The Black parade

Teenagers Part 1

"How long have you been here, doing this Virgil?"

He shrugged, too busy trying to calm down the brass section of the parade. One of the trumpeters had tripped and brought down the entire section, so order had to be restored.

"No one keeps track here my boy! What is time in hell, but an eternity?!" He finally replied, giving one last check, before turning to the front to face me.

"But how many souls have you guided? I mean, you said those who don't make it, join your ranks. Just how many people have actually made it to heaven?" I pressed onward.

I knew it made him uncomfortable, he always turned away from me, so I couldn't' see his face. Even in hell, hell spawn retained some of their human emotions.

"Too many my boy, too many to count or care about! Now, onward! Much to do and see and feel right?!" He shouted, pushing past me and taking his position at the head of the parade.

He blew his rusty whistle, calling the parade to attention, and with that, the music started back up and we began the march.

I didn't like it when Virgil ignored me and my questions. I didn't like the fact that the parade was a huge parade, not just an ensemble. It scared me about my chances to find redemption.

"Virgil, do you think I'll make it to the great beyond?"

As always, he didn't face me when he answered, "Who knows my boy? That is entirely up to you and your performance during your time with us! I can only hope that you reach your goal and find resolution to deaths unholy question."

"What question?"

"Why, the question of happiness after despair, forgiveness after sin, the light after the dark!"

Honestly, I felt I didn't deserve any of that. From who and what I was, I felt I didn't have the right to anything ever again.

"Be steady and strong young master! We enter the halls of hate! Violent crimes and actions take place there, take heed and do not interfere! DO YOU UNDERSTAND, DO NOT INTERFERE!" Virgil shouted at me over his shoulder.

"I understand!"

We passed under an overpass, and entered into a dark shadowy long hall, unlike the columns of the Roman coliseum. Bodies were sprawled about, people screaming in agony and suffering.

"Just what is going on? I exclaimed in disgust.

"Murderers, killers, bigots, racists, psychos, anyone who has homicidal tendencies come here to kill and kill, but never be satisfied." Virgil explained, directing the band to play louder to muffle the screams.

It was a deafening sound! The screams, the sound of bones cracking, the crying. The ground slick with blood. But over the screams, I heard a familiar sound.

"You tried to clean up my looks!"

That voice...

"Just lies...and useless self help books! Trying to make a model citizen out of me!"

Was it...?

"Hypocrites! Sleeping with guns! What, so you can keep an eye on your daughters and sons?"

I knew it!

"Just watching all the things that we do! Day in and day out! I'll kill all of you!"

It was my brother...it had to be.

Disobeying Virgil's orders, I ran towards the direction of the shouting.

"STOP! STAY CLOSE!" Virgil shouted after me, but I ignored him.

What was my brother doing here in hell? Was it another Mother War plot? A trial? Or just shitty luck?

I made a turn at a corner, dodging a falling body that smashed into the pavement, covering my pale feet with red.

"Matthew?!" I shouted.

A man came running past me screaming, "Oh God! He's going to kill us all! Teenagers scare the living shit out of me! Oh God, they scare me!"

I watched him frantically stumble off into the distance, confused.

I decided to walk from wence the man had came, maybe I'd find my brother.

"COME BACK YOUNG MASTER!" I heard Virgil's voice echo amongst the halls and pillars.

Even if I had wanted to go back to the parade, I was lost!

"You all, all of you! You could care less as long as someone will bleed! Well, I'm here to oblige you mother fuckers!" My brother screamed, followed by gunfire.

I picked up my pace, bobbing in and out of the frightened people rushing past me.

I turned a corner just in time to see my brother execute a girl on her knees crying.

Mortified, I rushed at him, but halted my advance when he turned and drew the gun on me....