Status: FINALLY FINISHED!

Do Mine Eyes Deceive Me...A Gorgeous Sadistic Vampire?

Fifty-Three: The Letter

Image

It was a new day of classes, and I didn't really want to go. Today would be my first day as an Initiate instead of a novice. I was a little worried that Eris the Skank-Bitch would come after me for advancing my grade. I was fairly certain I was more powerful than she was, but something about her still gave me the spooks. Maybe it was the fact that she'd been sleeping with Devlin. . .

All of the class work did seem a bit harder, but I was still getting through it without much trouble. Everything seems a little pointless today, after learning that there was a war on the horizon, and we were sitting her learning about "valuable life skills for any immortal." Please. Massage therapy wasn't going to help anybody when battling for their lives. Then again, I wanted to stay out of the war as much as I could.

In Cal's class, I paid no attention whatsoever. He kept trying to send me subtle hints about running away with him to America. I was about to laugh in his face. He should know by now that there was no way in hell I was ever going anywhere alone with him ever again.

At lunch, I sat with Shayd and Claire. They were just about the only normal, non-stressful part of my life now. I relished the time that I just got to hang out and talk with my friends.

"My life isn't normal, right?" I asked them. I was lying down on my back on a picnic bench with my head on Shayd's lap and Claire was sitting cross-legged on the table surface above me. "I mean, even for immortals, everything that's happening to me cannot be normal."

Shayd laughed, and I rolled my eyes up at him. "Joan, you should know by now that you're definitely not normal, even by immortal standards you're a bit of a freak."

"Shayd!" Claire chastised, whacking him on the shoulder.

"What, Claire? I'm not gonna lie to the poor girl!" he defended, rubbing his shoulder. I laughed at the pair of them.

"No, please," I said sarcastically. "I appreciate that he wouldn't want to spare my feelings . . ."

"So," Claire began, trying to change the subject. "How was your first day as an Initiate?"

I groaned. School was the last thing I wanted to think about, even if that's where I was right now. It just seemed so petty at times like this. "It was stupid, " I said childishly. " . . . But you know what? We should have a sleepover tonight!"

They were both quiet. "A sleepover? Joan, how old are you, honestly?" Shayd teased.

"I think it sounds like a fun idea," Claire said quietly. "We might get in trouble though, for having a boy in a girl's dorm all night."

I exhaled. "This school is ridiculous! We're allowed to have student-teacher affairs, but we can't have boys in our room at night?! I mean, who the hell makes these rules up?"

"That would be myself, Miss Rivers," Headmaster Rynost chimed in. I shot up off of Shayd's lap and nearly flipped Claire off the picnic table.

"Oh, hello . . . Headmaster," I said sheepishly. Why did I not sense him coming? Probably because I'm so deep in thought about everything that I've gotten myself into. That's the first time anyone's snuck up on me while I've been immortal . . . Then again, I guess it's his job to peep on his students, isn't it?

"Nice to see the two of you, as well," Rynost said, indicating Claire and Shayd. "Glad you've been staying out of trouble since Joan, here arrived."

I nearly snorted. I just found it very hard to believe that my presence had anything to do with keeping them out of trouble. Claire hardly seemed the mischievous type anyways, and Shayd . . . well I figured he would just always be getting into things. It was just his way.

"She's a good influence on us," Claire complimented. I looked at her confused, but shrugged it off.

"Miss Rivers, would you come to my office for a moment? I believe there's something we have to discuss," Rynost suggested.

I got up and went over to him, turning around to face my friends. "I'll see you guys tonight? If we're still on for our . . . uh, plans."

They nodded with a smile, and I walked away with Rynost. Why did it seem like I was spending more time with the Headmaster than most other students these days? He didn't say anything as we walked back to his office, and I wondered if I was in trouble, if this was just another pointless meeting to ask me how I liked being an initiate, or if something bad had happened to Harrison.

I didn't want to ask any questions yet, for fear of what the answer might be. All I did was remain quiet until I was seated in his office and he was handing me an envelope.

"What's this?" I asked, trying to sound polite.

He just gestured for me to open and read it. I did so.

Dear Joanalie,

I'm so sorry I had to leave without saying goodbye, but Gregorovich wouldn't allow it, and I figured it might be easier this way. Now, before you even think of it, this is not my final farewell letter or anything like that. I'm simply letting you know where I've gone for the time being.
He and Myra have taken me back to the palace to prepare for my coronation. I don't have a choice, and I need to help them to be ready for the War. You'll be staying at UPA under the careful eye of Headmaster Rynost for three more weeks until you join me in the Kingdom.
You don't know how sorry I am that you will be part of the war. I know you probably feel like this is all being forced upon you, but don't worry. I'm not going to let anything bad happen.
If Devlin gives you any trouble, either let Rynost know, or contact me (you know how) and I'll be there faster than you can blink.
I wish I was still back there with you, care-free and not about to take on the duty of Head Vampire and a war at the same time. I can't wait to see you again, albeit that means involving you in things that I'd rather you stay far away from. Again, I'm truly filled with remorse for putting you through all of this.
Do me one favor while we're apart, please. Be careful, stay out of trouble, and away from Devlin. Oh, you're right . . . that's three favors. However, they all go together more or less. See you soon enough.

Love, Harrison.


Without a word to Rynost, I stormed out of his office and I was in my room in a nano-second, feeling that almost-familiar dizzy sensation. Damn, that transporting. I was almost too furious to even notice it though. How dare he just up and leave! He left me here all by myself! He was the only one I even knew when we first came here!

'Joanalie . . . I'm so sorry . . . I didn't think this would upset you so badly. Otherwise I would have fought harder to allow you to see me off.'

I gasped. 'You! Don't you talk to me right now. I just canNOT handle that right now . . . Ugh! Harrison, how could you!? You didn't even put up a fight! Never mind . . . Have fun playing King.'

I leaned back on my bed, rubbing the balls of my palms into my eyes. How could this be happening. How could Harrison let this happen, first of all? What was I supposed to do for 3 weeks without him?

Then, I wanted to slap myself. I was sounding like one of those pathetic girlfriends who couldn't even function properly when she wasn't with her boyfriend. Well, I would show him. I could do just fine on my own. After all, I wasn't really on my own, was I? I had Rynost. Oh, and Shayd & Claire, of course. Thank god for them.

Maybe I was just so mad because I really didn't know what to do without Harrison. We'd practically been attached at the hip for the last couple of months. But I could do this. I would show him.

©Copyrighted
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to post this a couple hours ago but Dujo was doing things to the Story Update Section, so I couldn't put it up until now. I know I'm a day late, but you guys should probably just be used to me not meeting the deadline anymore. I was going to finish writing it last night after dinner, but my neighbor was watching the Hangover and he wanted me to watch it with him. I'm glad I did though; it was hilarious!

Anyways, I know this was not the best of chapters, I have a lot on my mind, such as an RP on Polyvore, school starting this week, soccer, and I'm still finishing my summer reading list =/ So please comment anyways, I will love you forever. Only TWO MORE chapters till the end.

♥MK