‹ Prequel: Eyes of the Devil

The Angel of Death

Chapter Four

A glint of light up in the sky caught my attention. A tiny dot of purple seemed to fly right out of the sun, getting bigger and bigger as it got closer to me. It was a little spaceship, just big enough for one person. I knew who it was, but I couldn’t remember his name. He jumped off the ship when he was close to the ground and landed really close to me.

“For some reason, I thought demons would be more of a threat when they escaped.” He suddenly pulled out a gun with purple spikes all over it and pointed it at me. “But I could always be wrong, I guess.”

My eyes widened. “Please don’t hurt me!”

“And why shouldn’t I?” he asked, scowling.

“…I-I’m not a demon!” I backed away from him a little, but I knew there was no point in running or trying to fly away. He had weapons and a spaceship. I could barely get off the ground without getting hurt.

He raised one eyebrow. “You have wings like them, and you look like their leader. Why should I listen to you?”

“Daddy just gave me wings! Am I not supposed to have them?” I frowned and looked at the ground. “I was just trying to get back to mommy…”

He stood still for a second, then slowly put the gun away. “…wait…you’re Lyn’s kid?”

I nodded.

“Why are you down here?!”

“…I wanted to see my daddy,” I muttered. He walked over and knelt in front of me.

“Do you want me to take you back up there?”

I nodded slowly. “Pretty please?”

“Okay,” he said with a small smile. I gave him a big hug because he was really cool. “You’re welcome.”

“I just want to see my mommy,” I told him. “I think she’s gonna be mad I went down there.”

“I don’t think she’ll be m-”

His voice suddenly cut off, and I looked around to see if there was a reason why. More of those weird creatures had started appearing around us, most of them black and red. “Okay, time to go,” he said quickly. He picked me up and jumped into the air. I thought we were going to land on the ground, but the spaceship suddenly flew beneath him and caught us. I hugged him really tight so I wouldn’t fall off.

“Hang on, kid.” I heard blasting sounds and saw a bunch of different-colored lights off to the side, and the creatures started disappearing. I was scared, but not as much as when I first met my dad. It was actually kinda fun.

He spun around a few times as we flew higher up in the sky. I was getting dizzy, but it was so much fun that I didn’t want to complain.

“You’re so cool!” I shouted, hoping he would hear me over the wind rushing past us. He laughed.

“Yeah, I know.”

He landed the spaceship on the clouds and helped me get off. My legs were a little shaky, but I ran to find my mom anyway. I almost fell a few times.

“Mommy?” I called, checking the kitchen first. It was her favorite place. I pulled my sleeve down over my arm so she wouldn’t see what happened to it.

“Angel!” She picked me up and hugged me tightly. “Where were you? I was so worried!”

“I went to go see daddy!” I said excitedly.

She gasped a little. “You what?!”

I pulled away from hugging her. “…I went to see daddy…”

“I thought I told you not to,” she said with a slight frown. I felt really guilty now.

“I’m sorry, mommy.”

She sighed. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I thought for a moment. “Daddy’s scary.”

“I know he is, sweetie,” she said softly, hugging me again. I looked over her shoulder and saw that man starting to walk away. “Frank, wait,” she said, not having to turn around to know he was leaving. That was his name. Frank.

He stopped and turned around to look at her.

“Thank you,” she said as I pulled away from the hug so I could see him too. “I’m really glad you brought him back.”

“Any time,” he said with a smile.

“I don’t know how to thank you…”

“It’s okay, Lyn,” he said quickly, waving one hand in the air. “I’m more than happy to do it.”

She started walking away from him and took me to my room. She put me on my bed and sat next to me.

“What’s wrong, mommy?” I asked. She sighed.

“Angel, what did I tell you about visiting your father?”

I looked down. “You told me not to…but I really wanted to see him! I’ve never seen him. It’s not fair.” I was afraid I would start crying again, so I stopped talking.

“I’m sorry.” She wrapped an arm around me. “I wish you could see him, Angel. You know that, don’t you?”

I nodded. I knew there was no point in asking why I couldn’t go visit him, and even though I didn’t really want to anymore, I sorta…did. “Do you think you could go with me next time so I won’t be as scared?”

She shook her head. “I can’t do that. There’s not going to be a next time.”

“But-”

“No, sweetie.”

I sighed. “Okay, mommy.” She gave me a hug and left, and I ran out of my room to go find Frank. Maybe he would give me a ride on that spaceship again!