What Happens Under The Sun

Thirty-one

When I woke up I didn't know where I was. I blinked my eyes a few times before I remembered where I had fallen asleep.

And with that realization came many other memories, including some I had been hoping to forget. The one thing I wanted to forget the most seemed to be the most distinguished in my mind. It was that of Jenkins running in and showing my dad the magazine.

Oh god.

I could only imagine what the breakfast conversation would be like this morning. It was going to be really awkward, or nonexistent. I found myself wishing that Jessica would burst in and tell me that it was all a joke, that the article wasn't real and my dad and Jenkins were in on some big trick they were playing on me.

I had no such luck, but Jessica did come bursting in.

''You're screwed!'' she announced happily.

''Good morning to you too.'' I said as she sat on my bed.

''What do you think your dad's going to do? I don't think Phil would go so far as to drop the whole band.'' She said, folding her legs underneath her.

''Do you just pluck the thoughts out of my head or what?'' I asked and she laughed.

''You shouldn't worry so much, your dad's not that extreme.'' She said.

''We should go down for breakfast soon eh?'' I said.

''More like lunch, it's twelve-thirty.'' Jessica told me. I didn't realize how late I'd slept.

''Lunch it is.'' I said and then swung my legs over the side of the bed.

We went down to the dining room and it looked as though my dad had just finished eating. One of the people who worked in the kitchen was there and was taking his plate away.

I looked to the door of my dad's study and it was closed. What if he was already making the call? Suddenly I wasn't hungry any more. I went to the door and heard him talking to someone. Jessica followed me and we stood with our ears pressed against the door like children trying to hear the hiding places of their Christmas presents.

His voice was low, but I caught most of what he said.

''So you've seen it then?…How do you think this is going to look on the company?…I'm not saying it's your fault I'm saying that you need to get that boy a chastity belt! God only knows what he did to my daughter. She just got her heart broken and I'm not going to let it happen again because your lead guitarist can't keep it in his pants!…Damn right you will!…No I'm not dropping the band, I'm not an idiot, but you'd better watch your boy or next time there'll be a more serious course of action.'' And then he hung up.

I heard his chair roll back from his desk and Jessica and I jumped back.

''Thank god.'' I said quietly before he got to the door.

''Girls! It's good to see that you've finally rolled out of bed. I want you to know that I've had a word with Tom's manager and that boy's going to get an earful.'' My dad said as he came out of his study.

''Great.'' I said sarcastically.

''So what's the plan for today Phil?'' Jessica asked, changing the subject.

''Well I've got to go out, I'm actually quite busy today. If you girls want to go out to see your apartment, there's a number on my desk you can call, it's for a driver. He'll take you there.'' My dad said as we all walked towards the front door.

''Sounds good to me!'' Jessica said.

''I'll see you girls later then.'' He said, opening the door.

''Bye dad!'' I said as he left.

''I want to go see our apartment!'' Jessica said excitedly.

We both raced upstairs to get dressed and when we came down, Jessica went to the kitchen in search of something to eat and I was tasked with finding the phone number on my dad's desk.

There were a hundred papers on his desk, how he expected me to find the number was beyond me. I bumped the mouse and the screen lit up. I knew it wasn't right to poke through my dad's stuff, but I couldn't ignore the fact that the picture that had popped up was one of Tom and it had a small article beside it.

My eyes wandered to the screen and glued themselves to the words.

'Tom Kaulitz, 19, is the lead guitarist of German rock band Tokio Hotel, but that's not all he is known for.

At only 19 Mr. Kaulitz boasts to be the most sexually active member of the band and his reputation certainly does precede him. His rep is one of easiness as someone would say. It has been said that Tom can't resist easy groupies while his brother Bill is looking for something deeper.
'

That was all I got a chance to read before Jessica knocked at the door.

''Did you find it?'' she asked.

I looked over the desk again and then back to the monitor. On a yellow sticky note stuck to the side of the computer screen was the number.

''Yea.'' I told her, pulling it off and dialing it on my dad's office phone.

''What can I do for you Mr. Reed?'' a voice answered.

''This is actually his daughter Kate, and I need a ride to my apartment.'' I told the man.

''Right away Miss, the car will be there shortly.'' He assured me.

''Thank you.'' I replied and hung up.

Jessica and I killed a few minutes scouring the kitchen for snacks and then went out to the car. A man with a driver's hat was at the door and he opened the car door for us when we got to it.

We got in and in a matter of seconds we were on our way to our new apartment.