What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Sixty-four

I felt a moving body underneath me and I froze. Where the hell was I? I opened my eyes. Oh yea.

I had spent the night at Tom's for the first time since we left the island. I was still in his arms and could fell him running a hand through my hair. The combined feeling was quite soothing.

Suffice to say, right then, I couldn't have felt better.

I looked up at Tom and he was already looking at me.

''Hi.'' I said with a slight smile and he returned it.

I moved from his chest up to the pillow beside him. even though I had moved, he still kept one arm around me. I didn't mind.

I had decided that for the moment, I would indulge my needy side and let myself embrace him without hesitation. But before I left, I would make sure that it was clear that this morning and last night hadn't changed anything. It couldn't change. What we had was what we had and no amount of affection from either party was going to turn it into something else, something more.

We simply stared at each other for a few minutes. I was thinking back to the resort, remembering the mornings we'd shared like this, and I didn't doubt he was doing the same thing.

Tom leaned towards me and softly kissed my lips. He kissed my cheek once, and then my neck once, but stayed with his lips millimeters from my skin.

As much as I didn't want to be the rain on this parade, I knew he wasn't going to do it.

''I have to go.'' I said and he visibly froze.

I was expecting him to protest, or even shy away in a childlike fit, but he did neither. Instead, he buzzed his lips on my neck, giving me a raspberry. I giggled and pushed his face away.

''Is that your way of telling my you want me to stay?'' I laughed.

''No it's me kicking you out.'' Tom said sarcastically but playfully.

He pulled me back and did it again. I giggled and he started to tickle me. I laughed as I tried to push him away, but he wasn't going down easily.

''I- have to- go.'' I said again through my laughter and he stopped tickling me instantaneously.

''One of us has got to be the stick in the mud.'' I told him softly when a look of disappointment spread across his face.

He let go of me and I got out of bed. I got dressed in yesterday's clothes and he pulled on some boxers and a t-shirt. We took out time though. It appeared that neither of us were in a rush to end this morning.

''So you're just going again? I'm supposed to just wait around to see if you bother coming back?'' Tom asked as we inched towards the door.

''Tom,'' I said. ''You know this doesn't change anything right? Just cause I stayed doesn't mean this is any different than before.''

''Yea I know.'' He muttered, his face falling. I hated to see him upset like that, but someone had to make it clear that nothing had changed between us and again, I knew he wasn't going to be the one to do it.

''I have to go now, Jessica's probably freaking out because I didn't come home last night, and god knows how Derek reacted to my disappearance.'' I said, cringing internally at what was most likely waiting for me at home.

''Oh yea, him.'' Tom said, a certain venom in his voice.

''Hey, be nice.'' I scolded.

''Yea yea, he's not your boyfriend and you've never slept with him, I get it.''

''Why do you care anyways?'' I asked and then wished I hadn't. I didn't really want the answer to that question.

''I don't. I just don't like him, he's shifty.'' He said.

''Shifty?''

''Yea shifty. Don't you have somewhere to be?'' he replied, changing the subject.

''I'll see you around.'' I said as I opened the door.

''Goodbye Tom.'' And I left.

''Bye Kate.'' I heard him say as I pulled the door closed.

There was something about leaving him that seemed particularly hard this morning, but I could figure out what it was later.

Right now, I had to go home and face the music. Or worse, Jessica.