What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Six

The sun was just about finished setting over the ocean and I was watching it do so from the hot tub just off the pool patio.

After lunch, I had gone back out to the beach. Tom wasn't there but I saw the blonde girl, Veronica, walk by a few times. Either he had invited her to his room and she was having a really hard time finding it, or he was hiding from her. I was betting on the latter.

I had been at the bar for a while, making idle conversation with the bartender before I expressed my desire to go in the hot tub. Even though the hot tub was beside the patio and you couldn't see it through the tall bushes between the two, because I had spent that time at the bar, there was no doubt in my mind that if anyone were looking for me, they could find me.

*~Tom's Point of View~*

I was pretty sure Veronica had given up her search for me. I had managed to ditch her by the pool when she first caught me by telling her I needed to get back to my brother. But the second time I practically had to hide in a bush before she let me be.

I sat down at the poolside bar and put my head in my hands. I took a deep breath and when I looked up, the bartender was there.

''Rough day?'' he asked.

''This is supposed to be my vacation.'' I said and he chuckled. He got me a drink and waited for the rest of my story.

''I was trying to talk to this one girl, so I followed her up to the patio, but then there was this other girl who ambushed me and I've been running from her all day.'' I told him and then took a drink.

''This girl you were trying to get at, what's she look like?'' he asked as he cleaned a glass.

''Beautiful, her hair is so dark, but her eyes are as blue as the sky and her body , I j-'' I stopped and made an hourglass shape with my hands. The bartender chuckled.

''This girl, was she the one laughing when the short blonde got you?'' he asked.

''Yea, how'd you know?''

''I've been here all day, I see everything. Listen,'' he leaned towards me. ''you didn't hear it from me, but your girl might be in the hot tub just off the patio.'' He nodded towards the gap in the bushes at the edge of the patio.

''Thanks.'' I said, getting up right away.

I'd been trying all day to talk to her. now I would get my chance for things to go uninterrupted.

*~Kate's Point of View~*

I heard footsteps coming towards the hot tub. That didn't take very long at all.

''Mind if I join you?'' he asked from behind me.

''I was wondering when you'd show up.'' I said with a smirk as Tom got in.

''So you were waiting for me?'' he sat in the corner and I in the right.

''How'd you find me?'' I asked, ignoring his question.

''I asked around.'' He said with a one-sided grin.

''Sounds like you went to some trouble to find me.'' I said.

''Only as much as you went to to avoid me.'' He replied and I smirked.

''So Tom, why are you here?'' I asked, looking away from the sunset at his face.

the way the orange light hit his face accentuated all his features, making him look even better than before.

''Do you want the truth?'' he asked with a smirk and I nodded.

''Because from the moment I saw you, I decided that I was going to sleep with you once before this vacation was over.'' He said in all honesty.

This would have been the kill point for most girls, finding out that a guy only wanted you for your body, but strangely enough, it turned me on. He wasn't looking to get emotionally attached to someone, and neither was I.

While I thought this over in my head, my face was blank and he looked worried that he had just totally ruined his chances of getting laid. But then I smiled.

''That's very forward, but I'm afraid it's not likely to happen.'' I said and he looked very disappointed.

I moved closer to him so that there was barely any space left between us. Out faces were inches apart and he looked expectant.

''Because you see Tom,'' I said. I leaned to his right ear, getting close enough that my lips almost touched.

''Once is just simply not enough.'' I ran my right index finger quickly down his left jaw and then got up and out of the hot tub.

By the time I had wrapped my towel around my body and was headed back to the main patio, Tom still hadn't moved. I felt quite accomplished.

I know I was supposed to be playing hard to get, but no one ever said I had to play too hard.