The Black parade

Welcome to the black parade Part 1

Although there wasn't any sunlight, I could make out the silhouettes of tall buildings in the distance.

"Is that where we're headed?" I asked Virgil, pointing at the dark onyx like pillars.

"That is correct! We are heading to the Necropolis, to meet your father. I'm sure you two will have a lot to talk about." Virgil said, leading the way with a skip in his step.

I looked behind us to watch the swelling ranks of the parade. We had now attracted strange hooded bear-like creatures, who sang in a deep alto tone. One caught me staring at it, and licked it's lips, it's white teeth glinting at me. I quickly turned my gaze back to the front.

It wasn't long before we entered the great city Necropolis. The tall buildings surrounded us, everyone was dressed in either red or black, people and creatures of various types crowded the streets, slowing the march down. Virgil kept patient, keeping the parade at a "Mark time" pace, then moving us out when the area cleared. More than one spectator whispered to another, who then whispered to another, pointing at me and gasping in awe and astonishment. Pretty soon, spectators in the buildings around us, opened their windows to watch the spectacle in the streets. They began to throw black roses, these Gothic floral trophies rained down from the skies, covering the cobble stone streets below. The band played on as the pedestrians cheered and waved us on.

"Where exactly are we headed?" I asked.

"To the city hall of course! But tell me though, what was it that your father used to say to you when you were younger?"
"
I sighed heavily, not really wanting to go into details.

"Come now, nothing is a secret! Especially here of all places!" Virgil said encouragingly.

I gave in with a sigh, "When I was a young boy, my father took me into the city, to see a marching band. We only went once, and never again after that. He wanted me to see it because he said that it was important. He said, "Son, when you grow up, will you be the Savior of the broken, the beaten, and the damned?" I never understood what he meant by that, honestly it kinda creeped me out! I was only 10 years old at that time. What did I know of people and the world outside of my neighborhood?"

Virgil nodded in agreement, "Go on! You're doing well! We're almost there!"

I continued, "He told me that one day, he'd leave me, or something like that. He said he'd leave me a phantom to lead me in the summer to join the black parade. That really scared me, the thought of him leaving me, and some ghost making me join a parade. Honestly though, it kinda pissed me off too, like I had no choice but to do what he asked. It was like I had no control over my life from that point forward, y'know?"

Virgil gave me a gentle pat on the back, then turned and faced the parade. He withdrew his whistle and blew a long note on it, signaling the procession to halt. They did as instructed, but kept playing music. Virgil turned back to face me.

"Now listen okay? Go into that hall, and face this man who has plagued your memories and ambitions for years. You can do it, I know you can," He said, for once he sounded sincere and serious.

I nodded and started to walk up the long marble steps towards the main entrance hidden behind large pillars. The crowd and city cheered me on, it was a great feeling, I felt at ease, and strangely important.

I pushed open the swinging doors to the building, and stepped into a large auditorium. At the foremost end of the room, there was a stage with a podium. Next to the podium was a man sitting patiently in a wheelchair. I instantly recognized him as my father.
I quickened my pace towards him, anger flooding in, drowning out any other emotion.
I climbed up the stage, making sure my hospital gown and IV line were clear before I stepped towards him.

"Hello. Good to see you-"

"Shut up for once! Just shut up!" I interrupted him sharply.

He stayed calm, he nodded and motioned for me to take a seat in a well worn wooden chair next to him.

I accepted the invitation and took a seat. My muscles suddenly tensed up uncomfortably from all the walking I had done. Just how far and how long had I been marching with the parade?

Ignoring the pain, I turned to face my father.

"What are you doing here? And why am I required to talk to the likes of you?! You left us a long time ago! Took the cowards way out!"

My father listened intently, when he knew I was done talking, he licked his lips to start his piece.

"How's your mother?" he asked plainly.

"Excuse me?!" I replied in shock.

"Ah, sometimes I get the feeling she's watching over me still, like the angel that she is. And other times I feel like I should just go," he continued.

"Father, how the hell would I know how she's doing?! In case you haven't already figured it out, we're both dead and sitting here in hell!" I shouted at him, my fists balled up in annoyance.

"Mm..you're right. Sometimes I forget where we're at y'know? But through it all, the rise and fall of things, they always work out right...right son?"

I wasn't understanding anything he was saying, "What are we even talking about dad?! You're making no sense here!"

"You've seen those bodies in the street, those people cheering and applauding you right? They love you son! And it's not a real mystery why. We knew you'd leave the world of the living soon, and when you were gone, we wanted you all to know...something." he said, rubbing his chin with his hand.

"We? What we? What did you want us to know? For shits sake dad, make some sense please!" I shouted at him, my chair creaked from my violent shifting around.

He cleared his throat, "Why my boy, to carry on. To carry on. Even though, you're dead and gone...believe me, your memory will carry on...hell we'll carry on too!"

I stared blankly at him, "Go on...I think I get what you're saying..maybe..but go on, I'm listening."

"Until my heart and yours, can't contain it, and the anthem won't sure as hell explain it. You see, a world that sends you reeling from decimated dreams-"

"No thanks to you! Your misery and hate will kill us all!" I interrupted.

He sighed and continued, "So paint it black son! And take it back! Hell, let's shout it loud and clear! You hear it and I hear it, defiant to the end we hear the call."

"Here we go again, what call?!"

"To carry on. Like I've been saying! If you'd listen for a second.." he said impatiently.

Even dead, we both couldn't get along for even a minute! My father was a Vietnam war veteran. He had both his legs blown off by a landmine, so he was wheelchair bound way before I was even born. He never talked about the war, and I never asked.

"You see son, even though I'm broken and defeated, my weary widow, your mom, will carry on without either of us. She has to, for her last living son and two daughters sakes. And on and on, we'll carry on through these fears, fears of being forgotten, being dead, and alone. Seeing the disappointed faces of our peers." he said casually.

"Take a look at me, cause I could not care at all! Do or die, you'll never make me!" I shouted at him, pointing my finger at him.

"Cause the world will never take your heart right?! Think again!" my dad shot back at me.

"Go and try! You'll never break me!"

"Yeah yeah, you want it all, you wanna play this part!" he replied.

"What part?! Tell me what part am I to play?!" I screamed at him, rising out of my chair and knocking it over.

"I won't explain, or say I'm sorry! I'm unashamed, I'm gonna show my scar, and you'll understand that part later my boy!" he said, lifting up the blanket of his wheelchair to expose a pair of scarred up stumps.

My father had never in his life, shown me his amputated legs, never! I was shocked and disgusted all at the same time.

"So give a cheer for the broken! Listen here, it's who we are!"

I stepped back a few feet from him. "I'm a man, I'm not a hero!" I protested.

My father wheeled himself closer to me, not taking his eyes off of mine, "No, you're a boy, who's meant to sing this song."

"I don't care! I really don't care! I don't know what you want from me! I have never known what you wanted from me!"

My father sighed heavily, turning his wheelchair away from me, "You're not going to like what I'm about to tell you, but it's about time that I did. Please sit down son."

I quickly took my seat, ready to finally hear what this man had to say.