What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Fifteen

I hummed the tune of my favorite song on my way down to the lobby. Over the past few days, hotel staff had mentioned a secluded waterfall to the rear of the island. Behind the resort was nothing but trees and jungle and the waterfall was a good twenty minutes away. I had every intention of getting to it this afternoon.

After I had left Tom's room, I had gotten changed and then gone down for breakfast, or lunch I should say. Veronica had showed up a little later then me and again, began to give me dirty looks from across the room.

I ignored her and finished quickly. Although she left the restaurant a minute after me. I had gone back to my room to change into something comfortable to make the walk in and now I was walking down the path lined with gardens towards the lobby in search of some directions to the waterfall so that I didn't end up lost in the jungle.

That's when she showed up. Veronica stepped out of nowhere and stood in the middle of the path, her hands on her hips.

''Excuse me.'' I said when I reached her.

''I know what you're doing.'' She said and I said an eyebrow in confusion.

''I saw you leaving his room this morning. You knew I wanted him so you went and slept with him!'' she said, making it sound as if we were old friends and I had just stolen her first boyfriend.

''Excuse me, I have somewhere to be, so if you'd kindly move.'' I said. I didn't want to start a fight; I had better things to do.

''I'm not going anywhere until you say you'll back off you whore.'' She said and I bit my lip to hold back a stream of profanities. I was supposed to be on a relaxing vacation and here I was being called a whore because this stupid blonde wasn't getting what she wanted.

''Excuse me.'' I said, trying to get around her.

''Why would I move for a whore like you?'' she asked.

''I have somewhere to be-''

''Going to screw my man again I presume.'' She interrupted. I was at least a half a head taller than her, and when I stood right up against her a flash of 'oh shit' appeared on her face.

''Fuck off.'' I said, my voice low. She looked terrified that I was going to break her in half and she stepped out of the way.

''Stupid whore.'' I heard her mumble as I walked away.

My eyes stung with tears. I didn't know why I was reacting so strongly to this. I wiped away the single tear that escaped my eye and continued to the lobby. The concierge gave me directions and then pointed me towards the door that would take me out to where I could get on a hikers path to the waterfall. I thought I was alone.

''Katie!'' a familiar voice called.

''Katie!'' Tom called again and I stopped. I heard him run to catch up and then he was right beside me.

''Are you ok?'' he asked, looking deeply into my eyes.

''I'm fine.'' I told him and kept walking. He walked with me.

''I saw what happened back there, I'm sorry.'' He said as we walked.

''It's not your fault.'' I told him.

''It kind of is actually.'' He replied.

''Don't worry about it; I'm a big girl. And besides, it's not the first time some bimbo called me a name because I got what she wanted.'' We were in the trees now.

''Oh? And what did she want?'' he asked.

''My room.'' I answered playfully and he chuckled.

''So where are we going?'' he asked.

''To the waterfall.''

''There's a waterfall here?'' he asked, looking around as though he could see it already.

''Yea, it's about a fifteen minute walk from where we are now.'' I told him.

''Fifteen minutes?'' he asked as if I had said fifteen hours.

''You can go back if you want.'' I said.

''Well I'm already all the way out here.'' He said, rolling his eyes exaggeratedly.

''Wont your brother wonder where you are?'' I asked.

''He'll look for a while and then realize that I'm probably with you.'' He told me.

''You talk about me that much?'' I asked playfully and he rolled his eyes.

''Speaking of your brother, I hope he wasn't too upset that I couldn't keep quiet last night.'' I said with a smirk and Tom chuckled.

We walked in silence for a while, just looking at the scenery around us. Then I felt his hand brush mine, and again, and then he laced his fingers with mine. When I looked at him, he was ever so innocently looking the other way.

A hundred different thoughts raced through my head. Let go, don't let go, you're going to end up hurt, who cares? I was arguing with myself and I couldn't pick a side.

Most of out walk was silent as I continued to debate about the simple gesture Tom had made by holding my hand, and he looked at the trees and foliage around us. A few times I caught him looking at me, but he played it off ever so smoothly.

He started to stoke the back of my hand with his thumb and the argument I had just managed to put to rest flared up again. Why couldn't I just enjoy the soothing feeling of my hand in his? Why was I so worried? I was starting to annoy myself and then,

''Is that what we're looking for?'' Tom asked, stopping.

I looked up.

''Yea.''
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Guess what, I have a task for (you) my faithful readers. Because I've been distracted with the whole 'story line' thing, can anyone tell me how many days Kate's been at the resort? (counting the days that she was there before the story started) I would really appreciate your help with this one, just send me a message or leave me a comment here, on my profile, where ever.

Thanks so much!