Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin

Her

She had seen tragedies; truly horrendous. Children; young children lying helplessly in their deathbeds, awaiting the afterlife with their wise dying faces; so young…faces that had hardly seen the daylight of this world. She’d seen murder; the killing in cold blood of the innocent, merciless and spiteful. She’d seen lost love, the mourning of a loss of their soul mate. But, by far, what her pained eyes were staring at now was the most terrible sight she’d seen in her eighteen years. This was the sight that would haunt her for her entire lifetime; the mere echo of this moment would send shivers down her spine.

The most horrible part of it was, on her life, she could swear she was the only one who viewed it in this negative way.

Most would find it lovely; a mother, obviously the elder of the pair, yet with the burning ambition of youth sparkling on her pale cheeks. In her hand, that of her daughter; an extremely slender young thing. Most would find her normal; the mother was rather small too. But she knew something was wrong just by looking at the two. She knew when someone was meant to be what they were; and the young girl, just about fifteen, was not that size. And hadn’t it been for the slightest motion of sun beaming on her narrow wrist, she would’ve dismissed the thought entirely.

But on the girl’s bony arm was a bracelet; a bracelet laced with beads ruby red, tightly bound to her fragile limb.

A piece of jewelry she knew all too well.

The moment her eyes rested on the bloodred ornament, she felt her heart in her throat. Her car halted to a stop; from the corner of her eye she spotted the red light. Red, everything seemed to be red…

Did the mother know? Maybe she did…maybe her laughter was faux, just a lie to cover up her pain. The daughter was faking too. They were lying, lying to everyone, pretending all was well.

Or maybe she didn’t know…maybe she hadn’t the slightest idea that day by day she was losing her daughter more and more…

The very thought made her was to sob; sob so hard that her very soul shook. But she couldn’t; wouldn’t. She saw green from some point of her eye, and lifelessly pressed the gas pedal.

She was shaken; horrified. It sounded so stupid, but to her, to her it meant so much. Instantly another thought entered her mind; more of an annoyance than a horror.

Her car. No, what was on her car. That god-damned bumper sticker her therapist had forced her to use. She would’ve ripped it off, but in some frightening way, she believed it’s words.

Outer beauty; deep as skin and just as thin.

She did truly find them true, although she had a terrible way of showing it. She knew she was so wrong and idiotic; but it was far too late.

The thought of the daughter and mother re-entered her mind. With that thought, arms on the steering wheel, her eyes traveled down to her own wrist; tied around it a beaded strand of red.