Sequel: Untitled Two

Untitled

Chapter Four

I arrived at the office the following day. To find everyone staring at me as though I had sworn at them. They slammed their doors onto the corridor and I walked into my office following suit. I slowly lowered myself down into my chair in front of the desk.

I’d had grudges since the first day at this office. Most of them were just jealous, as the parents said. It was simply because they had to work their socks off to get into this business which is already over saturated anyway, and I seemed to just sail in through the door one day having already been made a new desk and computer to just have. All because I’d done a small weather report for the news team at the Lincolnshire Show when Paul Hudson was sick, then they gave me a pamphlet about careers at the BBC and said that they’d be in touch. I’d been given two MacBooks and they had given me nothing to do for my first week.

Yeah, way to start a jealously war between the others in the office.

It was then that Mark arrived.
“Can I have a word?”
“Yeah sure.”
“In my office.”
There was a pause, hopefully this wouldn’t be sex.
“OK.”
I went in after him and closed the door.
“Richard, your reports about the country today are stunning.”
Oh God, he’s coming onto me.
“And I really admire your work.”
“Thank you.” I squeaked.
He was going to get out his cock wasn’t he? He was married with two daughters, but still. Anything could happen, to anyone.
“So I was wondering,”
‘If you will bum me’, I finished the sentence in my head.
“What on earth are you going to do for next month?” He finished.
Relief filled my head.
“I don’t know.” I realised this wasn’t a good thing to say to him, he was already raising one eyebrow. “I mean, I know, but it’s secret.”
“OK, you may leave.”
Thank god that was over.
“Although you won’t be able to see my – ”
I had already closed the door. I did not want to hear what he was going to say. At all. Ever.

Mark was disappointed, he had only wanted to show Richard his brand new 20 inch office TV he’d bought for himself.

I ran back to my office, closed the venetians on the door and stood at the huge floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city.