Demonology And Eventuality

Chapter one

As the guitar finally comes to a rest, the audience watches in dead silence as the vocalist bows his head to them, signaling the end of the show. No one moves a muscle. As many still stand there, staring with disbelieving eyes, the band makes its way off the stage, and into the back room.

"Can you believe that?" a girl in the back whispers. "That just happened, didn’t it?"
"Um… unless we’re all on the same trip, I think so," replies the Hispanic boy standing next to her.

Neither of them looks more than maybe thirteen or fourteen, and both are shocked out of their mind, as well as the entirety of the audience. What separates these two kids from the adults that surround them is the fact that they are the only ones who remember exactly what they saw. The image that has been engraved into their memories is one that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Finally, people make their way out of the theatre, and all of them have headaches, like a bad hangover. Many believe it’s just that. The kids though, have stayed behind in wonder, and in this curiosity, they sneak back stage, and into the back room, to see the band members, and maybe get a clue as to what they have seen.

As they quietly approach the room, the boy steps on a lose board which creaks, and they freeze. Soon, they hear steps, and their breathing becomes shallow gasps as the footsteps draw nearer. Their cold sweat and ragged gasps seem to be louder and more vivid as the steps grow louder and louder. They must have been caught. There’s no escape!

Suddenly, the steps turn away into a room just in front of them. Not daring to sigh in relief, they continue on their route to the band room. As they draw closer, they hear confused voices ranting in the back, maybe even arguing. The voices sound scared, confused, and panicked. Although the kids have no way of knowing exactly what is being said, they know the subject of the conversation, if you could call it one. It must be about what happened during the concert.

The kids get closer to the room to make out what is being said, when a deep voice speaks from behind them. "Don’t move a single muscle, or you’ll be dead before you hit the ground."

Startled, the boy jumps, and falls to the ground. He doesn’t move. The girl, frozen in fear, can’t help but follow the man’s directions.

"Now, do exactly as I say, and you, girl, will survive this encounter, unlike the boy who followed you in here," the man states, "Remain where you are. Now, slowly kneel and tilt your head back, this will only take a second.

As she does this, the figure, it’s not a man, appears beside her, and then blackness. Not a void, not nothingness, but an empty blackness. The darkness envelopes her, as she loses herself in a dreamless sleep in which she can’t escape. She drifts into the blackness, and loses all meaning of time or place.

The next day, both children are reported missing, but no one, not even the other concert attendees have any recollection of the kids’ existence, let alone their whereabouts during the concert. Twenty-three years go by, not a single word, nor a single clue as to what may have happened to the boy and the girl surfaces. Then he comes into town.

He’s a tall man; seemingly athletic, with blondish hair, and extremely bright blue eyes. They seem, almost unnatural. He carries himself with confidence, and with an air that shows he can handle himself. He looks straight ahead, but he seems to take in all of his surroundings at once. His light skin seems to darken in the sunlight, as if the pigment in the skin consumes the light. His dark trench coat, pants, and black cowboy hat are so dark they seem to be vast regions of nothingness inside. He has an aura of death about him.
He knows the woman has been stalking him, but he doesn’t know why. He doesn’t know were he is either, but he does know why he’s here, wherever it is. He reads a sign above his head. “Welcome to Chicago !” So I’m in Chicago . Interesting… He knows there is a reason he has been sent here, but as to who sent him or the relevance of his purpose, he has yet to discover. For now, he will let things happen as they come. First though, he needs to deal with the girl.

He takes a sharp right at the end of the road, into the dark ally between the two largest buildings in town. As he does so, he uses his own appearance to become one with the shadows, a feat most would think impossible, but he knows his ways.

As the woman seemingly foolishly follows, he slams his elbow into her nose, and she drops like a sack of rocks. Other than her shallow breaths, she doesn’t stir. He picks her up, and hails a cab.