What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Sixty

I woke up quite a while before my two drunken –now hung over- friends.

If they were plastered enough that Jessica fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow and Jordan was convinced I was his girlfriend, I knew they'd be feeling it big time this morning.

I got out of bed and got dressed. I didn't feel much like waiting for coffee to be ready and the speedy café across the road sounded like a good idea to me.

I went to the kitchen and decided that there were some things I should do before I left. I went to the cabinet above the sink and got out the Advil, extra strength. I got a bottle of water from the fridge and walked the combination to Jessica's room, putting them on her nightstand. I didn't imagine that her and Jordan would have any objections to sharing a water bottle.

I went across the street and got coffee for the three of us. I didn't know how Jordan took his coffee so I guessed.

When I got back, Jessica's door opened slowly and the two of them shuffled out. Jessica was massaging her temples and Jordan looked ready to toss his cookies. I held out her coffee for her and she mumbled a thank you before popping the lid off and blowing on it.

''So, I take it you had fun?'' I asked cheerfully.

''Yea, until I woke up.'' Jessica said and I laughed.

''Shh!'' she urged, scrunching her face in a pained look.

''Sorry.'' I laughed quietly.

''Oh my god, I'll be right back.'' Jessica said and then hurried to the bathroom.

Jordan was just starting to sip his coffee.

''I didn't know what you liked so I guessed.'' I told him.

''Tastes fine to me.'' he said. He set his cup down and looked at me like he was waiting to say something.

''Listen, last night I was hammered and I just wanted to apologize for the whole.'' He gestured to his ear and I laughed.

''It's ok, it's not the first time some drunk guy's stuck his tongue in my ear.'' I said playfully.

''You stuck your tongue in whose ear?'' Jessica asked as she returned from the bathroom. I put my hand up and she laughed.

''I think I've done that before.'' She said playfully.

''Only you weren't drunk.'' I said, winking exaggeratedly.

''I am in no way opposed to that.'' Jordan said and we laughed.

''Good cause if you weren't I might have to dump you.'' Jessica teased and then kissed his head.

They drank their coffees and then Jessica announced that she was going to bed and, faithful as a golden retriever, Jordan followed her.
Having nothing better to do, I sat down to watch TV.

I flipped through the channels until I found a sitcom and started to watch. The show went to commercial. I had left my coffee in the kitchen, but I just couldn't bring myself to go and get it. Instead, I watched the commercials. I should have gotten my coffee.

Now playing on my TV screen was one of those World Vision commercials. You know them; they're the ones with the starving kids and the old white guy in khaki shorts. I should have changed the channel, but I just couldn't.

As I watched the clips of the kids play across the screen and listened to the old man tell their stories, tears stung my eyes. Towards the end of the minute long commercial, tears were flowing freely down my face.

What was wrong with me? Those commercials were sad but come on, this was ridiculous. Why was I being so emotional over everything lately? I mean, you'd think I was-

I cut that thought short and started to count.

''Thirty-one, thirty-two, thirty-three.'' I muttered and my eyes went wide.
I was five days late.

Holy shit. But we'd never- yes we did, that morning in the shower. Oh my god, oh my god.

I jumped up from the couch and grabbed my purse on my way to the door. I put my shoes on and left. I didn't bother letting Jessica know, she was sleeping anyway.

I was freaking out as I got a cab to the drug store. Tom and I weren't supposed to be together but if I was pregnant we were fucked big time.

I paid the driver and bolted into the drug store. Thankfully it was empty and the only person in there was the cashier. I searched the shelves until I found the pregnancy tests and grabbed one. I brought it to the counter and got out my wallet. I must have looked worried because the girl behind the counter gave me a sympathetic look as I paid.

''You can use the bathroom in the back if you want.'' She said.

''Thank you.'' I said gratefully as she handed me the key.

I went to the bathroom and practically ripped the test out of the box. I read the instructions and followed them exactly; I'd never had to do this before. I put the test back in the box and put the box in my purse. I wasn't going to wait for a result alone. I was going to Tom's.
♠ ♠ ♠
DUNH DUNH DUNH! My oh my, what is going to happen next?
That my dear readers, is something only I know.