Her Escape

She's Gone. Am I Supposed to Cry?

She walks over to her dresser and grabs some clothes.
“I’m going to go take a shower. You make yourself at home”
Mikey stayed in her room studding every last piece of paper she had pasted on her walls. When he got to the walls that were devoted to him and his band he froze for a minute. Then looking at the various moments and memories captured on the walls he began to laugh to himself. The he saw a poster on the wall, one that she had made. It was titled “Label Me I Dare You”. He read it out loud admiring the concept and the truth in the statement she was making.

Jade walks back into the room. Her hair up in a towel, in a pair of jeans, a knee length black dress, and mismatching socks.
“Hey what cha looking at?” she asked taking the towel off her head.
“When did you make this?” he asks pointing to the poster on the wall.
“Oh that I did it freshmen year of high school. I did it for extra credit…I think why?”
Jade answers, playing with her hair in the mirror.
“Just wondering, I like it” Mikey finally looks away from the poster.
“Hey look at you in a little dress. You mind if I take a quick shower?” Mikey asked as he walked up behind her in the mirror and settled his body into hers, wrapping his arms around her waist. She loved to be able to feel him holding on to her. It made her feel safe and like she wasn’t alone. Jade tilts her head and kisses him.
“No, not at all go ahead. Towels are in the wooden closet thing.”
“Ok. Thanks I have a change of clothes in the car can you grab them for me?”
“Sure, hun no problem”

As Mikey walks out of the room, Jade puts on make-up. Something she hasn’t been wearing much of for the last two days. Then she walked outside to the car and reaches into the back seat to grab the clothes. Then notices all the brown bag filled with all the garbage from the trip and grabs that too. As she walked to throw the bag in the black garbage can placed by the street her neighbor waved. He was an older man in his late 40’s. Had a daughter a year younger then Jade but they were always very different from each other.
“Hey back in town?” he asked
“Yeah only for the night”
“I’m sorry to hear about your mom”
Her face tightened “What do you mean. I thought she was at work”
The man walked closer and Jade meet him half way.
“No one told you. Oh dear I shouldn’t be the one to tell you this. Your mom died yesterday. She was brought to the hospital the day you left for that concert thingy. I figured that’s why you came back to town. I mean you and your mom haven’t always seen eye to eye but…”

Jade just turned and walked away. She wasn’t crying but she had a look of pure fear and regret stamped across her forehead. Mikey had just gotten out of the shower when she staggered through the front door. He knew at once something was terribly wrong.
“What’s the matter babe?” he asked as he walked toward her taking her in his arms.
Jade dropped the clothes and just held him.
“It’s my mom. She was in the hospital. That’s why she never came to see my in jersey. She was dieing in the hospital. She’s gone.”
“I’m so sorry” was all he could come up with to say.

Jade let go of Mikey, walked into her room and began to pack for the tour.
“Are you sure you still want to go? I mean it’s ok. I could even stay with for a while if you want. They can get a replacement”.
Mikey put his hand on her back to try and calm her down.
“No, I have to get out of here. It’ better if I go. We never really were that close anyway. I’ve always hated this place and now there is nothing left here for me”
Mikey helped her pack and load the car. Soon it was seven and Jade’s friends were showing up. Brianna came early and pulled her aside.
“Listen I have something to tell you. I’m really sorry but...”
“I know Bri. It’s my mom right…she’s gone.”
“Oh babe, who told you? I’m so sorry are you ok?”
“Yeah I’m fine I just want to pretend like it never happened”
“Ok we can do that.”

They walked back into the room where all her friends where introducing themselves to Mikey.
“Everyone ready to go?” Jade asks.
“Yeah let’s go?” Mikey gets up off the couch and walks over putting his arm around Jade. “We can take two other people with us.”
“Brianna and Joe, You come with us” Jade said walking out
“Last person lock the door and take the key” she continued

After a dinner at the dinner and then everyone coming back to Jade’s house, drinking beer and playing the ageless game off chasing the clouds. It was only Mikey and Jade. Jade was busy going over mental check lists while Mikey was lying in bed already. After ten minutes of checking her notebooks, laptop, clothes, cosmetics, shoes, shampoo, soap, face wash est. she finally climbed into bed next to Mikey.
Mikey pulled her in close kissing her ever so gently. She laid her head on his chest and just listened to his heart beat.
“Thank you for being here today.” She said as his arms settled themselves around her body.
“I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else” he replied
“Night”
“Night”