Status: FINALLY FINISHED!

Do Mine Eyes Deceive Me...A Gorgeous Sadistic Vampire?

Forty-Seven: Advance

Image

"Coach?" I asked when she entered the gym. Today was the day I was going to change a little something in this class.

"What do you want, America?" she asked me in a bored voice, but with a cheeky grin. I guess I'd earned her respect last class.

"I was wondering if I could talk to the girls in this class before we get started," I suggested innocently.

I could tell she was about to snap at me with some smart-ass comment because she got that sarcastic look in her eye and her mouth opened. Then, I suppose she changed her mind, because her mouth snapped shut and she nodded her head.

I shooed the males off the bleachers and told them to do whatever they wanted; play tag or something. I didn't pay any attention to the fact that they were actually all just sitting on the gym floor behind me, watching the show as I talked to the girls.

"Ladies," I began, using my most polite voice. "In order to pass this class . . . participation is required. At this school it is my understanding that if you fail one class, then you don't move up to the next grade the following year. I'm sure all of you don't want to be Novices the rest of your lives, am I correct? And anyways, I don't quite understand the reason for you lack of cooperation. I know you all have impeccable physical abilities. I mean, we're all immortal here, right? We all have that extra grace, speed, strength that no humans could ever imagine. So why aren't you using it to your advantage? I don't see the point of laying around here all class because you're too busy acting like prissy little snobs. Excuse me for being rude, but that's reality right now. UPA is a great school, and it's the first place I've been since I was Turned that I feel even halfway comfortable. You girls have all been immortal your entire lives. Why can't you accept it and embrace it?"

There was lots of hollering and hoots of agreement behind me but I paid no notice. I was waiting for the girls' reactions. I wanted my speech to have somewhat of an impact on them.

They all remained completely silent. Nobody looked the least bit phased. I continued to stare them down expectantly. Now I was getting a little impatient.

"Okay, what the hell?" I screamed at them, not caring if Coach Steele got angry. Her clomping centaur hooves couldn't keep up with me anyways. "Do you girls not know how to speak?"

"We can talk," one girl finally spoke up. She was a shapeshifter with pretty red hair, and dull purple eyes. "But Eris said we're not allowed to speak to any of the Turned. She said that guys didn't like it when girls participated in E.R. class and that you were just a dumb slut."

I clenched my hands up into fists, squeezing my eyes shut tightly. Eris. Of course all this was her fault. She'd brainwashed all the novice (and probably all the other grades, too) girls to think that I was some leper and ER was repulsive.

"Has Eris ever actually befriended any of you girls?" I asked. "Has she ever actually hung out with you and been nice other than when she wanted something?"

Nobody said anything, but the silence was all I needed. "I didn't think so. That's because Eris is - I'm sorry Coach - a self-righteous bitch who only thinks of herself, okay? I guess she's just trying to attract more guys to her or something, and she hates me because she thinks her title as QueenBitch Bee of the school is in danger." I explained. "So, please don't listen to her again. Nothing beneficial will ever come of it."

Just then the doors on the far side of the gym were pulled open. Standing there was Headmaster Rynost. He looked just as I remembered him. Only now did it occur to me that I had no idea of his species. He could have been any number of them. His skin tone was neither pale or tan, his hair the most medium shade of brown I'd ever seen, and his eyes kind of changed color as he walked. It was between a light pinkish color to a dark crimson.

"Miss Rivers, I would like to see you in my office," he announced with a kind smile. I nodded, gathered my bag, and followed him out of the gym. We walked in amiable silence all the way to his office, which the first and only time I'd ever met him a few days ago.

I sat in the very same chair I had the first time, and obviously, so did he.

"That was quite a speech you made back there," the headmaster commented. I was about to thank him.

"Oh . . . you heard all of that, sir?" I inquired politely. I wasn't sure what the rule was about calling other students self-righteous bitches.

"Yes, I did Miss Rivers. And I'm quite impressed. I was wondering what the reason was for all of the girls sudden percentage decreases in ER. I'm actually very pleased that I didn't have to be stern with them myself. Sometimes, the girls at this school don't respond well to me for whatever reason," Professor Rynost said. I nodded my head, but quirked my eyebrows at the end. I couldn't understand how anyone could be . . . unresponsive to the Headmaster. He was polite, understanding, and friendly.

I didn't say anything, because I was not asked a question, and it seemed like his speech had been rhetorical.

"You're probably wondering why this old man is sitting her babbling about your impressiveness rather than talking to you about something seemingly more important such as your academics," he said. I smiled, showing him that he was right on the dot, but I wasn't complaining.

"Well, actually I've decided to advance you to a higher grade. It seems like the Novice work is not quite up to your level," he explained, inclining his head toward me. Now I knew it was my place to speak.

"Thank you, sir. I would be glad to move up the Secondary level," I said.

Then, he laughed. I wondered if I'd misunderstood before he began talking again. "No, I'd actually like to move you up two grades from a Novice, which would make you an Initiate. I think that should suit you for the time being. It seems like you're adapting to this school alarmingly fast and I have no doubt that you'll be a Chiefan in no time."

"I'm honored that you think so," I replied, standing up and grabbing my bag.

"You are dismissed. Have a nice day, Miss Rivers," he waved goodbye.

I walked out of his office and flew (not literally this time; just running really fast) back to the locker room to change into my uniform. I was running to Developmental Studies before I realized who the teacher was and I should certainly not have been in such a hurry to get here.

'Congratulations on the advance, Joanalie. I'm sorry I couldn't get you out of this class. Rynost was just asking too many questions and I was afraid to give anything away. I'll be there in a flash if Calhoun gives you too much trouble. Don't hesitate to call . . . or ditch his class.'

I just said thanks in response to Harrison. He and I both knew I could take care of myself, and I wasn't going to chicken out because that would give Devlin a satisfaction he didn't deserve. I had a feeling the hardest part of this class wasn't going to be remembering to call him "Mr. Livend."

The bell rang as I opened the door, and made it into my seat.

"You were nearly late, Joan. Care to explain?" an unbearably cocky voice asked from the front of the room.

"No thanks," I said shortly, looking past him to see what was on the board for us to do. All it said was a page number. I quickly found my D.S. book and opened to the right page, before looking back up at Devlin, seeing what he wanted us to do.

He shot a subtle smirk in my direction before addressing the class. "Today, we're going to have an oral exam. I'll be reading from the questions in the book, and everybody in the class will get a chance to tell me their answer to each question. And don't think you can cheat. They're personal questions, and I expect everyone's answers to be individual."

I groaned inwardly, fearing what this would lead to after looking at some of the questions in the book.

"Miss Rivers, since you were nearly late, I think it's only first that you get the honor of going first. Why don't you come to the front of the class?" he suggested in his teacher voice. I fought the violent urge to roll my eyes.

"If you could change one single thing from your past, what would it be?" he read aloud from the text book. I folded my arms and looked up at the ceiling, thinking for a long moment.

I knew what he was expecting me to say. He wanted to admit that I resented being bitten by Harrison, that I wish my life could go back to the way it was before that dark night. As much as I missed my parents, my baby brother and sister, my friends . . . I knew I would see them all again someday. Harrison promised me. And I loved Harrison. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

"Well, you see," I began with a smirk on my face. "A little while ago, I met this guy. He had this nasty long red hair and he was some sort of hybrid I think. I don't really remember. Anyways, he was probably the most despicable impersonation of an immortal that I'd ever had the misfortune to meet. If I could change anything in my past . . . I would wish that I'd never met him."

©Copyrighted
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh gosh, I know I'm reallly really late! And I'm so sorry for that! You know how it is though. It's summer in The States and I have a lot going on, inluding running a mile three times a week for summer PE! Yeah, so I'm still sweaty and smelly from that. I need to shower, but I figured I'd finish this chapter instead! I tried to make it as long as possible and leave it with a ncie ending because I know it wasn't the most exciting chapter! Anyways, please comment, and I'll do my best to get updates out sooner! My Malfoy story has been updated, too if you wanna check that out.

Remember you can always check my profile for information on all my stories!

♥MK