Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin

Him And Her

She had finally finished; her goal for the day complete. On her bony wrists hung bags a many, filled with flimsy little blouses, all small enough for dolls; the porcelain dolls that sat impassively on mantelpieces and bureaus. But they were her inspiration; they helped her go on. They would help her taste the intoxicating flavor of success.

She was walking through the deserted lot; searching anxiously for her silver vehicle. It was by no means difficult to find; that cursed sticker on the back burst in her eyes so harshly it was as if it was written in blood.

Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin and Just As Thin

She began walking in her delicate, gracefully slow pace. It was such a short distance; but a few yards. But something seemed wrong, so terribly, drastically wrong for the frail girl.

Her spindly legs felt weak; so weak…it was as if she could not go on. The short walk from the edge of the chalk-covered sidewalk to her car seemed like a journey; so long and painful. Soon enough the colors blurred into one; a disgustingly warm and comforting black. Oh, how beautiful unconscious was! No worries, no problems; just the sweet aroma of peace. But of course she knew better than that; her secret, her very reason of life was at stake, of course she wouldn’t allow that to happen in public!

The bags of the tiny little garments had long since fallen to the hard ground. It was not too long after their dropping that she joined them; clutching her head in pain. She fought against the black, freeing unconscious that tempted her so. She was weak; powerless. There was nothing she could do but lay there, lay there waiting for something to happen; someone to find her…

It must have been fate or destiny. Because there was no force or sense less powerful to make what happened next actually happen. It only took a moment; but it was because of that instant that their souls would forever be entwined; entwined around nine cursed words that would forever snare at the depths of their minds.

Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin.

She heard them; the soft pattering footsteps, so firm, yet seemingly so far away. She could hear the ragged panting, the gasps. She knew by now there was someone. Someone…

Someone..?

Instantly it hit her; like lighting it struck her to her soul. Someone, someone would see her! Someone would find out! Someone, oh, God no!

“Are you alright?”

She couldn’t hear very well, but she could tell there was a voice. Asking something…

“Can you hear me, miss?”

The voice was still difficult to understand; just a blur of words to her blinded ears. They slurred together like a puzzle; pieces unable to be put together by the half conscious girl.

“Hellppp meeeeee.” her voice was hoarse and rough, reminding her sickeningly of a gnarled tree bark.

“Alright, miss. We’ll get you straight to a doctor, and you’ll be fine.”

The bitter taste of conscious harshly slapped the girl. The sharp feeling made her feel nauseous, and her heart began to pound. Her bright amber waves stood on ends, blue eyes bulging from her pale face. She forced them to work for at least one moment, so she could see what was going on…
“Miss, are you alright..?”

The idiotic, foolish question could’ve come from none other than a boy around her age. She could sense now that the voice was, obviously that of a man. She faced him, and was only able to make out a faint outline. He had chestnut, smooth looking hair. Chestnut…

“Can you hea-”

“No!” everything clicked now, he was going to send her there. To that place. “Oh, God don’t!”

This reaction startled the boy. He couldn’t help but feel a tremor of remorse. He just had to get involved with this girl. Had to fulfill his damned obsession.

“Well, you, uh, aren’t doing so well. So I’m going to get you to the hospital and they-”

Again, she cut him off with her ragged, broken voice. Her voice; dripping endlessly with fear.

“You can’t! You won’t!” instantly she pushed herself up. The blood ran to her head in seconds, causing her to nearly collapse. But his strong arms wrapped around her narrow waist, supporting her.

“You see, I really, really, can’t do that. I’d probably be jailed for taking a half conscious girl back to my apartment…”

He couldn't believe his luck; why wouldn't this girl cooperate?

Her fragile fingers brushed against his face, instantly causing him to jump. He stared at her then, his green eyes on her blue ones...

“Anywhere, just not there…” her sapphire eyes locked shut, her long lashes dotted with tears.

He groaned.

“Oh, God. Why me?”

Carrying her in one arm, he searched through his pockets for his phone. Once the silver gadget was out, he flipped it open, about to dial for an ambulance.

Oh, God no!

He pressed harshly onto the nine, but couldn’t help the slight tremble in his finger.

Please…

He then clicked on first one. He was sweating bullets now, his heart racing.

Anywhere but there!

It must’ve been that look, that haunting look in her blue eyes, or the feeble weak tremble in her hoarse voice. Whatever it had been, it caused him to do something crazy; criminal. Flipping his phone shut, he began to search shyly through her purse for the car keys.

Once the silver trinkets were in his possession, he impulsively walked over to her car. He already knew it was hers, just by looking at the bumper.

Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin.

After gently placing her and her belongings into the silver pries, he hopped hesitantly into the driver seat. He started the engine, making his way to his apartment. It was so frightening to think that only days ago, he didn’t have the guts to look at the driver of the car. And here he was. He was the driver now.