The Black parade

This is how I disappear

As we continued the march, the bloody gurneys and the moaning dead joined the long column that was quickly growing behind me and Virgil. The moans of the dead and dying mixed in with the music being played, a haunting dirge that sent chills down my spine.

"We shall meet with someone special! Someone very special and dear to you! Yes indeed, a fine visitation if I might add!" Virgil said in his sing song cheerful voice.

I rolled my eyes, which caused me to get light headed and stumble.

"Dizzy? I'm not surprised! Just because you are dead, doesn't mean you are cured of your cancer! Whatever illness or injury you received while alive or dying, stays with you here! Wonderful yes?"

I coughed, spitting out a sticky red gob of dark brownish blood.

"What?!" I protested, staring hard at the nasty looking product of my cough.

"Oh that! You'll get used to that soon enough! When one dies, their blood coagulates, not unlike paste or glue! Even your body will deteriorate while here, but don't worry, you can still talk, walk, and think for the most part! Isn't hell just wonderful?" Virgil chided with a wide sweep of the baton, the band picking up the tempo.
We continued down the dusty road, passing more fragments of humanity, burnt out shells of what I assumed were once living people. They would shuffle along blindly, but when we passed them, their eyes would widen and light up, a smile crossing their vacant faces. Then they'd fall into formation wherever they could in the column. Anyone and everyone we passed, would join the black parade. Was all of this just for me? What made me so special?

Soon the Grey sky started to darken. It became so dark, that I couldn't even see the parade behind me and Virgil, I could only hear the music, which soon quieted down to a low murmur.

"What's going on?" I asked, turning to Virgil.

"Shh...we're here. Take a few steps forward, then turn to face me, count to 13, then turn back around!" Virgil explained in a hushed voice.

I did as I was told, and took 4 steps forward, turned to face Virgil. He wasn't there, he was nowhere to be seen! I turned back around after counting to 13, and out of the darkness came a figure. I soon noticed it was a young woman. She was dressed in a dark purple dress, her hair pulled back in a loose ponytail. A beam of bright light shone down from the sky, illuminating a spotlight for her. She walked over to the spotlight and went to sit down. Out of the darkness came a gaggle of bony arms, that placed a chair for her to sit down on as she took her place. I gawked at her, it was Grace! What was she doing here in hell? Was she dead too?

"Go on lad! Talk to her! Just know that she can't talk to you, or actually hear you, nor does she know you exist anymore!" I heard Virgil say somewhere in the gloom.

"What's the whole point of that than?! Why should I talk to a wall?!" I demanded angrily.

"Just get what is on your mind out in the open eh? I'm sure there is a lot of things you wanted to tell her, but you need to tell her that this is how you disappear! Tell her now! Just drain all the blood and give the kids a show!"

I quietly walked over to the quiet and still woman seated before me. I circled her slowly, not sure if this was real or not.

"Get on with it man! We don't have all bloody day here! Time flies when you're dead and in hell!" Virgil shouted at me.

I nodded and turned to face Grace.

"Grace...I...I" I took a breath, calmed myself, and started over.

"Grace, I want you to know that without you...is how I disappear. There's things that I have done, you never...Should ever know." my voice felt small and dull.

I continued, slowly circling her, "Without you, I lived my life alone, painfully alone. I pushed you and my family away, I wasn't fair to you guys. If only..if only you could talk to me, just tell me if it's so, that all good people go to heaven." I started to cry.

I covered my face in my hands, anger and frustration, watching her sitting their, looking blankly, not even acknowledging me!

"Damn it! Can you hear me cry out to you?! These words I thought I'd choke on, why don't you figure out?!
I'm really not with you any more! I'm just a ghost, so I can't hurt you anymore!" I screamed at her face-to-face.

"So I can't hurt you anymore..."

Grace sighed, covered her mouth to stifle a yawn. She reclined back in her chair, looking around lazily.

Anger burned inside of me, I turned to face the darkness where Virgil was hiding, screaming, "And now you wanna see how far down I can sink? Let me out! You can!
Well now you can!"

Virgil didn't respond, it was just me and Grace, so I turned back to face her complacent form.

"I'm so far away from you, you're killing an already dead man. You wanted me to disappear, well now I am gone, forever now."

I turned away from her, unable to face her anymore. The bright light in they sky dimmed, Grace faded away into the darkness, and the ravaged scenery of hell slowly came back. Virgil stood there, tall and stoic in front of his congregation. He stared hard at me, his lips pinched in a tight smile. I slowly walked back to him, my head hanging heavily.

Not another word was said as Virgil struck up the band again to a slow tune, as we continued marching. I didn't look at Virgil, but I could feel his icy stare on me, but he didn't say anything.

After what seemed like hours of marching, we came to a halt. I wearily lifted my head to see why we had stopped.

Virgil gave me a hard shove forward, "Look there! He's been waiting for you!"

I stared hard at a white speck walking through the dark murkiness of hell.

"Who is that?" I asked, straining my eyes.

"Go and see for yourself. " Virgil said, giving me another hard shove, "You'll soon learn that the sharpest lives are the deadliest to lead."