Out of the Ordinary

No Fighting or Anything

I left my window open and fell asleep around 12 to the sound of the waves slowly crashing along the beach. I wished that I wouldn't have to go to school, so I stayed in bed, just laying down awake around 7, thinking I'd get that wish. But someone banged on my door without a word. Of course that would be Noah, and of course he wouldn't talk to me.

That part was fine with me, but would that mean that he wasn't going to help me with turning? I finally stood up in bed after obsessing over me turning and got ready. We drove in dead silence, no one even bothered to turn the radio on to drown out the silence. I glanced over at Noah a couple of times, he seemed at ease and comfortable just staring out the window. It wasn't till I sighed, subconsciously, that he turned to look at me. My right hand was on the gear shifts and he placed his hand on top of mine. He closed his eyes like he did that night at the beach, and he didn't let go until the light went green. But even after that he still didn't say anything, no mention of what he saw in his little visions.

During my first two classes I spent my time debating whether I should ask him if he was still going to help me turn, I didn't want to be shot down so I thought maybe, I'll wait and see if he talks first. But that would have to wait.

We didn't have our last two periods due to a welcoming ceremony, it was for an ancient werewolf clan, and the whole school was on a field trip to see their arrival.

They looked beautiful, they dressed like Egyptians in hieroglyphics, gold earrings, necklaces and all. I was completely at awe at how gracefully they moved, and more surprised that they were werewolves moving so gracefully. They asked those in front to move back, and then the ancient werewolves did a show, each of them, one by one, transformed into their wolf selves.

It was beautiful; each a different color of their own soul, that seemed to be how every creature worked. The eldest was a gray wolf, I wasn't sure but most said that gray wolves were formed because they weren't clouded with their judgement as head of the pack and showed only enough emotion to care for the whole pack. The second eldest would be his companion, the female alpha, she was a light brown, like the color of sand. My mother said that when she had to heal a wolf once, she was this exact color, and that wolf told her that was because without her pack, she'd be nothing, like the way sand falls through your hands, you'd find nothing left. Their were a total of seven wolves from the first pack, The Ancients, was their little nickname from outsiders. All the same, they were respected by all.

I didn't see Noah at the ceremony, though I wasn't looking for him, I knew he'd probably think this was the perfect time to evade me. It was alright, I'd have to take him home. I smirked a little, when I reached my car after we arrived back to school, as I saw Noah bowing his head walking to my car. Once he was strapped in I drove away quickly, and at that moment I decided not to bother him. I'd be waiting patiently but not really care when he would talk to me. He said I would be a mermaid, and that much was good enough for me, I'd wait a year as long as I got to be a mermaid in the end. With or without his help.

The week went by and on Saturday I got a not from a pelican, it read:

"~ Sweetheart, just give us a few more days, we'll be back by Tuesday I promise. I want you both to take care of each other, no fighting, or anything while we're away. Stay safe, your family. ~"

I allowed one lonely tear to drop, Noah was reading the letter with me and handed me a napkin once he saw the tear. I took it and nodded in appreciation and I walked to the window. I was making soup and so I stayed in the kitchen, my only wonder was why Noah was in the kitchen while I was, maybe he knew the letter was coming and just wanted to wait for it. What ever the reason, he didn't tell me. We ate in the kitchen this time, both of us sitting on the stools. I sighed subconsciously once again and he looked at me. This time I looked back at him, directly in his eyes. There was the faintest hint of emotion in his eyes, but other than that is was like looking into the ocean, not much to see above it because everything is hidden underneath.

I looked away first, why bother confusing my emotions more when he wasn't talking to me? I sighed once again, this time because I felt like I wanted my emotions to grow, to have feelings for him, and I guess you could say I already did, but I couldn't know for sure because I've never felt anything for anyone except my family.

Just then he got up and left, as if he had heard my thoughts and had to get away from my pessimism. Should I apologize for not knowing what I'm supposed to be feeling? I rolled my eyes, not at him, at myself. I'd have to learn my feelings for him sooner or later, and with how he is acting now, I sure hoped it would be later.

I spent to weekend in my room, only going out on Sunday when Noah left a note under my door asking to go to the store and get some things for another dinner party he was having Monday night. I didn't say anything or ask if he wanted to go with me, I just grabbed my wallet and left. I spent a good hour and a half out, I would have been done early but I was deliberately walking slow and driving slow. When I got back I didn't even call him, he was out side the moment I stepped out of my car and started to unload the car. We put everything away in silence. I was starting not to believe Jenn, maybe her visions or feelings were faulty.

This time at the dinner party, everyone seemed to want to talk to me, and I didn't want to talk to them. I answered politely, sometimes having to be nudged by Jenn when I wasn't paying close attention to when someone would call my name. Noah sat across from me and he wouldn't take his eyes off of me. I got slightly annoyed at this, so I looked at him, making sure there was no emotion on my face or in my eyes. He stared into my eyes, disappointed he could't read what was on my mind. I blinked once then turned away, staring at the wall again.

"Erin, that was really good! We should come over to eat more often!" said one of the, well I don't remember what she was, but I nodded.

"He was the chef, you should have him cook for you." I said trying to make it sound jokingly. It's not like I'd be the one to invite her if there is a next time. I waved and went back into the house so I could start on the dishes.

Noah left a note saying he would do it, I didn't care, I needed something to do before I let myself go crazy. It was bad when I had no one here to talk to, it seems worse having someone here that you can't talk to.

He came beside me and gently pushed me away but I didn't budge. I continued washing the dishes and he sighed heavily. I broke the silence that last for many days. "I can do the dishes, you can do what you please."

He grabbed my hand when I finished talking. "Are you sure about that?" And with out another word he removed the plate from my hand and pulled me into him and kissed me. I was lost and my mouth didn't move, and once he noticed I wasn't kissing back he was about to pull away, but I quickly moved my hands to the small of his back, pulling him closer to me and kissed him passionately. He seemed to be taken back because he wasn't kissing me back, but then he finally parted his lips more and kissed me just as passionately.

We finally broke apart, both breathing unevenly and just stared at one another. "So no more ignoring me?" I asked him.

He smiled, "I wasn't ignoring you, just trying to understand you, it's like you just couldn't make up your mind about me. It was so hard to see your future because you weren't even sure of yourself."

I sighed happily, he was finally telling me what was wrong, and maybe Jenn wasn't so off after all. I grabbed his hand and held it tightly, "You didn't have to react like that, you of all people should know that I've never had any kind of feelings for anyone but my family. And I say that because you hated me just as much as other people from school, who wants to date the human right?" I chuckled lightly.
"I know, but neither have I that's why I was so confused by you, I knew what I wanted and you didn't, we both never liked anyone before so you just made me think what I saw was a lie, that you were faking." he said quickly.
"You've never been with anyone?" I asked surprised and confused. "But so many girls like you." I added.
He laughed, "Yeah, sure they like me but I never felt the same for them."
I smiled, "So, just me?" I asked sounding a bit conceited, he liked me, me and no one else, no one before me. He nodded and pulled me into a hug, holding me there.

I felt like staying up with him, just holding each other, but he reminded me of my mothers note-no fighting or anything-now I got that part. So we headed for our rooms and slept for the night. This time I told him I didn't want to go to school. Who knew when my parents would come home and I wanted to be there to see them as they came out of the water.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up before Noah did and snuck out to the water, ignoring a note on my door that said "Go To School!". The sun was still rising, such a beautiful orange color it was and it made the clouds a pinkish- orange color. I smiled and took a deep breath in, the smell of the water and the beautiful sky could always take my breath away.

I waited there for hours and no one came. Noah stayed on the top of the stairs and didn't come down till we both saw a seagull. I sighed and got up as the seagull came closer to landing. It walked toward me and held one leg out toward me, attached was a small bottle. I didn't have to read the apology in the bottle, from the sight of the bird I already knew they weren't coming. I was more surprised to read that they would come the next day.

I returned to the house while Noah stayed and talked to the seagull. I was more than jealous when he talked to the bird as freely as anyone would talk to another person. He still spoke English but somehow the bird understood him and he understood the squawking of the bird. So maybe I wasn't so jealous after all because that could get quite annoying after some time.
There was still enough time to get ready and go to school but I felt like sulking all day. I felt like there wasn't much to do so I started on breakfast;french toast and scrambled eggs. I ate quickly and quietly and when I was done Noah came in the house.

"She says that they are all safe, that they just want to be sure that everything and everyone in the northern areas are safe. She says that she finds your parents to be...heroes and respects them more than any merperson out there." Noah announced sitting down and looking at his plate.

"What is this?" He asked and I just stared at him.

"It's called french toast and scrambled eggs, you really don't know what it is?" I chuckled lightly.

"No, I haven't lived on land much so the only human food I've ever eaten is whatever I've eaten here." He hesitantly took a bite and decided it was good because he started to eat faster.

"So the seagull is sure that they are safe? Or was she just trying to placate me?" I asked him getting back on subject.

He shrugged. "She was telling the truth, you don't have to believe it. Seagulls and other birds that stay close to waters can't lie to merpeople. It's some kind of curse an old witch did on them when they infested the waters she was trying to turn into land to make her fortress. The merpeople around her where her slaves and she couldn't make the seagulls tell her the truth with just a spell, so she used the merpeople. She knew that we could talk to them and that they would tell us secrets or what's going on all across the sea. With the help of the seagulls the merpeople escaped and were able to get their magic back and defeat the witch." I just nodded my head as I noticed he stated this matter of factually, like he was just telling me that one plus one equals two.

I waited till he was done eating and he grabbed my hand and pulled me into the living room. We sat down on the long couch and watched T.V. We both weren't really listening, we just saw the figures move but I was paying more attention to the sounds of the waves. He was absentmindedly drawing swirls on my right arm which was rested on his lap, palm up. I put my head on his shoulder and he looked down at me and I stared back.

He gave a small smile, "Don't worry so much, your parents can protect themselves, you make them seem so helpless." I was going to retort to that but he leaned down and kissed me. He didn't stop, he just moved my head so that it wasn't on his shoulder so that he could kiss me better. One of his hands went to my waist and the other one holding my neck. His kisses quickened and became more strong. I pulled away for a second only to be held tighter and his kisses were now harsh, his lips felt like they were smashing against mine.

He was about to let go of my neck when we heard some one clearing their throat. I gasped and turned around on the couch, it was my family. My mother looking disappointed, my father with a blank expression, my sisters wide eyes became wider and she looked some what hurt, all the while my brother was smirking and laughing like he knew I'd be in trouble. Which was what happened.

"This is what I didn't want to happen!" She yelled and I sat with my head low, Noah was holding my hand and it didn't feel at all comforting at the moment. After all, he was the one who went overboard. "Erin, you should have known better, no one else is home! Exactly what were you two thinking?! What were you trying to do?! No! I don't even want to know!" She finally sat down and just shook her head staring at the floor.

I was speechless, I knew I couldn't blame Noah because I could have done more to try and stop him from kissing me the way he had. I also didn't know how to form words, I was just so happy that they were here, but ashamed at how they were all looking at me for my little stunt. And instead of me talking, Noah did.

"It was my fault, you can't blame her. I kissed her and...and I lost control. She pulled apart from me but I...I just held her tighter. I was the one who started this and Erin was trying to end it. I can feel that she's very sorry and upset you had to witness that, but if you could feel how happy and relieved she is that all of you are back then maybe you wouldn't take the blame out on her and take it out on me."

I saw my moms head turn upward and I did the same, our eyes met and she looked sad but there was a small smile on her face. She came rushing to my side and she held me. "Mom, I'm sorry, I really really am so sorry."

She shook her head. "No, no, I'm sorry I yelled at you. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. We told the seagull to tell you we would be back tomorrow because we wanted to surprise you. We had found a merperson that makes necklaces, and we were so excited that we wanted everything to be a surprise." She moved away from me and into the kitchen.

I looked at my father who still had a blank expression on his face, my brothers expectant face of me being punished was now a pout of defeat, my sister looked a bit better now, though I could still see hurt in her eyes there was also understanding.

My mother returned with a small pouch and handed it to me. My father finally snapped out of it and smiled at me, waiting to see my expression of the gift. I opened the pouch slowly and pulled out a necklace. It was a large shell, almost the size of a thumb, and the middle of the shell was a black pearl. I gasped at how beautiful the pearl looked, and how well it fitted with the shell. I then noticed that my mother was wearing a bracelet with the same shell and white pearl, and my sister was wearing a necklace as well; her pearl was pink. Both necklaces and the bracelet looked wonderful. I smiled and ran to my parents, hugging them.

They patted my hair and said they wanted to get some sleep, so my family went to their rooms and rested and I stayed down stairs with Noah, just looking at my black pearl and shell necklace.

I then realized that good things come to those who wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
O.k. so this one took a while to come out. But it's here. Enjoy. :D