Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin

Them

Her head lunged upwards, locks amber whipping her pale cheeks. She was trembling, frail body shaking, encased head to toe in horror. She had relived that fateful, horrid day. Six years ago, how far away it seemed! In half a dozen years she managed to nearly destroy herself.

Caught up in her fear, she had yet to notice her surroundings. In the dim dark she was able to spot a bureau, jeans, t-shirts, and socks thrown atop it and on the ground, some falling out of the drawers. Magazines, and a picture of a green-eyed pretty girl; the glass atop the picture cracked…

It hit her like a bullet, implanted deep into her mind.

The boy.

She knew she had to get out.

She hopped out of his unmade bed, quickly compared to her normal, painstakingly slow pace. She was fully clothed in her outfit from the day before.

Could it have only been a day? A night?

Her tiny body moved throughout the apartment. She hadn’t the faintest idea where she was; haphazardly she ran through the rooms until she found the door.

She fumbled slightly with the knob until it opened. The door ajar, she escaped from the clutches of the boy’s home. She was grateful, yes. But no amount of gratefulness was worth the exposure of her secret.

Scanning the hallways, her eyes darted towards the elevator. She clicked the down button several times until the capsule decided to grace her with it’s presence. The ring chimed throughout the halls, and the doors opened.

A sigh of relief escaped her parched lips when she saw the elevator was empty.

She hurried into it, and clicked the lobby button until the damned doors closed. She was twitching; anxious from the adrenaline surging through her. Finally, the extremely slow elevator reached the ground floor, and she all but ran into the door of her escape.

The adrenaline began to wear off, but it did not stop her from her goal. She knew she had to leave at all costs.

She hurried out of the building, scanning wearily for her silver pries.

The moment her blue eyes landed on the bumper, a new goal formed in her broken mind.

She lunged for it; mercilessly tearing at the words; the nine words of the damned! The words that reached out to her from the pits of hell, surely to steal away her soul and bury it beneath the ground; but inches from hell’s burning flames, along with the others cursed! But, oh, she was so sure; so sure it was but she who would eternally be bound to these evil words, but there was another; another who had been there all along.

Outer Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin.

Beauty; Deep As Skin And Just As Thin.

Deep As Skin And Just As Thin.

As Skin And Just As Thin.

Skin And Just As Thin.

And Just As Thin.

Just As Thin.

As Thin.


She clawed in blind rage at the sticker, until her brittle nails bled and were ragged; until marks of her fingers were left on the shining silver; until one word remained.

Thin.

Her arms went limp; hung at her sides. She stared soullessly at the word, the word that brought her such happiness and meaning; yet so much pain. The word replayed in her mind over and over, until a voice, that voice, interrupted the strained silence.

“A-are you, alright?”

The sheer innocence, the worry of those words made her head turn listlessly. Her dull blue eyes stared into his green; neither once taking note of the soft raindrops descending from the skies.

“No one’s going to hurt you…it’s okay.”

The minute his words surfaced into her mind, she ran towards him. She threw her bony arms around his neck, head dipped into his shoulder. And she began to sob. She didn’t care where she was or who he was, all she knew was that there was someone.

“I-I’m Riah..” she choked into him.

All he could do was stare. Days ago, this situation would’ve never even entered his mind. But here he was, in front of his apartment, a broken girl in his arms.

His eyes finally caught the shreds of paper on the ground. He knew exactly what they were.

The end of him.

He then looked back at Riah.

“I’m Matt…and it’s okay Riah. I’m here now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I have never written an author's note, and just wanted to say thank you to all my readers ^__^
The story is far from over x)

And to everyone wondering what the bracelet means; it was not meant to be a secret, more like symbolism. But since it came out like that, I'll have you find out later :P