Her Escape

Back to a Place I Belong

The alarm went off at seven. Scaring Mikey and causing him to jump. He quickly shut it off and slid out of bed trying not to wake jade. Walking into the kitchen, he was looking for coffee. She had a Tasimo. It was one of those fancy put a little disk in and you get a cup of coffee type thing. He was having trouble figuring I out. Then there was a soft voice from behind him.
“Here let me help you.” She laughed and made two cups of coffee.
Mikey was amazed.
“Hey ready to go we have to meet the guy and start driving to New Orleans this afternoon.
“Yeah give me five minutes. Then we can go”
“Ok meet you in the car”

She quickly changed her clothes, grabbed a few notebooks, folders, a sweatshirt, her purse, her pillow with a Winni the Phooh pillow case, put on eyeliner, fixed her sun glasses and walked out the door. She checked herself in the cosmetic mirror of the car as they drove off.

Once off the island they stopped for bagels on the Jersey Turnpike. After about ten minutes he came out with two plain bagels with chicken salad, 2 everything bagels with cream cheese, 2 large coffees and 4 red bulls. Jade was attentive at the sight of coffee and laughed as Mikey handed her one of the plain bagels and took the other for himself. Once on the road again jade took out one of the notebooks she had grabbed earlier that morning. Opened up to a page in the middle and began reading to herself. Mikey looked over.
“What cha got there?”

Jade is slightly startled and looks like she is debating in her head weather she should tell him or not.
“There my journals, I have ones dating back to the eighth grade. This on is from senior year. And this is my current one.” She says picking up another notebook.
Mikey smiles and thinks out loud.
“Well I bet you have some good stories to write in there about the last few days”
Jade smiles and grows more comfortable at the fact that he didn’t ask to read them. She reaches down again for another notebook and a folder.
“This is my current poem notebook and a folder with a few short stories and a few novels length books that I have written over the years.”
Mikey is amazed at her level of commitment to her writing and has to ask.
“Ever gotten anything published?”
“Kind of, I remember I entered one of my poems into a school writing contest in the middle school and won. They put it in a little book thing. But I guess I stopped trying after that” Jade looked down at her feet almost as if she had let herself down. Mikey sees the look of defeat on her face.
“Well if you wouldn’t mind I would love to read some of your work”
“Yeah sure when ever you want.” Jade’s smile returns to her face as she realizes his interest.

They continued driving south. At around eleven thirty mikey asks Jade.
“Hey can you reach back and get me a bagel and a red bull?”
“Yeah sure one second”
Jade reaches back and grabs two bagels, gives one to mikey and places the other on her lap. Then she reaches back again for two red bulls.
“So about how much longer?” Jade wonders.
“Eh, about an hour or so. I told the guys to meet us in D.C”
“Ok cool I’m going to take a quick nap then”

Jade drifts off to sleep while Mikey continues driving. They hit the out skirts of D.C and get stuck in traffic. So he lets Jade sleep until they pull into the shopping center where the bus and the guys are waiting for them.

When Mikey pulled up behind the store, Jade awoke to Frankie singing in her ear. All the guys helped bring her stuff on the bus as and unpack it all. As she walked towards the bus she noticed they had named it fate like the tattoo she had on her right knuckles.
“You guys named the bus fate…” Jade says warmly
“It was Mikey’s idea” Bob said as he walked by.
“You like it?” Mikey asked
“Are you kidding I love it!” Jade exclaimed.
Jade walked over and kissed Mikey who was putting up the hood on the car. In the exact moment that their lips touched the sky opened up and it began to pour. Lighting lit the sky like blue fire. Followed by a earth quaking thunder. This didn’t seem to faze them. After Jade breaks off, kisses him once more she opens her eyes and begins to dance in the rain. Twirling around with her head to the sky.
“What are you doing?” Mikey asks
“Dancing”
Jade grabs his wrist and drags him with her.
“Come on dance with me” she begged
“There’s no music”
“That’s never stopped me before.” Jade utters with a hidden smile
Mikey finally gives in wrapping his arms around her waist as she places her arms are his neck. Leaning her head against his shoulder. They begin to slow dance in the rain. Finally Gerard comes off the bus.
“Come on you two we have to leave”
Mikey takes her hand as they walk onto the bus. Ray throws two towels at mikey who puts one around Jade’s shoulder and the other around his. Garry takes off the second they close the door. Laughing and freezing cold they walk to the couch to watch Dawn of the Dead. Huddled close together for warmth laughing there way through the zombie movie. Soon the rest of the guys joined them.

Garry called to the back of the bus.
“Hey Brian you want to take over? And guys you should really get some sleep”
Mikey looks as Brain who is nearly falling asleep.
“I’ll drive”
“I’ll stay up and keep you company” Jade said with smiling eyes.