Status: FINALLY FINISHED!

Do Mine Eyes Deceive Me...A Gorgeous Sadistic Vampire?

Sixteen: Important Matters

Image

Twenty minutes later, after a surprisingly comfortable piggy-back ride, I was standing in the middle of a secluded haven of beauty. All around us willow trees cast out their long branches that made it feel inside and outside at the same time.

Harrison and I were standing in the middle of a ring or flowers. I recognized roses of every color imaginable, tulips, orchids, and I smelled lavender, but couldn't quite find it.

"Welcome to my sanctuary," Harrison said, spreading his arms apart and sitting down on the ground.

I walked over to him and lay down on my back so I could face the leaves. We sat in silence for a few moments. I couldn't determine whether it was awkward or comfortable, though.

"I think we should have that party you mentioned earlier. You need to get used to being around other vampires than just this one. They're not all bad, you know," Harrison snickered good-naturedly.

"Really? I thought it would be fun!" I said. "But that's not what we're here to discuss, is it?"

"No," he sighed, and I noticed his hand twitch. What was he reaching for?

"Harrison, if we have to forge this relationship, then I want to know what Devlin and you were talking about," I said softly, trying not to be too pushy.

I sat up and wrapped my arms around my knees. I closed my eyes and waited for him to answer.

Silence. Then, a marble thumb and forefinger trapped my chin gently. My face was turned to meet a pair of blazing ruby eyes that were startlingly close to me.

"We were talking about you, Joanalie," he said hesitantly.

I didn't move. I definitely had not been expecting 'important matters' to be me.

"Go on . . ." I whispered. The hand on my face tightened a bit, but not uncomfortably.

"Devlin is part of the ICOI, and they have certain ways of detecting or tracing humans who are undergoing the transformation process. Usually, they just look into it a bit and make sure they have a mentor. Well, in your case, the readings were off the chart. They have a device called the Rykometer. It assesses the power level in each potential immortal.
"That's why they sent Devlin here. His job is assigning mentors or dealing with new-borns. The Council doesn't think that I am a suitable mentor because we're spouses. They're also quite angry that I didn't tell them that I bit you," he explained.

I was quiet. I didn't know what to say. I was going to be some kick-ass vampire with an exceeding amount of power. But, that meant spending a lot of time with some formal Council immortal.

"Who's my mentor?" I asked, realizing just as I said it that I already knew the answer.

"Devlin," he whispered.

I'm not sure what happened after that. Something inside of me actually rejoiced. I was happy to spend more time with the hybrid who could read minds. I wanted to get to know that mysterious creature better, even though he irked me.

I couldn't think then. The pressure on my jaw tightened. It was growing gradually harder. I looked into Harrison's eyes, wondering what was going on. He was staring directly into my eyes and seeing everything and nothing at the same time. I saw a look of the deepest melancholy within him.

I didn't understand, but I also didn't have time to ponder it for long, because the pressure was hurting. I could almost feel my bone being pulverized beneath his stone grip.

"Harrison . . . what's going on?" I asked. It was followed my a whimper, and I was immediately disgusted with myself. I was no damsel in distress. Since when did I stoop to showing weakness?

But I couldn't help it. If I didn't stop him now, he was going to break my jaw.

I lifted my hand to his and tried to pry his fingers away from me, but to no avail. My eyes had started to water and I was feeling something beyond just pain. My heart went out to him in that moment, looking into his eyes. He looked lost, but i knew that couldn't be right.

"You're hurting me," I tried, my voice cracking. Then, he snapped two things. First, out of his reverie. Second my jaw. He'd dislocated it and possibly broke it.

I fell back and was laying down unable to make a sound. Every time I tried to speak, a shock of pain electrocuted me.

At first I didn't know where Harrison had gone and wondered if he'd left me here in his sanctuary to heal alone.

Then, I was lifted up and slung over his shoulder. I felt the sensation of flying, and knew he was taking me home. All the time, all was silent, except for Harrison whispering something to himself over and over again that sounded peculiarly like 'Why?'

I lost track of time, but it seemed like we made it back to the house in less than ten minutes. Even as I was set down in a bed, I felt like I was falling instead of flying.

"I'm sorry," he said, my eyes closed. Did he think I was sleeping? "Goodbye."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohh my Goddd, I'm sorry. It's been kind of a long time, hasn't it? I think I'm only going to be able to update on the weekends from now on! You have no idea how many times I tried to get on the computer this week, but I either had homework, or my brother would be on, or my sister would be on, or my dad would be uploading pictures onto it, or I'd have a family obligation or something like that.

Anyway, I know this ending was sort of another cliffhanger but I already have Seventeen set up in my mind and I have big plans for it. Tell me if you liked this chapter! Please, I'm begging for comments? That's not too pathetic, is it? Hehe, *cough*justkidding*cough*

♥MK

©Copyrighted