the bunks and emerges changed himself, and holding a rolling stones t-shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans and studded belt still I them. He gave the clothes to his girlfriend and put on his shoes as she changed.
“Come on we have to leave” he hollered playfully
Jade grabbed her converse and a pair of sun glasses and ran out the door, teas fully smiling at Mikey as she passed. Mikey followed her laughing

As she stepped off the bus she couldn’t believe the car he had gotten. He had gotten her favorite car that she had wanted since she was a small child. A black with red interior, olden Plymouth convertible. She had been looking for a car like this for years but could never find one in good enough condition. Mikey walked up behind her letting his hands rest on her waist.
“It’s amazing” she whispers
Jade turns around grasping Mikey’s hands in hers as she kisses him and then runs into the passenger seat of the car.
“So what is the music for this trip” she asks still smiling at the car.
Mikey pulls out a CD and places it in the player.
“This is a collection of old songs. From bands that I grew up with. The bands that made me want to play”
The smashing pumpkins came blaring through the speakers as they both screamed the lyrics as loud as they could.

Mikey turns the volume down to talk to Jade
“So where exactly on long island do you live?”
“Rocky Point, it’s a small town on the north shore” she answers in disgust. She hated where she was from. Or more so the years of her life it consumed.
“Isn’t that the school where there was a shooting a few years back?”
Jade looks down.
“Yeah, I was a senior that year. I lost two friends that day, they both died practically right in front of me. I knew the gunmen since third grade; he was one of the friends I lost. I tried to talk him out of killing himself but it was no use. I never thought he would resort to that.”
Mikey regretting that fact that he made her dig that up, put his arm around her and said softly.
“It’s ok. It’s over now. You’re ok. And you have me.”
Leaning into him and smiling she smiled.
“Yeah I have you”

About four hours into the trip it was twelve. Jade was getting hungry.
“Hey wanna stop for coffee and maybe a little something to eat?” she asked pointing to a small bagel shop on the right side of the road.
“Yeah sounds good” he answers pulling into the parking lot.
“What cha want I’ll go in?” Jade offered
Mikey thinks for a minute, “I’ll have an everything bagel, and a large coffee”
“Black” Jade cuts him off and laughs.
Mikey smiles and nods. She gets out of the car and walks towards the door.

Her sun glasses perched on top of her head holding her choppy hair back. Her tattoos of F-A-T-E and J-A-D-E on her knuckles, the lyrics around her wrists and the two winged hearts on either one of her shoulder blades, and of course that smile that could bring a man back to life. But it was more then her physical appearance, she was real, true and honest. She has seen hardship and is with him because she loves him. No other reason. She has been hurt and wasn’t looking for a fling or money. She knows exactly what she wants in life, and has an amazing mysterious personality that fascinated Mikey. She was skinny but not too skinny, still had a shape.

Jade looks out the window of the small shop to see Mikey sitting in the car pensively focused on her face. His think black rimmed glasses outlined his glowing green eyes that laminated in the suns gaze. He was everything she had been looking for. Slightly older, making something of himself, has similar interests in music and writing, someone that could understand who she was and the road that got her there. Someone that really cared and would, cheat on her, use her or just leave her. He could have almost any girl and she couldn’t understand why he choose her. With his thin framed body, tight black backs, a Nightmare before Christmas belt, a smashing pumpkins t-shirt, his light brown hair long and straight to the side on his face. She felt safe and faithful with him. He was able to relieve the burden of her past just by looking at her and smiling.

Leaving the bagel shop holding a large brown bag and two coffees she used her butt to push open the door. Mikey stretched across the car to open her door for her.
“What did you buy the whole store?” Mikey joked.
“Haha no I just thought I would get some stuff for the road too.”
“Ok, let’s see what cha got”
Jade put the coffees in the cup holders and opened the brown bag. Reaching in and pulling out two bagels
“This ones for you” she said handing him one of the bagels.
While putting the other on her lap.
“The rest is for later”
She laughed as Mikey’s face quickly turned confused as she started closing the bag, and put in on the floor in the back seat. Mikey laughed and began to eat his bagel.
“What did you get?” he asked looking at her bagel.
“I got a plain bagel, with chicken salad. What a bite?”
“Yes, please” Mikey said cutely.
Jade moved the bagel towards Mikey’s face he goes to hold it but she pulls away.
“Eh-uh”
Mikey laughs and lets Jade feed him
“Mmm that’s good” he compliments
“That’s exactly why I wouldn’t let you hold it”
Jade laughs and takes a bite of her bagel.
“Ok wee better get back on the road” he suggests
“Yeah, what state are we in anyways?”
“Maryland. About three hours till your home.” He says with a smile and sense of accomplishment.
“Ok. I’m going to make a phone call really quick” Jade says uneasy.
“Yeah go ahead.”
“I just want to see a few friends before I go to the UK. You don’t mind if we go out tonight do you?”
“Yeah that’s fine. I want to meet your friends”

At the relief of his comfort and enthusiasm she smiles and takes out her side kick, dialing the phone and putting it to her ear.
“Hey Bri…Yeah I know I miss you too…I didn’t mean to scare you…yeah no I’m fine…I’m actually on my way home right now to pick up some clothes…no, no I’m only staying the night…they invited me on tour with them…and the UK…Yeah call Joe, Kerri, Steve, Nick, James, Ian, and Briana…yeah fine and Carl…just them we will go to the dinner and then hang at my house while I pack cause I’m leaving early in the morning…ok see you in a few hours…bye bye.”

Jade turns to Mikey.
“Sorry I kind of put you up to meeting people and going out tonight. It’s just going to be a dinner and then back to my house…I promise.”
She seems uneasy as she drinks her coffee.
“Yeah, no I can’t wait”
He pulls her in and kissed her forehead then returning his concentration on the road.
She smiles “Thanks”

After three more hours of driving they pull into Jade’s drive way. It’s a three bedroom ranch, tan siding, and a bay window in the front, and cars parked in the street.
“So this is where you grew up…” Mikey asked, looking the house over.
“Yup, Wait till you see my room” she laughs slightly and gets out of the car.
She meets Mikey at his door grabs his hand and they walk up together. She stops at the door way.
“Just to warn you my little brother is an asshole and a jock, and my moms probably drunk or at work” she seems scared to walk through the door.
Mikey kissed her, and opened the door.

And their her friends were sitting on the couch.
“Hey guys” she as she walks in.
Everyone stood up.
“Hey your brother involuntarily let us in before he left. Jade I have to tell you something” Brianna said.
Jade walked over and gave her a hug.
“So what do you want to do tonight? Since your only here one night and then your leaving us again.” Joe said giving Brianna a death stare.
“Everyone this is my boyfriend Mikey. I was thinking we could go to the dinner and then back here and hang out in the back and get beer, chasing clouds like old times. But I have to pack and take a shower. So regroup here at about 7?”
“Ok.” everyone agrees and starts to leave.
“Jay no I really need to talk to you” Brianna attempts to speak
Joe takes Brianna by the arm and drags her out of the house.
“Why are you going to tell her now? Let her have fun before you crush he like that.” Joe consciously says sternly at Brianna outside.
“She is going to find out sooner or later when her mom doesn’t come home tonight. And you just jealous cause she’s with Mikey. You always loved her but never had the guts to tell her.”
“Screw you Bri”
They got in separate cars and drove off.

Once they were gone Mikey turned to Jade.
“So what’s with that kid Joe?” he asks protectively
“Nothing what do you mean?” she seems confused
“Never mind it doesn’t matter. So lets see that room of yours” he changes the subject.
“Haha, ok. but you have to promise not to freak out. I started it a while ago”
Jade starts to walk towards a clothed door.
“I promise I won’t freak out.” Mikey said laughing.

She turns the door handle and pushes the door open. Flips the light switch and he walks into a room with purple walls, not that you could tell because they would covered with pictures and posters. Her room was bordered with papers that held pictures, quotes, and poems carefully drawn out on them. She had a big king size bed with black sheets and deep purple comforter, still unmade from the morning of Bamboozle. There were still towels and dirty clothes scattered across the floor. Her closet door was gently propped up against the opening with a hole in the center. Her window was dressed with a black sheet of fabric. Her carpet was purple as well with various stains in many spots. Her mirror was dirty with quotes and reminders written in dry-erase marker. There was a pile of comic books on one side of her dresser and a pile of school books on the other. A vanity in the corner then a huge stereo placed upon it, with stacks of CDs on and below it. The walls covered in paper, magazine clippings, posters, pictures, stickers, juice bottles labels, candy rappers, tickets from movies and venues, CD covers and notes. It was if she took everything she was, everything she wanted to be, everything she loved about the world and threw it on her walls. Where everyone and anyone could see it if they only took the time.

“So what cha think?” she asked her voice shaking and fearful.
“It’s amazing. I absolutely love it. You show so much of yourself, so openly.” He smiled still admiring the walls
“Yeah well I spent many week ends and vacations in this room. I was surprised it was all still here when I came home from collage”