Status: FINALLY FINISHED!

Do Mine Eyes Deceive Me...A Gorgeous Sadistic Vampire?

Thirty-Five: Lies

Image

It was quite the interesting trio, let me tell you. Claire, Shayd, and I all sitting around a two-seater table in the cafe. Not so unexpectedly, this cafe wasn't quite like any one I'd ever been to before. The cashier behind the counter wasn't human, for one. This one happened to be a big troll with a name tag that read "Call me Lars"

He served many different kinds of drinks. No food was in sight, but some of the beverages were chunky enough to possibly pass as a food item. Of course, there was blood (human and animal) for the vampires. There were jugs of a clear, foamy-looking liquid that read "Human Saliva," when I looked up close. That only made me want to gag. There were also two other types of clear liquids in jugs. The first labeled, "Homosapien Tears." The other was a human's sweat. It was rather repulsive.

Outside of your basic human liquids, there were lots of glumpy, dark-colored concoctions that I didn't bother looking at the labels of lest I get sick. I was the new girl, after all, and I wanted to make a good impression on everybody. Shayd ordered some Tears, and Claire ordered a light, sparkling, pink substance. I asked her what it was.

"Oh, this?" she pointed at her princess-themed cup. "Unicorn extract. It'd deliciously sweet, would you like to try some?"

I politely declined, not wanting to know what they extracted from the unicorn. Apparently, however, Shayd and Claire had never met before. This surprised me, seeing as they both had bright, bubbly, enthusiastic personalities. Shayd was a little bit darker though, whereas everything was jubilant about Claire's aura.

"So, Joanalie, where are you from?" Claire asked me. "And how did you and Shayd meet?"

"I'm from the United States, and about how Shayd and I met. The new teacher was showing me the ropes, and Shayd had to deliver a message to Mr. . . . what was his last name again? I don't remember. Anyway, the teacher left to a meeting, and Shayd took me on a tour." I explained smoothly. Lying came much more naturally as an immortal. I suppose that was a good thing.

'It doesn't sound right - you referring to me as a teacher.'

I laughed, which earned me a confused look from my two companions. "Inside joke?" I tried. They seemed satisfied, but I hated lying to them. Even if I didn't know them very well yet, how can someone build a friendship when one of the participants is building it on lies?

'I don't know, Harrison,' I whispered to him in my mind with a giggle. 'It's kind of sexy, isn't it? Student/teacher relationship . . . sounds a little bit kinky to me.'

"That's really fascinating, you know?" Claire said. "I've never met an American before!"

"Neither have I," Shayd commented with a smirk. "But they're supposed to be the best . . ."

"The best at what?" Claire cocked her head naively.

"Oh, you know, this and that," Shayd chuckled with a wink in my direction. I rolled my eyes.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I said.

"Take a joke, Joanalie," he teasted, before beginning to explain the 'joke' to Claire.

'Are you purposely trying to drive me up the wall?' he hissed. I took a peek into his mind and saw that he was setting up his new classroom. 'Because it's working

Suddenly, I cleared my throat. "You know what, you guys? I am going to go look around some more. By myself, if you don't mind. Everything new around here is just overwhelming, and I think I need a walk," I explained. It was mostly honest after all.

"Sure thing. Just come find us if you need anything," Shayd said. Claire nodded and waved goodbye. Now, of course, I felt even worse for simply half-lying to them. They were both just so nice.

Regardless, I made my way to Building F unhesitantly. That was where all the classrooms were held, Claire and Shayd had told me. I had no idea which room would be Harrison's, because I was trying to pretend like I was still talking to Claire and Shayd in my mind. I wanted to surprise him. I didn't even know what subject Harrison would be teaching. I didn't even know what subjects would be taught at a school like this!

Did immortals need Math and Science and English? Or would there be weird classes like "Human Hunting 101"? I don't think it would be a good idea for me to take that class. I would probably refuse to participate and then fail the class. Then, I would just be stuck as a Novice for eternity and be forever looked down upon by Eris the Almighty.

'So glad I'm such an optimist.

Then, I strained my ears, listening for any sound of activity in the building. I heard the shuffling of graceful footsteps, and the squeak of metal moving across tile floor. That seemed like a good place to start.

I was on the top floor before I blinked and it took me a moment to realize that I had actually flown here. My powers were surprising me every day. I decided that I would try my best not to do that once school started.

"That's a pretty handy talent you have, there," a deep, but somehow shrill voice leered from behind.

I wheeled around to see Eris walking towards me from the other end of the hall.

"I don't know what you're talking about," was my immediate response. My cheeks would have flushed had there been enough blood to rush to my face. My hearts just couldn't beat fast enough though, so thankfully I was saved.

"Don't lie to me, Rivers," she sneered, taking out that enigmatic comb and brushing her long hair. As she got closer, I could see her eyes - you know, the ones that didn't have any pupils - and they were seriously creepy. "I won't take to it kindly. And don't think you can just go flying around my school whenever you damn well please, you insolent novice. You don't even know how to be an immortal, so watch where you go, because if you step out of line once, I will personally take you down."

On the inside, I was breaking down with laughter. That was probably the cheesiest threat I'd ever heard! And this girl was definitely trying to pull off the Darth Vader voice.

I rearranged my face into a fearful look. "Oh g-golly, Eris," I stuttered. "I'm so sorry . . . whatever you say, from now on." My eyes got theatrically wide and I turned my lips into a pout, regretfully. I hated doing that.

She only turned around and began stalking back down the hallway muttering under her breath. It wasn't hard to make words out like "Disrespectful little . . . Immature maggot . . . stubborn bit- . . ."

I stood silent and unmoving for the remaining moments it took Eris to completely exit the building, all the while maintaining the imaginary conversation in my head to decoy Harrison a while longer. I'd almost let the blockade down when Eris surprised me, but I'd managed.

Then, I headed in the direction of the room where I sensed a body, and opened the door.

It had never occured to me why Eris had been up here in the first place.

©Copyrighted
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so I know this one came out a little later than normal on weekends, but I'm doing my best, I promise! I hope you enjoy it, and I would really love lots of comments, because I only got about 4 between last chapter and this one. Thank you for those that did, however! I love you all, no matter what. =D

♥MK