Sequel: Streets

Mont Blanc

Chapter Two

*flashback*

I squealed as I ran as fast as my seven year old legs would go as I chased the boy with the water gun. It was the middle of august and me and my best friend Brian were at the park having a huge water fight. He ran into the lake and splashed me with the clear water. I ran in after him and began swimming, I could hear our parents upon the grass, my mom and his mom attempting to get a tan and our dads talking about the latest baseball game.

“Bri, stop running away!” I yelled as we both reached the other side of the lake. I saw him crouch down near something and speak softly. I dragged my now soaking self up onto the grass and placed the green water gun on the mud and crawled over to him. “What are you looking at?” I asked, he moved out of the way to show a little duckling, covered in soft yellow and brown feathers.

“It hasn’t got a mommy.” he said

“We can look after it.” I answered.

“Lets call it George.” he smiled

“Why George.”

“Because you don’t have many duckies called George, so this ones different to the rest.”

“Oh.” I smiled

“We wont ever not be friends.” he said, not making much sense

“Bestest friends forever” I said smiling.

“Yep, even when we are a million years old and old and wrinkly.”

“And the world is on the moon.” I laughed

“Yeah, and we will still be best friends.”

*End Flashback*


“For fucks sake.” I said as I turned away. Why God, why? Of all the people on the planet to go to Italy today, why him.

“Zachary, language.” I heard my mom say from in front of me.

“Yes, Zachary.” Brian sneered

“Cant you go and swap with your mom or something?” I asked

“No, I like it here.” he said leaning back in the blue leather seat he was sitting in. I saw the seatbelt sign flick into action and all the lights dim as the plane slowly move across the runway. “Are you okay?” he asked

“Yeah, of course I am.” I lied

“No your not, you look like a ghost.”

“How can you see anyway, its like eleven at night and its dark.”

“Reading light dumbass.”

“Shut the fuck up, asshole.” I said turning away.

“You don’t like flying do you?” he asked

“You know I don’t.” I said not looking at him

“Why do you hate me?” he asked

“What. Why do I hate you? Because you’re an asshole. We were best friends for ten years and I went away for a month and come back to find you doing pot and completely ignoring me.” I practically yelled

“I cant even remember.” he said laughing

“You have made my life hell, I was so looking forward to this holiday to get away from you and here you are. Can I not go anywhere without you being there with your sly remarks?” I asked

“Its not my fault, my parents made me come along.”

“Yeah, and you said yes because then you get to do your own thing, fuck everyone over like you usually do.” I said.

“I’m sorry. Its not like I don’t still like you. Its not my fault you don’t like my friends.”

“What friends, they use you because they know you can get weed.” I said. I felt the plane stop, meaning it was ready to take off in a few minutes.

“I don’t do that shit anymore.” he said sadly

“Remember that day in the park when we were younger,” I said “And you found that duck.” he nodded

“We said we would be best friends forever.” he muttered. I reached down and pulled my backpack up onto my lap from the floor and pulled out a book. It was a photo album of us when we were younger. “You still have that?” he asked reading the scribble that we once wrote on the cover.

“Yes” I said opening it up.

I flicked through the photos. Birthdays, Christmases, Holidays, days out, until I came across what I was looking for. A photo of me and Brian sat on the grass in our swim trunks, with George in our hands.

“Ha, George the duck.” he laughed as I put the rest of the photos back and replaced the backpack by my feet.

“Yeah.” I nodded.

I felt the plane jerk into action as it increased in speed down the runway at a billion miles an hour. My hands began to shake on the arm rests and my eyes shut tight. I felt the plane begin to tilt upward and I felt someone’s left hand grip my right.