Ghost in the Walls

Sitting Alone

When we finally arrived at the house, we sat in silence. Neither of us had said a word since we left the hospital. Spencer had opened his mouth on several occasions to say something, but I guess he decided it wasn’t the right time. After all, I was still ready to strangle Troy if I saw him again. On top of that, Aiden was still in critical condition. I really was a ticking time bomb, I guess.

Finally, I spoke up, “I’m sorry. You know, about what happened back there.”

“I don’t blame you for going after him. I’d like to kill him.” Spencer rested his hands on the steering wheel. “The thing is, I think I can blamed to.”

I looked over at him, realizing what he was saying. “Why? You didn’t do anything.”

“I-“ He stopped, glanced in my direction, and shook his head, “Forget it. Never mind.” He looked down at his hands, “I think you should go inside. It’s getting late and I need to get home. My mom’s problem going insane.”

As I got out of the car, I turned to him, “Don’t feel like you have anything to do with Aiden being in the hospital. I know you tried to stop him. He was always so stubborn. I’m glad you were there to call the police.” I gave him a smile, even though it was forced, and closed the door behind me. I made my way up the walkway and turned back to him. He pulled away and I unlocked the door.

Inside, everything was quiet. Winsdor walked up to me, wagging his tail slowly. He whined loudly. Maybe he knew something was wrong. I patted his head and made my way to the couch. Looking around the room, I finally realized that there was a huge chance Aiden might never come home. Before I could stop myself, I began crying, silently.

Winsdor curled up at my feet. I felt his warm body on my legs and cried harder. Aiden would always lie down on the floor and wrap his arms around our lab. They were inseparable when they were younger. Then, Aiden began hanging out with Troy and Spencer. Ever since then, it was Winsdor and I attached at the hip.

I jumped at the sound of the phone. It rang loudly till I finally decided to pick it up.

“Hello?” I said as I wiped away a tear.

“Amber, is that you?” Kits voice came over the phone. “Amber?”

I let out a sigh as I answered, “Yeah, it’s me.”

“I heard what happened about Aiden. I wanted to say I’m so sorry.” Kit and I had been friends since kindergarten, when she accidentally spilt her chocolate milk all over me. “Is he gonna be okay?”

“I don’t know anything yet. Mom made me come home.” I played with the hole in the fabric of the chair. “It’s too quiet here.”

She didn’t anything for a minute until I heard a pop. Obviously, she was chewing gum. “Why don’t I come over? I can stay with you till your Mom gets home.”

I thought a moment; “Sure, I guess it would be nice to have someone else in the house besides the dog.” In all reality, I didn’t want her want her there. I needed to be alone. I knew, thought, that if I said that, she would have kept pestering me till I agreed. So, I beat her to it.

“Good, I’ll get there as soon as I can.” I heard the phone click as she hung up the phone. I placed the phone on the hook and stared at it. In some ways, I was afraid that the phone would ring and bad news would be on the other end of the line. Nothing could shake the feeling that the call was coming.

A half hour must have passed, because the next thing I heard was the doorbell. I stood up and walked slowly to the door. Before it was completely open, Kit forced her way in a wrapped her arms around me. I forced myself to hug her back.

“I am so sorry, Am. I still can’t believe it happened.” She pulled back and pushed a stray hair out of my face. I pushed her hand away.

“Don’t talk about it, okay. I don’t want to think about it.” I walked to the kitchen. Kit turned the lights on as she followed behind me.

“Have you been sitting in the dark this whole time?” She shook her head. “I am so glad I got here when I did. I don’t think you should be alone right now.”

I sat at the table, ignoring her. “I’m fine, Kit. You don’t understand.”

She sat beside me, “You’re right, I don’t understand because, thankfully, I’ve never had to go through this. But, I’m willing to listen to you and try to help you. Please, just talk to me, Am. I really, really wanna help.”

I looked up at her. She made the thought of baring my feelings to her sound like the easiest thing in the world. It wasn’t, though. How would I explain that I could never forgive myself because I had wished Aiden wasn’t my brother? I couldn’t. I’d be too ashamed.

She stared back at me. “Am, are you alright?”

“Of course I’m not alright. My brother was stabbed and he might not make it through the night. My life is falling apart every single minute. I know nothing is ever going to be the same. I’m not alright, Kit.” I put my head in my hands. I hope she was happy with what I gave her. It wasn’t the whole truth, but it was something.

We sat in silence for what felt like hours. All we heard was the clock ticking and Winsdor paws padding around the kitchen, looking for attention. I lifted my head to say something else, when the phone rang. We both looked at it, waiting for someone to pick it up.

I finally stood, moved toward the phone, and picked up the receiver.