Her Escape

I'm Her Boyfriend

Mikey sat on the couch holding Jade's hand while Bob held a towel on her stab wound to slow the bleeding. Mikey put his iPod buds in her ears and played his favorite songs. It was the only way he knew how to help. He was crushed at the sight of her in pain -- her body in cold sweats and turning paler by the minute.

In the front of the bus Gerard and Ray were trying to convince Frank to either slow down or let someone else drive. He still hadn’t spoken a word to anyone. They were worried about him too.

“Are you sure you should be driving?” Gerard asked, concerned.

“What happened?” Ray wondered out loud.

Finally Frank spoke behind clamped teeth, not taking his eyes off the road.

“She saved me life. She saved me life.”

He swerveed to avoid knocking an elderly couple off the road. Everyone on the bus grabbed something to keep their balance.

They reached the hospital and there were doctors waiting, Gerard had called ahead on his cell phone when he saw the condition Jade was in. Bob picked her up to carry her off the bus, Mikey still holding her hand walked awkwardly with them. As Bob placed her on a gurney a doctor turned to Mikey.

“You have to let go now.”

Letting go of her hand, Mikey and the rest of the guys watched as she was rolled down a long white hallway. Doctors yelling commands over her, as she breathed through an oxygen mask. Frankie turned to the guys.

“I won’t leave her here like this. I’m staying.”

“Me too,” Mikey stated.

No one really understood why this meant so much to Mikey. Gary, their tour managerm walked back on the bus.

“Okay, I’ll cancel tomorrow’s show.”

The six guys walked into the waiting room and sat nervously. After half an hour Gerard finally asked Frankie.

“Frank what happen? Why was she stabbed?”

Frankie didn’t want to talk about the experience that was so fresh in his mind. He had grown up in a difficult crime-ridden area in Jersey but had never had a gun put to him. Nor had he ever had someone fight for his life like she had.

“I don't know how he got her. He had a gun to her head. He must have stabbed her leg so she couldn’t run away. When I tried to reason with him he pointed the gun at me. She couldn’t breathe. She tried to ask me to save her. He told me to leave but I refused. So he was going to shoot me. He had his finger on the trigger. There was no hesitation in his eyes. 'Til Jade's adrenaline took over and she was able to beat him to the ground. it was amazing. She saved my life.”

Everybody was silent. Frankie looked down at his shoes and continued to talk.
“There was something about her eyes. When he had the gun to her head, they were desperate and a fading grey, almost as if she was giving up. But when that bastard pointed the gun at my head, they were like... streaming circles of exploding crystal blue fire. She would have given her life for mine if it came to that. I could see it in her eyes”

After to hours of waiting an intern finally came out.

“Are you with Jade Sieghtzinger?”

Frankie stood up at once. In a concerned, almost scared, voice he spoke.

“Yes. Is she okay?”

“Is she family?” the intern asked.

Frankie hesitated. Mikey stood up beside him.

“I’m her boyfriend.”

“In that case, yes she is. She had lost a lot of blood we had to give her a transfusion and sew up the stab wound but in few hours she should be ready to walk again.”

“Can we see her?” Mikey asked.

“Only you for now. She's still recovering.”

“Okay....” Mikey said hesitantly as he followed the intern to Jade's room, glancing an apology to Frank.