What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Twenty-three

I stretched contently when I woke up, the memory of last night bringing a smile to my face.

I looked to Tom; he looked so cute when he slept. I could see the red letters of the clock behind him telling me it was noon.

I climbed on top of him and kissed his lips. He was unresponsive so I continued pecking him lightly until he finally kissed back. His eyes opened slowly and I smiled at him.

''Hi there.'' I said and he returned my smile.

''You should get a job as a wake up call girl.'' He said, kissing me again.

''I would but somehow I don't think the old lady on the first floor would like this as much as you.'' I said and he chuckled.

Tom wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his chest. I felt him turn in the direction of the clock.

''What-'' he stopped mid sentence and I looked up at him. His face had fallen.

''What is it?'' I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

''By this time tomorrow you'll be gone.'' He said, his voice emotionless.

He was right. Tomorrow morning at ten a.m. I would be on the helicopter to the mainland and by this time on a plane back home. I knew it was coming, but hearing Tom say it like that made it all too real.

''Yea.'' I sighed. Any euphoria that had carried over from last night was instantly killed by this.

Tom stroked my hair lightly.

''Then we better make today count.'' He said with a soft but irresistible smile.

''Do you want to go for breakfast?'' he asked.

''Yea, get Bill and I'll meet you downstairs.'' I said as I started to get up and Tom furrowed his eyebrows.

''We don’t want him to feel left out, and besides, if we take him now, he won't mind when we ditch him later.'' I said with a wink. It took him a second, but Tom caught on and his mouth formed a small 'o'.

I put on Tom's shirt from yesterday and my bikini bottoms and then headed back to my room.

As I opened my door, the door to the left of Tom's opened and Bill popped out. He smiled at me before starting to knock quickly on Tom's door.

I laughed and went into my room.

I figured that I wouldn't have much other tie for packing before I left, so I wheeled my suitcases out of my closet. I started to pile everything in. I didn't really care about neatness. I put worn clothes in one suitcase and clean clothes in the other. The latter looked much tidier.

I left out just enough clothes to get me by until tomorrow, including a bathing suit for today.

I took a quick shower to clean off the sweat and sex from last night, then changed into a dress and headed down to the lobby.

*~Tom's Point of View~*

Hardly ten seconds after Kate left and Bill was already at the door. That was a new record. I put on some pants and went to let him in.

''You guys are loud.'' Bill said, sitting on the couch. I raised my eyebrows as if to tell him to tell me something I didn't know.

''So what're we doing today? Or do the two of you want to be alone all day?'' he asked.

''She wants you to have breakfast with us.'' I said, shrugging. Bill raised his eyebrows questioningly.

''So that you'll leave us alone later.'' I added and he rolled his eyes.

''You make it sound like I'm a disease.'' He said, getting up.

''Cause you are.'' I laughed and he pouted like a six year old.

''Kidding, now go away, I need to shower.'' I said, pushing him to the door.

''Don't take too long, I'm hungry.'' He said.

''Ja ja.'' I said and closed the door.

I went to the bathroom and turned the shower on.

*~Kate's Point of View~*

I went down to the lobby and Bill was already there, not Tom though.

''He always takes too long. Want to get a table while we wait?'' Bill asked.

''Sounds good to me.'' I said and with that we headed for the restaurant.