The Black parade

Mama Part 2

I slid down the steep hill, my bare feet sinking knee deep in the mud. I struggled to free myself, pulling and tugging urgently to equalize the suction. I stumbled, fell, got back to my feet, and fell again. My once white hospital gown, was now grayish brown. The IV trailed behind me, amazingly not once snagging on rocks or muddy heaps.

I somehow made to him, his head down in the mud, cowering from every explosion and gunshot. I crawled over to him, sliding around in the mud like a salamander. I put my hand on his shoulder, he raised his head with a start, staring me dead in the eye with unhampered fear.

"Oh God, I don't wanna die! Not here! I have a family to get home to!" He shrieked, his voice shrill over the cacophony all around us.

I nodded, "Sit tight,help is on the way!"

He looked away and laughed hysterically, "Don't be daft you idiot! There is no help here! We're damned after all! There is no help! There is no helping me or you! We must return from the ashes-"

Before he could finish scolding me, a mortar shell landed on us.

I was sent flying back at least 10 feet from the man, my limbs felt broken and torn, my skin felt as though it were burning! I cried out in pain, my eyes tightly squeezed shut.

It was his screams that made me regain my senses. I looked at myself, aside from being covered in mud and...blood..I was alive and whole.
I slowly got to my feet, and hobbled over to the man.

I couldn't make much out of him, since he was turned away and covered in mud. When I rolled him over, he screamed in agony. His legs were blown off, and only remained attached by a few scant scraps of muscle.
His screams mixed in with the others, the bombs, the machine guns, and the sudden call of "Gas!".

"Gas?!" I exclaimed, not really expecting an answer from anyone.

Suddenly yellow clouds of smoke plumed around us, the wind picking up the acrid smelling fumes and wafting them to us. I coughed and gagged, blood spilling out of my nose and mouth. My eyes burned and watery blood trickled from my tear ducts.

I tried to scream, but my voice came out as a goose like honk.

"They're killing us boy!!" the soldier screamed, before coughing and succumbing to the gas.

I crawled over to him, hoping to assuage his anguish..but he pushed me away.

"Mother! What this war has done! TO my legs! To my tongue! Maybe you should have raised a baby girl instead! Or maybe I should have been a better son!!" he screamed/croaked/honked.

"If you could cuddle the infection...*cough* make them *gag* amputate at on-*coughs up a mouthful of blood* at once...you should have been...*choke* I could have been a better son!"

I tried to calm him down, but he kept pushing me away.

"MAMA! MAMA! MAAAAMMMMAAAA!" he screamed.

I had to cover my ears..it was horrible...

Then..she appeared...