What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Forty-five

*~Tom's Point of View~*

''Kate!'' I called, running towards her.

when she had gone to step off the curb, she last her footing and fell backwards. She landed flat on her ass and I'm sure we could have laughed about it later had she not fallen backwards and hit her head on the pavement as well.

''Are you alright?'' I asked, kneeling beside her. she sat up and I could tell she was seeing stars from the way she scrunched her eyes closed.

''I'm fine.'' She said, rubbing the back of her head. I stood up and held out a hand to help her up. She stumbled a bit when she stood.

''You hit your head pretty hard, are you sure?'' I asked nervously.

''I'm fine.'' She repeated, pulling her hand out of mine, but as soon as she wasn't holding onto me she stumbled again.

''I'm taking you to the hospital.'' I told her, taking hold of her waist.

''I'm fine, just put me in a cab and send me home.'' She protested.

''Kate, I'm not arguing with you. Get in the car, we're going to the hospital.'' I said in what I thought to be an 'I'm having the last word' tone.

''Why are you being so adamant about this? I'm fine!''

''I'm in enough trouble with your dad and the last thing I need is to let you go home to bed with a concussion and fall into a coma.'' I said. It was true, I didn't need Mr. Reed to find out that I had let his daughter go home with a concussion, but at the same time, I just wanted to know that she was ok.

''Fine.'' She grumbled.

I held her waist and she put one hand over mine as I walked her to my car. I opened the passenger door and helped her up and in. I walked around to the front of the car and got in myself.

I pushed my hood off of my head and did up my seatbelt. Kate was pretty much soaked and I could see her shivering –but trying to hide it- out of the corner of my eye. I knew she'd never say anything so when I turned on the car, I put on the heat as if I had intended to do so all along.

''I'm telling you I'm fine. All the doctor's going to tell me is to take an aspirin and have a nap.'' She said as we drove.

''Even if that's the case, I'll sleep easier.'' I said and then pushed the power button on the radio.

The silence between us was just too loud. It was weird, there had never been such a silence between us. Before, if we were silent it was comfortable, but I guess that was another thing that had changed.

We pulled into the parking lot of the hospital and she tried to tell me again that she was fine. I didn't listen and parked the car. I went around to help her out and practically had to drag her across the parking lot and into the building.

''Everything looks good, you're just going to have a bump and a nasty headache for the next few days.'' The doctor said and I rolled my eyes when Kate smiled proudly.

''Here's something for the headache, it'll take about an hour to kick it and it'll make you pretty drowsy.'' He said, handing her a small container with two pills in it.

''Thanks doctor.'' She said, taking the pills from him and hopping down from the table.

''Try to be more careful next time.'' The doctor said with a smile.

''I don't know if that's within her capacity.'' I teased and she elbowed me in the ribs. The doctor laughed as I rubbed my side and we left the exam room.

''I told you!'' Kate said as soon as we left the building.

''It's better to be safe than sorry.'' I muttered as we walked.

''You could have just let me go but noo we had to go to the hospital.'' She said as I helped her into the car.

She started to say something else but I closed the door on her and walked around to my side.

We were in a pretty deserted part of the parking lot, there were only three or four other cars and because it was still raining no one was outside. We were completely alone.

''Now we've wasted most of the day at the hospital.'' She said when I got in.

''Are you finished?'' I asked.

''Yes.'' She nodded once, folding her arms.

''Then take those pills and shut up already.'' I said. I was quickly discovering how annoying Kate could be.