The Secret

Chapter 2

I ran through the main entrance to the mall. I looked around for Carmine, finding him at a magazine stand. I walked over to him “Hey, sorry I’m late. I fell asleep and then mom insisted…” I stammered. I sounded a little out of breath.
“No problem. I just got here.” he said. He’s probably just trying to make me feel better.
“So…you wanted me to meet you here?” Once again, my attempt to sound calm was a failure.
“Yeah. I just thought we could hang out, without the pressures school. You know, get to know each other.”
“Sounds good! But what do you say we head over to the food court first. I’m starved!”
Mmm…food sounds good. I ran, letting Carmine catch up, to the other end of the mall and up a flight of escalators. The food court smelled better than ever. I stood there, contemplating the many choices. Carmine seemed like he already knew what he wanted and went over to the SubWay. I headed over to New York Fries.
We weren’t sitting down for 5 minutes when I heard a squeal coming towards us. I looked around, then sighed and said: “Cee, what are you doing here?”
This time, it was the squealer that spoke: “Bear, have you forgotten? I practically live at the mall!” Her voice…it’s just so…irritating!
I turned in my seat. “Carmine, this is Claudelle Samson.”
“We’ve known each other since the 5th grade, so we have quite the history.”
Carmine’s face lit up with what seemed to be recognition. “Hey! Aren’t you the girl who skinned her neighbors’ cat because their entire family wore animal furs?”
“Yeah, that’s me! How did you know? I thought only the locals knew about that…”
“Yeah, well…news travels, you know?” he replied quickly.
*****
We chatted with Claudelle for a while. Once she left, we finished up in the food court and headed into the main shopping area. We went in I don’t know how many stores, and tried on pretty much everything and anything. Carmine didn’t buy anything, although I ended up purchasing a couple new belts and a pair of skinny jeans.
Our last stop was this really cool, jewellery store where everything was handcrafted. I went looking at some rings. That’s when I saw it. It was amazing. The center was a big black stone, and all around it were pink and white mini-stones. I was in love.
“I can’t afford this…” I said with a sigh of disappointment. “But…I’m sure I’d never wear it, anyway…” I headed out the door, discouraged. Carmine started to follow, then stopped and turned around. “I’ll be right back…” he said over his shoulder and walked off. I could have sworn I heard him say something to the man behind the counter of the store we had just left.
*****
Five minutes later, he was by my side, a smug grin spread across his gorgeous face.
“How about I walk you home?” he suggested.
“Um…sure…if you want…”
“Great! Let’s go!” he grabbed my arm and dragged me through the doors. I couldn’t help but laugh. This guy really knew how to cheer a girl up.

The walk back to my house was fairly long, and by the time we got there, it was nearing11:00 pm. But we talked the entire time, our hands intertwined, never letting go. We walked as far as my insanely long drive way and we said our goodbyes. I walked to my front door, my head in the non-existing clouds. I turned around for one last look at my Prince Charmin, but he was gone.
*****
I walked through the front door and skipped up to my room. I’m sure I looked like a total retard, but I didn’t care. I ran into my room, spun around and fell on my bed with a goofy grin plastered on my face.
I stayed like that most of the night. I finally lifted my pathetic self up and looked at my clock. 1:24 am. I wasn’t tired in the least, so I picked up a notebook and started writing. Without thinking, I wrote mine and Carmine’s names all over the page. Then I started writing “Rebecca Duchesne” everywhere.
I wrote those names over and over again. Time passed quickly, and before I knew it, the sun was peaking up over the horizon. I picked myself off my bed and started my morning routine (well…routine when I don’t sleep in). 15 minute shower, get dressed, put on make-up, followed by a gourmet breakfast of chocolate s’more Poptarts.
I walked around the house, looking for I don’t know what. When I finished my pop tart, I went back to my bathroom to brush my teeth. Ah crap. Out of tooth paste. This must be an omen…