What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Five

''I mean, I don't know what she sees in him; he's a mechanic for god sakes! She could have dated the freaking prince!''

I was sitting on the beach in a lounger facing the water. I was here for about half an hour enjoying the relaxing sound of the waves hitting the beach, before the annoying blonde next to me showed up and started to gab on her phone. A hundred chairs on the beach and she picks the one beside me.

I could have moved, but I was just so comfortable.

I hadn't seen Tom since this morning in the garden. Tom. On some level it was weird that he had a name. He had been 'the boy with the dreadlocks' so long it had grown on me.

Because this was a beach resort, I assumed that at some point, Tom and his friend would show up here. Not that I was waiting for them or anything.

''Oh come on Hailey, you know Paul didn't deserve what Sarah did to him. I know she's my friend but come on you just don't throw a pair of garden sheers at a guys junk! It's just cruel!''

I snorted as I tried to suppress my laughter. This girl's conversation wasn't entirely boring.

I could see her looking at me out of the corner of my eye and I wiped the smirk from my face. As she went back to her conversation, I closed my eyes and adjusted myself in my chair, making sure I was exposed equally to the sun all around.

''I'm not having this conversation with you!'' she laughed. ''I'm telling you right now there's no way h- oh my god have you ever seen anything so gorgeous?''

I opened one eye slightly to find out what she was talking about.

Walking casually along the beach, coincidentally in my direction, was Tom, the boy with the dreadlocks. He was in nothing but white swim trunks with red Hawaiian flowers on them. His friend was with him. He was wearing almost the same thing except his had blue flowers.

Tom must have seen me because he ever so casually adjusted his and his friend's path so that they were headed to a couple of chairs not too far over from mine. Two to be exact.

''Oh my god, he just sat down, I'll have to call you back.'' The blonde next to me said as she closed her phone.

She finally shut up and I had every intention of leaving.

Tom turned towards me and smiled devilishly as he sat down, as if he had just done something so clever he even amazed himself. I heard the girl beside me giggle and I raised my eyebrows questioningly. I turned to see her smiling and batting her eyelashes as if there was no tomorrow.

The girl flipped her hair over her shoulder and got up to leave. She grabbed her towel –clearly unused- and walked deliberately past the two boys to my right, swinging her hips as she went. Clearly she though Tom's smile was directed at her.

I saw Tom get up from his chair and I started to wonder if it had been directed at her. He wasn't going back towards the pool patio though, he was turned in my direction. I decided to have a little fun with this.

I grabbed my towel and got up before he was within five feet of me. I then walked off in the same direction the blonde had gone. I didn't doubt that he would follow.

When I rounded the corner onto the beach patio, there were barely two people there. Most people stayed on the beach at this time of day. But the blonde was there, sitting no too far away from the opening in the row of trees and bushes between the beach and the patio.

I kept walking and just as I had predicted, Tom wasn't too far behind me. as soon as he rounded the corner onto the patio, the girl hopped out of her chair and stood in front of him. I had sat down in a seat of my own not too far away and was watching the drama unfold.

''Hi, I'm Veronica, you are?'' she asked. She was at least a head shorter than him and I could see his face clearly over her head.

''Tom.'' He answered and tried to continue walking.

''I saw you smiling at me on the beach and thought you might follow me up here.'' She said and I started to shudder with silent laughter.

''Wait what?'' Tom asked and I continued to laugh.

''I know it's not easy for most guys to come up to a girl like me, so instead of having you sit two chairs over, wondering what to say, I decided to skip a few steps and get us talking.'' She said and I laughed harder. She certainly was cocky.

''Uhh.'' He stammered, clearly unsure how to respond to her blunt, misguided forwardness.

''You're pretty gorgeous though, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.'' She added.

''Uhh, thanks?'' he more asked than said.

That was all I needed, I had satisfied my laughter quota for the day. I got up from my chair and turned to leave the patio. I smirked wickedly at Tom before I left the patio and his mouth fell open as if to say ''you did this on purpose?''

I laughed again to myself and then headed for the lobby. It was about time for lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to my readers, subscribers, and/or comment-ers! I appreciate it!