‹ Prequel: Eyes of the Devil

The Angel of Death

Chapter Five

As I searched for Frank, I heard talking in the room next to me. Mikey was yelling at someone. I hid around the corner and listened to the conversation. I was really good at not getting found out.

“Why did you take the kid to see his dad?” Mikey asked. He sounded mad. “Lyn specifically told him it was too dangerous!”

“I didn’t take him,” Frank said calmly. “I brought him back. There’s a difference.”

“Oh, please. He wouldn’t go there on his own. He’s not stupid.” I felt really bad when Mikey said that. Did wanting to visit my dad make me stupid? “You, however…I tend to question your intelligence.”

“Are you saying I’m dumber than a five-year-old?” Frank asked. I looked around the corner as Mikey shrugged.

“You said it first.”

“Shut up, Mikey.”

I smirked a little. Frank was awesome. Mikey was okay, but sometimes he just got annoyed instead of thinking things were funny.

“Don’t mess with me, Frank. I have power you could never dream of.”

“If that was supposed to scare me or make me jealous, it didn’t work.”

I wondered if Mikey knew about all the cool stuff Frank had. I sure wouldn’t want to make him mad.

“Maybe not…but this might.” Mikey’s wings appeared, and he jumped up into the air, doing a few circles before hovering in place and smirking. Frank tried not to look upset, but he clenched one fist. He rolled his eyes, trying to brush it off.

“That’s what I have my ship for,” he said, sounding irritated.

“Anyone can have a spaceship, but only angels have wings,” Mikey said proudly as he flew around. He was really good at it. I wondered if he might want to help me practice flying sometime. “You know that better than anyone.”

“Shut it, Michael.” Frank’s teeth ground together as he spoke, and I knew he was really angry now.

“Oh, you used my full name. I’m so scared.” I didn’t get it. Mikey didn’t sound very scared, and he definitely wasn’t acting like it.

Frank suddenly pulled out the purple spiky gun and aimed it at Mikey. My eyes widened. There was no way Frank would actually hurt him…

“You should be.” The gun made two weird sounds, like the pretty light things on the spaceship. Mikey fell and landed on the floor with a thud, purple spikes sticking out of one wing. He was yelling because it hurt so much. Before I knew what was happening, my mom ran into the room.

“What’s going on here?!”

Frank instantly put the gun away and looked at her. He looked really scared.

“He made me mad…I just…I lost control,” he said, looking away.

“…I see. Frank…” She sighed. “Leave. Now.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he muttered, turning and quickly walking away.

My mom knelt by Mikey and fixed his wing, then helped him stand up. “Are you alright?” she asked, sounding worried.

He nodded slowly. “He just attacked me out of nowhere.”

I frowned. That wasn’t true. He was being mean to Frank.

“It doesn’t seem like he would do something like that.”

“I didn’t think so either…but he can’t be trusted.”

My mom looked worried. “…he brought Angel back, though…”

Mikey shrugged, making his wings disappear. “Personally, I think Frank took him down there in the first place.”

“What?!”

“That’s what I heard,” he said. “He was the only one who knew Angel was down there.”

“I know he was out hunting demons again,” my mom said, looking confused. “Maybe Frank just…found him.”

Mikey shook his head. “I don’t think so. How would he get there otherwise? It’s not like he can fly.”

She sighed. “I don’t know, Michael. I just don’t believe he would do something like that. He wouldn’t put my son in danger…”

“He hurt me, didn’t he?” Mikey said sharply. “You didn’t think he would do that. What would stop him from bringing your son down there?”

“…I guess you’re right,” she said sadly.

“He just can’t be trusted.”

I ran after her once she left the room Mikey was in. “Mommy!”

She turned around when she heard me. “Angel?”

“Mommy, don’t be mad at Frank!” I begged her. “He didn’t take me down there.”

She picked me up and set me on the counter. “How did you get down there, then?”

I hesitated, but I knew she’d find out anyway, so I figured I might as well tell her. “I…kinda…fell, I guess. But he didn’t take me there! He helped me!”

“Wait, you fell?” she asked. I nodded. “Did you get hurt?”

“Daddy said my arm was bleeding,” I told her. “Does that mean I was hurt?” I pulled up my sleeve and showed her the place on my arm. It started stinging again when I did that. She put one hand over it and fixed it so it didn’t hurt anymore.

“Why didn’t you tell me about that?”

I shrugged. “I didn’t think about it.” I didn’t like lying to her, but I didn’t want to make her more upset. “But I promise Frank didn’t take me there.”

“Okay, okay,” she finally said. “Just as long as you’re alright.”

“So, don’t be mad at him, please?” I asked.

“I won’t be,” she said with a small smile that quickly vanished. “…then…why would Michael say that about him?”

I frowned. “I don’t know. He’s a meanieface.”

She laughed a little, then sighed. “Frank did attack him though. That’s just…unacceptable.”

“But Mikey was mean to him first!” I cried. “He also said Frank took me down there and he didn’t. How do you know he’s not lying, mommy? Just ’cause he’s an angel doesn’t mean he can’t lie.”

“Hmm.” Her eyes brightened, and she smiled. “Hey, I was wondering if you could help me with something.”

“What?” I asked. She pouted a little.

“Well, I was going to make some cookies, but I can’t do it all by myself…”

“Yay!” I tackled her in a hug, and she laughed and carried me to the kitchen. Cookies make everything better.