‹ Prequel: Eyes of the Devil

The Angel of Death

Chapter Six

I stared out at the gray clouds hovering in the sky. I had never seen it like this before; usually they were white and puffy, but today they were dark and scary, and some of them had funny flashes of light in them. They were making weird noises, like when I was hungry.

Right when I thought of that, my stomach growled. I wandered away from the window and went to find my mom. As I walked past her room to get to the kitchen, I heard a few quiet sniffles. I stopped and pushed the door open.

“Mommy?”

She was curled up on the window seat and watching the clouds too. I walked over and hopped up on the cushions next to her. “How come you’re so sad? Is it ’cause of what Mikey did?”

“No, sweetie,” she said softly, pulling me onto her lap so I could see the clouds. “I’m just thinking.”

“About what?”

“…It rained all day after he left,” she whispered with a light sigh. “After I had to send him away…”

“Who?”

“Your dad.”

A tiny drop of water fell on my hand, and I realized she was crying. The clouds rumbled outside, and water started falling out of them all over the place.

“What’s that, mommy?” I asked, pointing to it.

“That’s the rain, Angel.”

“Rain?” The word sounded so sad, just like her voice. She nodded. Now I wanted to know what my dad had done to make her so upset. I didn’t like it when she cried. I jumped off the window seat and headed towards the door.

“Where are you going, sweetie?”

“Can I go play outside?” I asked.

She nodded. “Just be careful.”

I ran outside, shivering once all the water hit me. It was a lot colder than I thought it would be. I thought that maybe if I could work on flying again, it would help me warm up. I jumped up into the air, and I felt my wings unfold from my back. I floated for a few seconds before a gust of wind caught me and carried me away from the clouds and out into open air. It wasn’t long before I started to fall.

“Mom!” I cried. She ran to see what was wrong, but I was falling too fast for her to get me. I lost sight of her just a second later.

“Hang on, kid!”

Frank was flying towards me. I twisted in the air, forgetting which way was up. I closed my eyes because I was getting so dizzy.

I heard the spaceship getting closer. I opened one eye just in time to see Frank reaching for me as I fell beneath ground level and down into the darkness once again.